cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

New to Nest and Google Home

mrehorst
Community Member

I installed the Learning Nest gen 3 thermostat yesterday- easy-peasy, had it working about 20 minutes after opening the package.  Can't test AC functionality now because it's too cold out.

I am in a cold climate and heating now. I have ceiling fans in 3 rooms that I normally run when heating. If I install google home compatible wifi fan switches, is there a way to link the fan switches to the thermostat so the fans will turn on when heating starts and run for a 1/2 hour after target temperature has been reached?

I have some curtains that are motorized and wifi enabled. Is there a way to use weather data (example, sunny/cloudy and temperature) to open and close the curtains automatically? I have several very large widows facing East and getting direct sun in the morning. In the winter (temperature) I'd like those curtains to open a little after sunrise and stay open until they no longer get direct sun. Is google intelligent enough to gather the necessary data and use rules to handle the necessary switching? 

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

kiltguy2112
Silver Product Expert
Silver Product Expert

Not using Google home natively. Google routines don't currently trigger from a device state.  Check over at the Home Assistant or Smartthings communities and if they have a solution for you. 

Curt
Community Member

The wifi enabled motorized curtains, depending on the type/brand of switch/plug can be controlled. I control some lights using the Smart tab of the Tuya app. I have lights that turn on or off sunrise/sunset related and some that turn on when it is cloudy. If the Tuya app is not compatible, I'm sure there are others. Good Luck!

mrehorst
Community Member

Thanks! That's sort of what I expected.

I'm not sure why Google can't pull all the information together, given its reach into literally everything, but maybe they have chosen not to because it would probably be a tech support nightmare.

Snebarekim
Community Member

I have the same issue.  i would like my completely dumb ceiling fans in 4 rooms to only come on when my Nest (Gen 2) thermostat is actively calling for heat or cool. Compatible wifi wall switch that works with Google home?