cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Connect to 5ghz band

Anthony2400
Community Member

How do I connect my Samsung S22+ to the 5ghz band on my nest wifi router. I've used different apps to check and they always show 2.4ghz, no matter what task I'm doing or how far/close I am to the router.

5 REPLIES 5

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Client devices themselves decide which of your Wifi points and which band to connect to, and also when to switch between the bands. Like most Wifi systems, Google Wifi and Nest Wifi use industry standard mechanisms (known as 802.11k and 802.11v) to help devices make these decisions. However, not all devices support those specifications, or if they do, they arguably may not implement them particularly well.

The most common reason your devices would keep connecting to the 2.4GHz band is simply because it gets a better connection in that band. I don't know where your device is in relation to your Wifi points but it may be that it's too far away to get a good connection or there's obstacles in the way. However, it doesn't sound like that's the case if you've tried it close to the router. 

Try this as a test:

1. Power off your other Wifi points, leaving just your Nest Wifi Router online.
  2. Power off your Nest Wifi Router, wait a few seconds then power it back on again.
  3. Restart your phone.

In the same room as your router. when your phone restarts, does is still connect at 2.4 GHz?

Thanks for the reply, but I actually don't have any wifi points linked, only the main router, and yes, the same thing happens despite how close or far i am. Even after restarting the router it connects to the 2.4ghz band. Weirdly enough, my Samsung 8 series tv connects to the 5ghz band so I know it works.

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

If other devices connect without issue on the 5 GHz band that suggests an issue with the phone. I wonder if it's running the latest software? You might also want to consider contacting Samsung support.

Sorry I should have been more specific, only my samsung tv out of all my other devices connect to the 5ghz band. I have multiple other devices that only detect 2.4ghz. I guess this is a fault of google for not providing the option to switch between the 2.

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

That's not the case because as I mentioned previously it is your devices themselves that decide which of your Wifi points and which band to connect to, and also when to switch between the bands. This is fundamental to how Wifi works so that's why you don't see the option to change this in the settings on Nest Wifi. 

Another cause of this kind of behaviour is wireless interference. I'd suggest checking into this using these steps:

Troubleshoot wireless interference - Google Nest Help