cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Nest WiFi Pro wired connection is about 10% of what it was on Nest WiFi

junton
Community Member

So, my WiFi Pro arrived today and I was really excited to get it setup. I set everything up using the Google Home app and downloaded the updates. I have a fiber gigabit connection from my provider and their most recent modem. My wired connections are pegged to about 90Mbps. My Nest WiFi (non Pro) was getting 900+Mbps wired.

My troubleshooting has been the following:

• Restart the Nest WiFi Pro network
  • Restart the modem
  • Restart all switches
  • Reboot the hard wired computers

My Nest WiFi Pro is in DHCP WAN mode and connected directly to the 10Gbps ethernet port on my modem. I am using a mix of CAT 5 and CAT 6 cabling and my switches are all gigabit or higher.

Plugging the old Nest WiFi (non Pro) back in yields 900+Mbps on wired connections.

I think something is wrong

744 REPLIES 744

deanhtid99
Community Member

Latest from Google support doesn’t give me much hope. 

We got a word from our team, Dean. It's a confirmed known issue causing slow speed on Nest Wifi Pro. Our team's still investigating but we can't provide a time frame for a fix. In the meantime, we suggest sending a feedback report for a diagnostic test. You can follow this guide and let us know once you're done: https://goo.gle/2NvQG6R

While we can’t provide a timeline for a possible fix, we’ll let you decide about returning your device within the return period.

maybe best to pack them up friends 

Mike30
Community Member

DHL are picking mine up this afternoon. Not gonna wait on a potential fix. I'll be ordering some TP-Link Xe75 units instead

krroller
Community Member

Does anyone know if product management is addressing this issue?

Here are the names I have seen in various articles for Nest Wifi Pro.

Rishi Chandra
VP, Product & General Manager, Google Nest

Sahana Mysore
Product Manager, Google Nest Wifi

Sanjay Noronha
Product Manager, Google Nest
Senior Product Manager for Wireless and Networking in the Google Wifi team.

njgreb
Community Member

Just adding another one to the list (so Google knows how wide spread this issue is).  I have 250/250 fiber that uses PPPoE.  Best I can get is 50/50 from both wired and wireless devices.  Switched back to my Nest Wifi and things work as they should.

Maybe it is time to finally just buy some Ubiquiti hardware for home.

krroller
Community Member

It would be greatly appreciated that this is not marked answered until there is a product fix.  Setting this to answered implies the issue is resolved which is a false status.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Mesh feature not working for me. Can connect the main point and get acceptable performance but adding mesh points fail. Spent several hours on the phone with an excellent service minded rep on Google support but this is over his paycheck and he can’t magically fix something that’s broken. I even bought an android phone to see if the connection errors are iOS related but to no help. I’ll give google a few days to fix this or I’ll return it and probably never buy a Google product again. 

smwScott
Community Member

Pacific NW here with Centurylink Fiber using PPPOE. With Nest Wifi was getting 900+ Mbps wired and ~500Mpbs wifi. Nest Pro now hovers around ~50Mbps on both and the Pro itself registers ~200Mpbs down and ~450Mbps up on its speed test.

Obviously unacceptable, huge downgrade. Disappointed to not see a lot of clarity on the issue and a time frame for resolution. Probably will have to return.

RyanA9
Community Member

I use CenturyLink Fiber with PPPoE in Arizona, and I am having the exact same issue, with the exact same speeds.  I had Nest WiFi previously with no speed issues.

I purchased the 3-pack for increased WiFi range and connectivity, and it has worked very well in that regard, but the speed issues is a huge let down.

Oli3
Community Member

We need an official announcement and fast on Google extending the RMA on this device.

A lot of people have paid a lot of money for a product that is seriously broken and underperforming even compared to the previous generation.

Someone needs to wake up and put an announcement out otherwise there is going to be a wave of people sending these potatoes back in the next few days.

deanhtid99
Community Member

Yep 100% agree with this

faz1964
Community Member

Yes definitely. Had a bad experience with two Nest Cameras and gave them a last chance which looks to be a bad idea. Will be going back if no solution is forthcoming.

Very disappointed with Google on this

Hunsca
Community Member

Posting this in as many places as I can to hopefully spread some valuable insights. I did some testing on the Nest Wi-Fi Pro 3pk and my iPhone 13 Pro with Wi-Fi 6 (ax) and a pixel 4a that only has wifi 5 (ac). With both devices side by side in another room (away from the router or mesh unit) the Wi-Fi ac only device gets like 200 Mbps and the iPhone with Wi-Fi ax gets like 1-10 Mbps. If the iPhone is in line of sight with the router it gets my max download speed of 370 Mbps. Something definitely up on Wi-Fi 6 devices. Also of note, if I get my iPhone to switch to 2.4GHz the speeds are way better (like 100Mbps. But without line of sight on 5GHz the phone gets maybe 1-2 Mbps. And just for context I can be 3 feet away from the router with Great Signal but because there is a wall I will get around 1Mbps sometimes under. Also, unplugging all of my mesh units leaving just the one as a router doesn’t fix anything, the problem still persists. It’s so strange and very frustrating!

neiltwist
Community Member

Posting in the hope that a timely fix comes before I have to return. There is clearly something wrong with the interaction between the Nest Pro and certain ONTs when using PPPoE.

I was hoping to get a better WiFi experience than my Eeros, but it’s hard to tell when the maximum download I get is 30Mbps, but I don’t even get that sometimes, so it’s not even an ok WiFi experience. Disappointed is an understatement.

jonicunha
Community Member

The same happens to me, here in Portugal. Sometimes speed drops to 50Mbps

deanhtid99
Community Member

Another day of silence from Google Support. Be lovely to get an update from an actual engineer….

time is ticking Google before you get tidal wave of returns. Return period is nearly up. 

no offer of extending this window, terrible customer service btw

camnickles
Community Member

The Google Home app is giving speed results that are inaccurate, I’m 99% sure.

When I ran a speed test though Speedtest.net & Speedtest.spectrum.com they both came back much better than the 400mbps I was getting.

I wish that were the case for me. GH says point is limited to 60-80mbps. I only get 60-80mbps when connected to any point other than the main router when doing any kind of download/speed test

sgontzes
Community Member

I will be returning my nest wifi pros this week if this isn't resolved before my return window.

Sean_A
Community Member

Just an update from another chat session with nest;

Nest: Yes, we are still currently working on a fix about this actually. We are waiting for our product experts and engineering team to come up with a permanent fix.

Nest: As of the moment we don't have any definite date and time as to when a fix will be rolled out. Rest assured that we are working closely with our team to address this issue.

Me: So there will be a fix?

Nest: Yes and our team is continuing working for a fix with this issue.

GDog9
Community Member

Of course... what else would they say? I suspect the "fix" is rather more complicated than they thought. Product Experts and Engineering Team working on it... One wonders how such a serious flaw got through the net.

smot13
Community Member

Some days I get 500+ Mbs. Some days I get less than 1. Even after rebooting. No fix available. Returning. 

SebZ
Community Member

Same here, not consistent at all, goes randomly from 800Mbps to 10Mbps.

mustafa_rabbi
Community Member

The issue will be fixed right? and is not a hardware issue? I bought mine from US and travelled overseas with it, so no option to return it. Now I am thinking if I have completely wasted my money on this. 

NerdJolt
Community Member

MadeByGoogle closed my Twitter DM case as they stated it's in hand. I've now moved back to my original wifi6 router. Now deciding if I should send the units back or not? Iv got a week let  on my return window.

MRBTE
Community Member

I'm running into the same issue. I'm on fiber to my house then Coax throughout. With my older Google Nest Wifi devices I'm getting between 800 and 900mb down. I reset the whole network and added my new Google Nest Wifi Pro, my speeds dropped down to 150mb down. I put my old devices back in and went right back up to the 885mb down. Not impressed! I'll give Google done time to fix the issue before sending it back.

Anonymous
Not applicable

LMAO I don't see how y'all are waiting for a fix from Google. There are plenty and way better Wifi6e devices on the market with actual settings you can adjust lol. The Nest Wi-Fi Pro is complete and utter trash and a waste of **bleep**ing money . 

Thanks for your contribution

csoviero
Community Member

Picked up an eero 6e 3 piece.  Updated immediately after install.  Getting 950+ on 6e in the room where the router is located.  About 430+ in the room furthest from the router.  2 story 2000sqft.  Returning the nest.

faz1964
Community Member

Did anyone at Google actually do any product testing before suckering us into buying this pap?

Anonymous
Not applicable

My guess is «no»

MattMcC
Community Member

Also have this issue.

faz1964
Community Member

Any sign of an extension to the return window or are Google going to get mass returns at the end of the week?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I just printed out the return documents for mine, as I got told Google see no fix for this in the near future. 

Hi, who said there is no imminent fix ?

Who said there is?

deanhtid99
Community Member

I’ve asked Google about extending the return window but they’ve gone silent. I’ll feed back if/when I get a response. 

Google have sold us a defective product so my hope is at least extend the return window. I wouldn’t hold my breath tho. 

Me personally I’ve already initiated a return and will likely ship it back in the next couple of days. I’ve held out long enough

I asked Google support yesterday about extending the return window and was instructed there are currently no plans to change the return window and I should  return the product and repurchase it if I so choose when the item was fixed.  When I asked how I would know if it's fixed, they indicated to contact support and ask about if the known issues are fixed.  There is no online reference for known issues.

JtotheK
Community Member

Germany. 100mbit down, 40mbit up.

Wired and wireless capped at 30mbit down and 20mbit up.

Sitting in the same boat, huh? 😅

MattMcC
Community Member

Some more detail on my experience

Issue seems to be occurring when the wired backhaul is used. I've noticed that the wired backhaul will randomly negotiate megabit instead of gigabit. 

If you are having this issue put a dumb switch in between your APs and look at the link lights. You will see it have issues negotiating if it's the same issue. 

If you reboot the APs it seems to negotiate properly but after running for a bit it clicks back to the wrong speed. 

Before I realized this was a known issue I replaced all cables in the house with CAT 8. All the in wall runs are cat6 and we're run recently. 

Removing the WiFi pros and putting my unifi system back in place and gigabit links all return and don't flip back and forth. 

Very frustrating. On another note I also had the same issue someone else reported where these devices can't handle any switch that supports STP but that may be more of a mesh thing than a defect. 

krroller
Community Member

I have noticed this same issue.