cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Nest wifi randomly going offline

Sydtriman
Community Member

For the past week my Google nest Wi-Fi go randomly off-line. There have been absolutely no other changes in my network or environment that could cause this. I’ve had no issues prior to this. 

I can see a couple of posts in the forum of a similar vein, has anybody been able to solve this issue? Is it a firmware problem?

I’ve done a full factory reset which hasn’t helped, and in fact seems to have made it worse. 

Setup: Router (firmware 13729.57.27) and 2 points (firmware 1.54.267572)

any ideas?

1,464 REPLIES 1,464

Hey. Welcome to the club. I was one of the people that switched to orbi. Look at Asus too. 

ASUS is good as well. TP-Link is making some great low cost mesh WiFi 6 systems as well. The TP-Link was my second choice. Love my Orbi. No way I am going back to Google WiFi. Even my Google Mini's respond better once I moved to Orbi. They reply noticeably faster than they did on Google WiFi even when it was working 100% normal. 

I would, it's been over a year dealing with this issue across two separate Best WiFi mesh networks and Google is still dragging knuckles and telling me to factory reset the network whenever it happens, and it happens weekly if not daily. So yes, I would gladly sign in a class action lawsuit to get this matter dealt with once and for all. 

justJackjon
Community Member

I'm also, sadly suffering from the same issue posted here. I have 3 nest wifi routers and 2 nest wifi points. The entire system is absolutely flawed. I'm absolutely appalled we don't have a fix for this when it was first reported September-ish last year. I think a recall is in order, these products simply do not work.

bknyjp
Community Member

Not to be that guy but...Im returning my nest wifi! 😁 Bought the netgear orbi. Excited! 

Simonoid
Community Member

I have nest wifi with one point. I've been having random wifi disconnects since December but they seemed resolved with rebooting the router.

It's been happening now often and I've given up on rebooting. I've noticed it resolves itself in 5-20 minutes.

Australian consumer law is quite clear regarding faults like this. I do hope that Google resolves this. But if a resolution is not found then I'll need to go through the fun of a claim... 

US law is not very helpful in this case outside of the manufacture warranty period. My only options were to replace the units at my cost since they were all more than a year old. 

MDL333
Community Member

I have had Google Nest Wifi with router and two points for over a year now. It has worked mostly fine up until what I believe was late 2021. I experience a variety of problems including the entire network dropping to one or both of the points dropping offline or **bleep**ting off.  Sometimes the problem will go away by itself, bit other times I need to reboot the router and/or points. With continued issues, I decided to do a little searching and found this. Google, I am deeply invested in your products and am becoming increasingly frustrated. You are a massive company with almost unlimited resources. I spent a lot of money on your products and expect them to work. Fix them before I decide to jump ship!

Whocarestop
Community Member

google is becoming microsoft..  They create the best and then **bleep** it up.

MSITHero
Community Member

The thing Google needs to understand is they are poisoning the well of trust with their users on this. I am heavily invested in Google brand hardware in my house. Every room has at minimum one of the Home Minis. A lot of the main areas of the house have a Nest Speaker as well as Nest Hubs. I was using Google Wifi since it was first released way before Nest came along. Google will be upgrading the Nest Wifi very soon to get current with WiFi 6. But as of now I won't buy it. I already spent the money on a Netgear Orbi system. After this I can't trust Google to deliver a stable product to me  on what is the most critical utility service outside of Electricity, Gas and Water. Everything is dependent upon our home Internet connections. And now Google has been shown we can't trust it with our network. And it makes me ask, what else is Google not the best at. Now I am looking more into Samsung ecosystem. Looking into Alexa speakers and Displays. You screwed the pooch on this one Google. Big time. it will take YEARS to recover for this. 

JWick
Community Member

Spot on. Same here. Google has really royally messed up this year. First with skipping updates for over 2 months on their flagship Pixel 6 line. The Google clock is also horrible and the timers delete themselves daily for months.. Then, after the Sonos lawsuit they made the most half a$$ed work around I've ever seen.. Now to join a Nest device to your Google Home, the Device Utility app is needed at it has 1 star for good reason. It fails miserably often. People can't even add their smart products to their homes!?!? Now this Google/ Nest WiFi issue. Your trust will be hard bought again for years Google

**bleep** GOOGLE . THEY ARE A **bleep** COMPANY NOW!

Longneck
Community Member

my local isp were dealing with people blaming them for the drop outs and got **bleep** tired of it, I had the mesh with 2 nodes/points, we discussed the V lan proposal and to no avail,  it was ruled out. I agreed, they knew about the Google issue and couldn’t come out and say anything negative except to say “ahem” . I clearly got it and went shopping, mesh technology is old hat,  they were overwhelmed with customer s blaming them so they decided to move on it, they started handing out “plume” “pucks” . Do your research, I did, I’m running it now. Watch Amazon reviews on all the orbi’s and other systems being sold, I came close to buying orbi, opted for the free “plume” for now, I’m testing them. My ISP is fiber and I’m running 500 mbps,  IM done Trashing Google, pointless, spending my energy on my 52 devices at this address, have another Google mesh at 2nd home, probably going to ditch that one also.  

Free from where?

my isp

Longneck
Community Member

My local ISP 

Lucky you we would be charged for each device about $15 per month

Its only free if your ISP has found some other way to monetize it. No thanks. I would rather pay for my own hardware than subsidize it and worry about what they are doing with my data. There is no such thing as a free lunch....

there is here buddy, costs me ZERO! 

Delfairen
Community Member

Sorry I do not see a way to search a thread but has anyone tried turning off the IP6. I started to get this problem recently (about a month ago) and it was a couple of weeks until it happened again and now it is multiple times a day. The entire system is less than 2 months old. Seems that with IP6 turned off my phone is a lot faster to load webpages. Speedtest from the phone has gained 45MBPS on the download and I have dropped 2-3ms on the ping. I am going to try without IPv6 on for a while and see if there is any improvement in stability as there is still zero reason to use IPv6 yet as Comcast does not support it and although I have a lot of devices I am not maxing out any network where I would need IPv6.

I have had IPv6 disabled for several months now and unfortunately it hasn't made a difference.

Well dang it. at least it has made the Wi-Fi devices faster for now. I wish I had found this thread inside the 15days that BestBuy seems to think it an acceptable return window.

IPv6 can be a problem if your ISP's IPv6 network isn't stable. Xfinity does support IPv6, but I don't know how stable it is. Nest WiFi actually periodically tests the IPv6 network and turns it off temporarily if connection issues are detected and then tests it again later and if the connection is good, it turns it back on. This can cause delays on devices if they attempt an IPv6 connection first and then have to fail over to IPv4. 

If you get better speeds on IPv4 that's indicative of a poor IPv6 network on the part of your ISP, and you are better off leaving it turned off. IPv6 should be faster, especially latency because there's no NATing required and there are generally fewer hops on an IPv6 connection compared to an IPv4 connection. I have Webpass as my ISP. They are part of Google Fiber and in general their IPv6 network is outstanding. I leave it on, because it's truly faster if the other end supports IPv6. 

Just to repeat, while I occasionally see one of the points go offline, it doesn't actually take down my network as a whole. Maybe having Google as my ISP helps. 

Ohh that is great to know and yeah I have Xfinity and do not have any other choice so yes I will leave IPv6 off. 

So far no drops which is way better than the day before when we lost the wifi and then the router 3 times.

Disabling ipv6 will not do anything but harm network performance if your isp supports ipv6. If your isp does not support ipv6 then it is not used anyways. With as wide spread as this is, it is not a client issue. This is something that Google broke on the back end or the firmware of the devices. Its nothing we as users are going to be able to change to fix.

Klminor52
Community Member

Whatever the root cause, it also affected my Lenovo Smart Clock as well as all my mesh points, ass previously reported. The clock was several days behind and required a hard power cycle to resolve.

Seeing as you are the only person reporting this here, I doubt they are connected. 

Whocarestop
Community Member

Just spent a half hour with the **bleep** from google.  They gave me the same song and dance that magically after 2 years of no issues it is because i need to use bridge mode on my isp router.  LOLZ>    **bleep**ERS NEED TO BE SUED!

So I don't have my ISP modem in bridge mode but i have disabled DNS server on it.  The ISP modem plugs directly into the main Google Wifi point. The Google WiFi set-up out of the box, shows the 'Device Mode' as follows;

• Main Google WiFi - NAT (Standard) mode
  • Second Nest WiFi Router- Bridge mode
  • Third Google Wifi Router - Bridge mode

The Google Home app states "Device mode has been automatically set" and there is no way to change this.

So i don't get locked out of the network, how does one go about changing the devices mode? Do i change the ISP modem first and then Google Home will present me an option to change the Google device mode?

MSITHero
Community Member

Bridge mode is set at the ISP router/modem/gateway device. 

Yeah, this is more of an issue with Double NAT if you run like this. Bridge mode will only work if you are using a single WiFi point. In a mesh setup the primary point cannot run in bridge mode. 

https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/6240987?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid

Longneck
Community Member

change your entire system, ie; dump Google and go shopping

Bridge mode is not required, but does help prevent issues with double natting. They are just trying ot come up with anything to blame it on. 

bknyjp
Community Member

It is with great sadness that I am resigning from my position with google nest wifi. I have received an offer from netgear orbi that provides stability. Thank you for what you have taught me. 

Longneck
Community Member

good for you!!!’

hackztor
Community Member

I have had this issue for a while now too. I wish in the mean time, Google would just add a scheduled reboot option so I can reboot them once a week at 3am etc.

Kiboko
Community Member

I have been facing the same issue.

It has been months and a frequency of outages is becoming more often.

We are into February, seeking an update please.

Longneck
Community Member

here’s your update, there will be no update, get a new system, Google will not fix this, 

jparker
Community Member

I have also been experiencing this issue for a while (months). I have a Nest Wifi router and 3 Nest Wifi points. Over the last 48 hours, all three points have gone offline for hours, at slightly different times, with some requiring a power cycle to come back online. My biggest frustration with this issue is the lack of communication from Google about this issue. I've been following this ticket for a while now and haven't heard any information about if this issue has been acknowledged or if it is being worked on.