cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Help upgrading Google Wifi to Nest Wifi without original modem/router

howaboutme
Community Member

Hi,

I need help upgrading from the original Google Wifi to the Nest Wifi (not pro). I have read this old thread that I believe may be the most relevant: https://www.googlenestcommunity.com/t5/Nest-Wifi/Nest-Wifi-Pro-without-modem-using-fiber-Help-with-s...

My question is, cannot do the following:

1. Create a new (second) home.

2. Unplug the google wifi router from power and from the ethernet cable

3. Plug new Nest wifi router for power and with the ethernet cable.

4. Install Nest Wifi through the Google Home app.

5. Install point(s)

6. Move everything to the new home.

7. Factory reset the original Google wifi (so I can sell it or give it away)

8. Rename the new home to the original home (not needed, just being picky).

My point is, I have no modem. 

Thanks,

2 Recommended AnswerS

olavrb
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

As long as the ethernet cable coming into the first/main/master Nest Wifi is one of the supported WAN types:

It should be just to set up from scratch, following the set up guide:

Your current Google Wifi gets an internet connection from that ethernet cable, so the "no modem" part is irrelevant.

Verizon Fios had some info about using a third party router as well, don't know if that's relevant:

---

TLDR; factory reset your current Google Wifi, set up Nest Wifi from scratch. But just power down Google Wifi, create new Google Home home, try to set up Nest Wifi there before factory reset Google Wifi, if you want to be "safe".

I don't work for Google.

View Recommended Answer in original post

howaboutme
Community Member

The force was with me!!!

It worked. I created a new home. The set up was NOT easy. I had to re-do it a few times, restart either the router or the point a few times to complete it. But it all ended up working and most of my devices re-found the network and connected automatically. A few needed a restart/refresh to connect. I then slowly moved every device over from the original home to the new home.

My next steps will be to delete the network and then the home. Then do a hard reset using the button for the Google Wifi and then rename the new home back to the original home.

I think Google should make it easier. It seems that the device set up is really meant for people new to the pipeline.

Thanks for your help!

View Recommended Answer in original post

13 REPLIES 13

juarezavila
Community Member

In this case i would recommend you to do a factory reset of the network on the app and then set up the nest Wifi router 

In this way you dont have to move all the devices to a new home 

I don't think this will work because after I reset the existing Google Wifi, I DO NOT have a modem to connect the Nest Wifi router to. In previous threads on here and on other forums, it seems like when you do NOT have a modem, you cannot plug the Nest Wifi in and configure because it doesn't receive internet. Please look at the thread I linked, it's similar issue. Thank you.

Ohhhh, i see, srry i did not get it, in this case you need a modem to get internet connection, when you have a modem to connect the nest wifi router and if you have any issue during the set up you can try contact the google customer support https://support.google.com/googlenest/gethelp?hl=en

So I'm clear to any others that are reading this. I don't have a modem. I don't need a modem. I have Verizon Fios, fiber, I connect my Cat 6 cable directly to my current Google Wifi router. This is not a new issue as you can see from the link I referenced in my initial post. Thank you.

olavrb
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

As long as the ethernet cable coming into the first/main/master Nest Wifi is one of the supported WAN types:

It should be just to set up from scratch, following the set up guide:

Your current Google Wifi gets an internet connection from that ethernet cable, so the "no modem" part is irrelevant.

Verizon Fios had some info about using a third party router as well, don't know if that's relevant:

---

TLDR; factory reset your current Google Wifi, set up Nest Wifi from scratch. But just power down Google Wifi, create new Google Home home, try to set up Nest Wifi there before factory reset Google Wifi, if you want to be "safe".

I don't work for Google.

Good morning! Thank you for your response.

My GHome app tells me that my FIOS WAN is set to DHCP.

I agree when you say that the ethernet cable (which comes directly from the ONT box) should be the internet so the modem is irrelevant. However, it didn't work the first time, perhaps because I didn't delete the existing network (from the Google Wifi) or I didn't use the 2nd "home" trick.

Since I've already switched over from the Verizon Router to my own, I have already completed that step years ago.

The last part. Are you suggesting that I unplug the current Google Wifi Router (and points), plug the new Nest Wifi Router (and points) and see if that works? I assume it won't until I either delete the old network (which I am reluctant to do) or create a 2nd "home", like the other person did in the thread I linked earlier. Only after the Nest Wifi is set up do I plug the old Google wifi router in to do the reset?

Thanks again!

olavrb
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Yes, it won't "just work". Either delete current Google Wifi network before unplugging it, or create a new Google Home home and set up the new Nest Wifi network there. I'd just delete the old Google Wifi network.

Reuse your current wireless network name (SSID) and password, then your wireless devices should reconnect.

I don't work for Google.

Thank you.

I'd prefer to not delete the current network until I know the Nest wifi works. I am afraid that after I delete the old network and plug in the nest to the ethernet cable, it wont' work so I prefer not to take that chance.

If I do the new home route, I will still use the same SSID and password. The theory is that there will temporarily be 2 networks w/ the exact same SSID and password. But once I delete the old network and unplug the old Google Wifi then it will be left with just new one.

Do you think this should work?

Thank you again.

olavrb
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Yes, should work. May the force be with you. 🙂

I don't work for Google.

howaboutme
Community Member

The force was with me!!!

It worked. I created a new home. The set up was NOT easy. I had to re-do it a few times, restart either the router or the point a few times to complete it. But it all ended up working and most of my devices re-found the network and connected automatically. A few needed a restart/refresh to connect. I then slowly moved every device over from the original home to the new home.

My next steps will be to delete the network and then the home. Then do a hard reset using the button for the Google Wifi and then rename the new home back to the original home.

I think Google should make it easier. It seems that the device set up is really meant for people new to the pipeline.

Thanks for your help!

olavrb
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Awesome!

You don't have to use the physical reset button, you can factory reset and delete the whole Gooogle Wifi network by going to Wi-Fi -> Network settings -> Factory reset entire network.

You're welcome. 🙂

I don't work for Google.

howaboutme
Community Member

Yes, I know I could but I'm afraid things may happen when I plug in the old router since it has the same SSID. I was hoping to do the hard reset and then deleting the home. I know there is no setting for "deleting network" and the option for getting rid of the old "home" is "leave" instead of "delete". I'm not sure what all this means just yet so I am still a bit unsure what will happen. Thanks.