cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

2.4Ghz is suddenly very poor

PristDean
Community Member

So, having configured the 'Guest' network (2.4Ghz) and purchased a Google Wifi extender point, it was working, but not great for months, now I suddenly have a bunch of issues. I placed numerous devices on the network including my house battery, robot lawn mower, garage and house Tapo devices etc. 

All was working, until suddenly. Tapo devices will turn on, but will not turn off. House battery will not connect via 'Local Network' mode, Robot mower drops its connection now and again.

Before Google suggests, I have rebooted my router and modem, restarted the network, ensured UPnP is enabled and AP isolation is not enabled. However, nothing I can see on my network has changed.

So how did I fix it ?... I enabled 2.4Ghz on my modem, connected all relevant devices to that and disabled my Google Guest 2.4.  Now everything works just fine, in fact seems more responsive than when on the Google 2.4.

Poor show Google.

1 REPLY 1

olavrb
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Just two observations:

1. You say guest Wi-Fi is 2.4ghz only, but it's not. It's just like the primary SSID; 2.4ghz and 5ghz (and 6ghz if Nest Wifi Pro) combined into one SSID.

2. Sounds like you haven't put your modem into bridge mode / bypass mode / passthrough mode, which is best practice for performance and reliability. Doing so could help.

---

Some poorly designed client devices, often printers and IoT stuff, doesn't handle combined SSID very well. For those it might be a better option to add a 2.4ghz only access point to your setup, like repurposing an old router for the purpose. Else look into a different Wi-Fi solution than Nest Wifi, Google haven't shown any willingness to make life with 2.4ghz only devices easier for Nest Wifi users.

I don't work for Google.