We have 2 Nest WiFi Routers, and 3 Google WiFi Routers, for a total of 5 points. Every time I run a mesh test, all 5 points say "great connection". When I run a speed test, I get 200+ Mbps (which is our plan). But the devices don't seem to connect well. Even loading a new web page on an iPhone will sometimes freeze up. On a zoom call on a laptop, sitting next to one of the Google WiFi Routers, the computer said "low bandwidth". I took the laptop to next to the primary Nest WiFi Router and it worked then, but still seemed slow. On the app, the devices are listed as "weak", "okay", and one "great", which is a ring camera, separated from the router by two walls, so that is confusing too. Any suggestions on how to improve device connection?
This may sound contra intuitive, but try to remove a Google Wifi point? Each puck added to the network causes more overhead, and more interference. Five units is the max recommended amount of units because of that. More info:
One could also hardwire all units wirh ethernet for better performance. More info:
Thanks for sharing those links, olavrb.
I just wanted to jump in real fast to see if you saw olavrb's reply and to see if you still needed some help on this or if you were able to get it sorted out. If you are still needing some help, just let us know and we'll be happy to continue helping.
I am experiencing something similar. When I use the Google Home App on my iphone, it says I have >500 Down and 14 Up. Then when I switch to my web browser on both my iphone and my laptop, went to the standard speed test on google.com, I'm receiving ~40 Down and 2 Up.
I have two nodes, the first that is plugged into my router about 40yds away through ~5 walls and about half way a second node that is about 20yds away and goes through only a door.
Thanks for posting — let's see what's going on.
@Chestnut, give these steps a try:
If you're using a modem/router combo, set that to bridge mode to avoid double NAT issues.
Make sure that there is minimal to no interference (concrete, bulletproof glass, metal, mirror, etc.) and the points are no more than two rooms apart.
Remove any special characters in your network name and password.
Turn off IPv6.
Change your DNS server into 18.104.22.168 on the primary and 22.214.171.124 on the secondary server. Hit the save/ floppy disk icon on the upper right.
Unplug the power from your Google Wifi devices for 2 minutes.
If the issue persists, try factory resetting your network.
Let us know how it goes.
We haven't heard from you in a while so we'll be locking this thread if there is no update within 24 hours. If you have any new issues, updates or just a discussion topic, feel free to start a new thread in the Community.
Could you leave the thread open another few days? We're trying to follow @olavrb 's advice by wiring them together.
We got the ethernet cables, but then we needed to get an ethernet splitter. We'll be able to wire 3 of the Google Wifi Points back to the original point that is wired to our modem.
Will report back on how well this works
I'll keep this thread open but please be advised that as Community Specialists, we occasionally do a bit of housekeeping to keep the conversations in our community fresh and relevant. This includes locking threads after a period of inactivity.
I'm just checking in to make sure that you've seen our response. Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns as I will be locking this thread in 24 hours.
Awesome — glad to hear that your issue is fixed. It looks like we can consider this one complete, so I will lock the thread shortly unless I can help out with anything else.