I am in Australia, and on a ~100mpbs ISP plan. Using the wifi has been great but noticed that after every 3-4days my internet speeds slows down to ~40mpbs. A restart of network or switching the wifi modem off and back on brings it back to ~100mpbs... I have been doing this for the last 2mths since using this GOOGLE product which is getting kind of annoying.
Anyone has a solution? I expected more from Google.
NOTE: I have read others who may experienced this and advised to buy a timer power to shut down the modem nightly.
I was curious if you had checked their thread for context and just to make you aware that it's an issue we're seeing and working on. While we've seen the problem with multiple users, it's definitely being addressed internally and I'm hoping I have news to share about a fix sooner than later. When I know more, I'll share it here.
I just wanted to let you know that we have a new firmware release coming soon that may clear up your issues. You don't need anything to receive the update, it will download and install automatically for you. While I look for other answers, let's see if that update fixes things.
The update is pushed out automatically, so there's nothing you need to do in order to download and install it. It's pushing out now, and everyone will have it within the next two weeks.
That's good that you're not seeing any current issues, vietntrans. Hopefully that holds up and we don't have any more issues. Thanks for the update.
I know we have been waiting on that update, but it's been a while since we've checked in. I wanted to see if you got that firmware release and to see if it improved anything on your end. If you're still waiting for the firmware, it should arrive real soon. Let me know if you have seen any changes on your network.
Hi Jeff. I got the update but unfortunately it has not fixed my speed issue properly. My standard speed has actually DROPED a bit. However when I used the prioritise device feature I can get close to native speed to my ISP. However there is some strange throttling sill happening even when you are just using the ethernet passthrough from the nest router. Its definitely software bug given that I can be temporarily fixed by selecting prioritise device. Previously when I prioritised a device there was not change in the wireless or wired speed.