cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Nest mesh wifi cable supported?

Fredrickbrewer
Community Member

Does nest mesh system wifi router not support cat5e and cat6 cables? 

I've purchased several cords from best buy and Amazon and I cannot get the router to get WiFi with these cords. I have also used an older modem cable I had which does work fine. 

I am trying to run a 25 foot cable across a room to the entertainment console in my office but none of the 'newer' cables seem to resolve internet connectivity. But as mentioned above several recently purchased cables will not seem to work and the router just flashes yellow for hours. Plus back in the OEM or older modem cables (cat5) and it nearly immediately has connectivity. I'm at a loss here. 
7 REPLIES 7

olavrb
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

If you are trying to add one more Nest Wifi device to your network, it too must be set up using the Google Home app.

It should work, but depends on how you've connected it all.

What Nest Wifi devices do you have? How are you trying to connect it?

I don't work for Google.

Appreciate the response... I am not adding any new equipment I am simply trying to replace the OEM cable with a newer longer cable. Literally the cable from the modem line out to the nest wifi mesh router. All I'm trying to do is move the router 20 feet. When I plug in a cat5e or cat6 cable it can't seem t connect to the internet. When I reconnect the OEM cable (back in the original location) it immediately reconnects and wifi signal works. 

olavrb
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Then I'm lead to believe that you are connecting it up wrong/ differently when using the longer cable. If the cables aren't damaged and within specifications of their given category, there is no reason it shouldn't work with a longer cable.

If you replace the short cable with a long cable without moving the point/ doing anything else, does it not work either?

I don't work for Google.

At this point I wish it was something like me being that dumb and putting it into the wrong port. Lmao. This is extremely baffling.

A Short OEM cord or older standard works.  If I run the same cat5e/cat6 cord from the out port of the modem or directly from the jack (wall line) to out to the laptop Ethernet port both work. It literally just will not resolve with a cat5e/cat6 from the wall line to the router. 

Ive even gone through two Google nest support calls at this point, factory reset, and sequentially rebooting the entire thing several times. They seem to be as miffed as I am. Haha 

olavrb
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Could it be patch vs crossover cable?

https://community.fs.com/blog/patch-cable-vs-crossover-cable.html

I don't work for Google.

Interesting - I hadnt a clue there was a difference exactly here (i know the colors could change positions, but didnt realize the difference in cable type). The cable colors do appear to be in the same order on all the cables however. I am not sure what the OEM cable is, but the Amazon Basics Cat5e cable is twisted pair. 

Random, I placed a 'dumb' switch between the jack line and the router input (cat5e cable from switch to router) and the cord works "flawlessly". After 2 hours of troubleshooting with Google support and transferred to a higher support they've decided to replace the device as no one has a clue why it wont resolve connectivity. 

Here's to hoping the new one doesnt have the same issues. 🙂 

olavrb
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Interesting, switches should handle patch vs. crossover flawlessly, automagically, if I remember correctly. Maybe the ports on Nest Wifi router / Google Wifi doesn't?

You could get a cheap ethernet cable continuity tester, that would help you to see what the OEM cable does.

https://www.amazon.com/Optimal-Shop-Network-Tester-Ethernet/dp/B072LJYHKP

A cheap but helpful tool everyone should have in their tool belt IMO. 🙂

I don't work for Google.