cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My google nest wifi is slow

lifeupj
Community Member

Subject says it all. When I bought my nest about a year ago, everything was amazing and euphoric; Fast, quick, and no hiccups. But he past few months, my Nest has been slow. I have been disconnected from video games and my discord voice chats time and time again. I have also been having buffering issues whenever I try to watch live streams on twitch. pls help.

50 REPLIES 50

Wee
Community Member

I have a similar issue. 

I have three routers and one point. The Point seems to always be the issue. If I remove it from the system completely the system runs better, then add the Point back in and a few weeks later everything goes to sh*t and bugs and glitches galore. 

yebo29
Community Member

And thanks for checking in

yebo29
Community Member

It happened again last night with just the router (no mesh). I was getting anywhere from 0.02mbps to 3mbps download and 10-11mbps upload using the m-lab speed tests. Ookla speed tests were at the more expected levels, but still slower than what they should be. Ookla usually measures around 340mbps down and 14mbps up, and when things are normal m-lab reports around 230mbps down and 12-13mbps up. 
I rebooted the router via the google home app and speeds were restored. 

This is so unfortunate! I really do like the hardware and I want it to perform just as good as the old google wifi system. It looks good on my shelf and it’s simple yet has all the features I need. But these performance issues affect not just personal work, but my actual day job since I work from home so it’s a hard pill to swallow. I hate the fact that I have to start looking elsewhere. 

yebo29
Community Member

I’ve been reading some more posts in this forum regarding the same issues. I had to reboot my router again this morning. Speeds were pretty much nonexistent. 
This sounds like a slow memory leak or maybe a garbage collection error? It’s the only explanation I can think of for it taking some time to manifest itself. 
Is there an API endpoint I can hit to:

1. Gather diagnostic data

2. Reboot the system

If I can programmatically reboot the system every night it would be a good stop gap while the issue is sorted out. Otherwise I’m going to have to put it on a power switch that kills the power every night for me to reboot it. Janky 

PLSChows
Community Member

I too am having major issues. I've reset to factory multiple times, I'm so tired of rebooting my router sometimes multiple times an hour. The issue appears to be on the 5ghz side or at least that's what it appears to be. I'm hoping there's a fix for this really soon as I can't live like this. I don't want to replace it. I just want it to work like it did when I got it. 

yebo29
Community Member

Interesting observation about the 5Ghz side of things. I never thought about testing that.

I replaced both Ethernet cables to and from the modem and router and things have improved marginally. I’ve had to reboot only twice after my last post. 
However, there have been two nights where around 3AM all my devices lose connectivity (I know because I wake up to several notifications from my smart devices) and twice so far in the middle of the day wifi completely drops for about 30 seconds to a minute. The last time it happened I had to recycle the radio on my MacBook. The firmware version hasn’t changed. I’m still only running on the router (no mesh). It sits on my desk right next to my laptop, and it’s in the central part of the house. When everything’s working, I get signal where I need it. Speeds right after a reboot are speedy, but after about 24 hours or so they’re back to about 14-30mbps (my normal speed is about 340mbps) 

yebo29
Community Member

I’m sorry to hear that you’re having so many issues though 😞 

yebo29
Community Member

I’ve got a new observation/fix to share. I saw it in a YouTube video. I was once again experiencing poor performance. The video showed that running an internet speed test from within the google home app fixes the issue. I just did it and it seems to have done the trick. I’m not sure for how long but it’s better than having to reboot.  Hope this helps relieve some of the frustration! 

Ex_G_Fanboy
Community Member

Trying... trying...TRYING to be a Google Fanboy, but my god... so unreliable. We got a Nest Display to just keep an eye on security cams and basic stuff... It can't do it. It will literally stutter when talking to me, 50% of the time it won't show the security cam (Wyze) live feed, even tho my phone app works just fine. I've tried factory resetting a few times, same thing. It's also funny how it shows you an option to 'reset' when opening up the settings, but there is absolutely NO RESET option in settings... got to yank the power cord out instead... How amazing you are Google.

All I want is a simple smart home ecosystem. Google is supposed to be that, but they've gone from bad to worse to 'ok, how much can I sell this on Ebay?' 

I caved and got an ASUS RT-AX86U. Excellent reviews, reasonable price, Wifi 6. Super stoked to install it. Funny thing is I was about to plaster the nest wifi with poop emoji stickers and possibly paint it brown and 3d print a dunce hat for it. I may still do it as a comedy piece while it sits unplugged in a corner of my office. Oh the stories I’ll be able to tell my children. 

yebo29
Community Member

Oh BTW Google if you’re listening (hahahaha) maybe, just maybe, give users the power to:

1. Separate 2.4 and 5Ghz channels into separate SSIDs and disable band steering. It may solve these issues.. something tells me your implementation of band steering is the culprit. 
2. Give users more advanced settings if they choose, such as disabling the DHCP server.

It’s been a wild ride. Not the good kind. Sad, really. Such a capable piece of hardware hindered by software. But I guess one of the router’s selling points is simplicity.