cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Nest WiFi Pro wired connection is about 10% of what it was on Nest WiFi

junton
Community Member

So, my WiFi Pro arrived today and I was really excited to get it setup. I set everything up using the Google Home app and downloaded the updates. I have a fiber gigabit connection from my provider and their most recent modem. My wired connections are pegged to about 90Mbps. My Nest WiFi (non Pro) was getting 900+Mbps wired.

My troubleshooting has been the following:

• Restart the Nest WiFi Pro network
  • Restart the modem
  • Restart all switches
  • Reboot the hard wired computers

My Nest WiFi Pro is in DHCP WAN mode and connected directly to the 10Gbps ethernet port on my modem. I am using a mix of CAT 5 and CAT 6 cabling and my switches are all gigabit or higher.

Plugging the old Nest WiFi (non Pro) back in yields 900+Mbps on wired connections.

I think something is wrong

744 REPLIES 744

160MHz channel seems to have issues with some devices that I have that are compatible with that channel. Like the app says, it says devices that don't support 160mhz may have slower speeds. But mine say they support it. Why is 160mhz slow in 6e compatible devices? 

MattVon
Community Member

My version is: 1.63.324946

DmitryP
Community Member

Similarly, has anyone in Canada been lucky to receive the firmware update for their new and shiny Google easter eggs that are [still] full of surprises?

I am in Montreal and I got the update yesterday. It "seems" to solve some of the issue with PPPoE. However, the wifi performance is lot to desire. I had single ASUS router before for my whole house, now I have 3 Nest Pro, but the PC my wife has about 2-3m from the point is having worse video call quality than before the single ASUS. 

Google skipped wifi6 and somehow messed up this WiFi 6e solution. They had plenty of time to get it right. The 6GHz (160MHz) channel has poor range. Very poor. I see this in my Intel Killer Performance app on my system. 6GHz is so weak that the software chooses 2.4ghz or 5ghz instead always. Unless if I specify manually 6ghz. I tried turning off the 160MHz and it helps a bit but not much. Still poor speeds compared to regular nest wifi.

Are the antennas in the mesh system bad or what? Cheaply designed? 

NerdJolt
Community Member

So iv got the firmware upgrade that fixed the initial connection issue and ran the 3-points using the wireless backhaul connection. Overall I'm not happy with the speeds provided compared to my Wifi6 router. I get better speed from the wifi6 router than having a satellite in that location. also don't have the option for 160mhz. Does anyone know what connection the wireless backhaul shares, 2.4, 5 or 6Ghz?

Backhand uses 6

You have 3 of them running backhand...  So are you saying the firmware now allows you to have 3 of them cause it doesn't allow 3 of them to be back hall downstairs has been locked

mustafa_rabbi
Community Member

The update is still not available for my device yet, and while i am waiting for the update, the network speed is abysmal. Don't know what to do 😑

SMJ
Community Member

I have the update but while speed on some devices has improved, problems still remain.  I have 2 Wifi6e devices, my phone and a new pc.  The Pixel phone shows the connection to be 6.0 GHz but the pc shows a wireless 5.0 GHZ with speed in the 300-400 mbps range, much lower than my older pcs.  I have Xfinity 1,200 mbps plan and am currently getting 1,400. 

ziggy86
Community Member

If people are not happy with the speeds after the updates which router are you looking at to replace this on?

possibly Amplifi Alien WiFi 6, even though not 6e. Or Eero 6e Pro which is lot more expensive but has impressive speeds.

I have the alien it was great but it wasn't mesh. And you are correct it is not 6E that does not have matter or thread. It's fast it does VPN I also have a netgear which is awesome because it has 2.5 gig And this Wi-Fi is 60 but it's not mesh

SebZ
Community Member

I'm looking at Asus XT12 and TP Link XE75. I'll wait until Black Friday to see what's on offer.

amp3r
Community Member

I’m sending mine back. Even with the update it’s just not good, No idea what I could get at the same price point though! I just wanted faster WiFi!

NerdJolt
Community Member

Yeah, I'm following the same as you. Going to send mine back tomorrow as I have the RMA label printed. The performance is just not good enough.

My return period apparently ended. Not getting option to return. Now what can do? 

Return as faulty (which it is). Contact Google support.

Contact your country's local consumer watchdog.  Most countries have protections for consumers in place, in case of faulty devices or undelivered services.  It doesn't matter the return period ended: the device does not work as advertised, which typically violates consumer laws.

Try disabling the Google Nest Analytics in the settings.  Maybe the other problem reporting setting in the privacy settings too. It worked for me. 

Aria
Community Member

I still don't have the update.  I've tried everything including factory resetting and setting up from scratch!!  Why on earth can't we manually load the new firmware?  Close to getting a refund and switching to TP-Link Deco XE200

I'm in the UK for reference.

WarpedTrekker
Community Member

Well I've confirmed that enabling the 160MHz option slows down all my 6e capable devices. I'm not sure why. New performance laptop has Killer Intel WiFi 6e AX211 160MHz. My Samsung S21 Ultra is 160MHz capable. Others as well. All slow when enabling 160MHz. If I disable 160MHz speeds than are much better. But I didn't buy this solution to have to disable 160MHz. Google Support needs to look into why 160MHz is not performing properly across this mesh solution.

actually i talked too soon. Speeds down again. None of the settings seem to fix the speed issues. Either disabled or enabled. The speed at each of the points is dismal and they are all located just one room away from each other in a small house.

Buffpants
Community Member

Does anyone know what the new update software version is? I have 1.63.324946 but don't know if it is the new or old version - speeds still awful. I have 1GB BT fibre - nest wifi gave me around 850 MB downlaod, new nest pro stuck to 150 MB.

American2theBon
Community Member

I'm also just now realizing that my Philips Hue hub is not acting right ever since being used with the new Nest Wifi Pro. Lights still work with the switches, but trying to connect to the hub via the app throws up errors. Anyone else seeing this?

El-pensador
Community Member

I noticed last night around 5p that my 1st and 2nd gen Google Nest Mesh Wi-Fi was only getting 1-2 Mbps via speed test to the internet.  The device itself was reporting much higher speeds, but all of the endpoints inside the NAT were 1-2Mbps slow.  To troubleshoot, I connected directly to the ISP router/modem and the speed was fine.  I tried everything with the Google Home settings.  By trial and error, I disabled Nest Analytics and full speed returned.  Re-enabling the analytics slowed it back down again.  I cannot use the family Wi-Fi settings without it, but luckily it is useless anyway since children apparently can MAC spoof with almost no effort.  Apparently, the concept of a whitelist is beyond these devices.  You're better off using the Guest network for the kids and setting up a scheduled IFTTT solution to disable/enable it as needed. 

doesn't this also remove the ability to set static IP addresses? How do you go about setting specific IP addresses for devices without this enabled? I did disable the crash reporting in Privacy Settings and somehow got a faster speedtest than I had in the past. Very interesting...

Apparently, it does remove the ability to set dhcp reservations.  That's a bummer. 

I'm probably going to fire up a Linux VM to serve the DHCP & reservations in this case.  It should not need to give usage data to the cloud to work. 

Aria
Community Member

I just tried turning that off, but it's had no effect on the poor performance.

rburleyjr
Community Member

Exactly the same here; no change other than I could no longer see my equipment. Family and Guest WiFi went down

Nice find. I disabled analytics and I am up to 450MB/s, up from ~50MB/s. I'll keep it like this until a proper fix is released. Thank you.

Aria
Community Member

Strange that this works for some and not others.  Are you connecting on a PPPoE connection too?

I have a Master in computer science, and a PhD in engineering.  I'll tell you one thing about this:

@Aria wrote:

Strange that this works for some and not others.

This is a red flag.  In fact, flags don't come much more red than this.  This hints at the fact that the "solution" they implemented must've been very ad hoc.  Similarly, it's hints that the actual problem might be very fundamental, and not easy, or even impossible to truly solve.  I won't be surprised if, from those that report the problem seems to be solved on their end now, we'll soon hear reports that it slowed down again, or changes behaviour variously over time.  There's some messy patching of a bigger problem going on here, that's for sure.

ziggy86
Community Member

Where do I go to disable this?

Aria
Community Member

Home App > Wi-Fi > Gear Icon in top right > Privacy Settings > Turn off both cloud service and sending device usage.

WarpedTrekker
Community Member

Google Analytics? Is everyone talking about the option in Privacy Settings for Nest WiFi Cloud Services?

If you turn that off, you lose the ability to Port Forward. I have ports forwarded to my gaming consoles to open NAT. But I tried turning the cloud services off, and did more speed tests, and had no improvement.

koukigr
Community Member

My WiFi Pro has been updated to the latest firmware but the issue of slow speeds is still there.  No improvemebnt whatsoever.

Lee1982
Community Member

My Nest Wifi Pro in The UK since the firmware upgrade of 1.63.324946 has now fixed My internet speed issue, I'm getting 300mbps on WiFi in which I pay for sometimes topping 310mbps

mustafa_rabbi
Community Member

I am also getting proper speed after the firmware update. The problem seems to be resolved.