cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

google wifi dropping connections

slaupster
Community Member

In August I bought the 3 pack google wifi mesh network, fed up with my ISPs router struggling to keep up. Sadly its been a mixed bag of joy and disappointment and have had to go back to the ISP router.

From day 1 something wasn't right as my son constantly complained of dropped connections playing online games like clash royale. Reconnects immediately but obviously ruins the game (pixel 3a). My daughter plays roblox and her iphone is fine but if she ever uses my pixel 4a exactly the same thing happens, connection drops every few minutes and she is disconnected from the game session. Impossible to play those games with this issue and only affects pixel 3a and 4a. Other iphones are fine.

Otherwise I was happy with it apart from my wife's work needs a software VPN and again, constant random blips that I never noticed (macbook and windows) meant it was impossible to work with.  Movie streaming, other work not on VPN, other games other than roblox or clash royale on pixel phones, no problem at all and could really appreciate the better wifi until the moaning got too loud and I went back to the ISP wifi.

Did:

- factory reset

- definitely not double NATed

- mesh points all "good" connection to the base and moved them around just in case

- google support trotted out usual stuff, ended up using a static IP, reserved IP, google DNS, etc etc. all obviously nothing to do with it. They setup a monitor on my reserved IP and couldn't see anything suggesting only that I contact pixel support since it was only pixel phones apart from my wife's macbook + vpn suffering similar.

- switched off the points leaving only the base on

... still the same problems.

Is this just how it is ? Lots of references to issues on the internet but nothing quite matches. New firmware details are hard to come by - is anything other than the app integration being worked on ? It feels like there is some fundamental issues somewhere and an utter waste of money and time thus far.

1 Recommended Answer

slaupster
Community Member

The MacBook Pro plus VPN is still not happy. I've order a different router as there seems to be no solution to this 😞

View Recommended Answer in original post

8 REPLIES 8

olavrb
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Did you ever contact Pixel support?

I don't know what causes it, but found related issues:

As for firmware release notes. To find the latest, go here (url changes each release, but going through following page works):

Releases older than current:

Edit: Are both Google Wifi and the phones made for the same region/ country? Mixing regions can cause misbehavior like this due to difference in Wi-Fi regulations.

I don't work for Google.

slaupster
Community Member

Thanks for the reply olavrb. I didn't contact pixel support because ultimately I could cope with the kids moaning but obviously my wife's issues with her work MacBook and VPN were harder to ignore! She was tethered to her iPhone for a few weeks while I tinkered with stuff before finally giving up.

olavrb
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Wow, weeks? Patience right there. 🙂

What abot regions/ the last part I wrote?

I run VPN at home office every day without issues. Cisco AnyConnect and Wireguard (AzireVPN). But what _could_ be relevant here is turning off any preferred activity (I always do this, no need for QoS when my connection is fast):

And making sure you have no device stuck as priority device:

I don't work for Google.

slaupster
Community Member

Sorry I missed that bit as replying from Gmail..

Yes all same region (UK) from Google store apart from MacBook obviously which is also UK original.

Initially I had video conferencing as a priority but that was off following first factory reset and reading other people's woes. I don't recall having a device priority, not explicitly set anyway.

I'm going to use Xmas holidays to have a last go at it and will check all these following another factory reset.

Thanks again for replies!

olavrb
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Roger roger.

Just want to add some other best practices I linked in a previous post:

Adding to that list, placement of the point(s) is also important:

And Nest Wifi router (AC2200, 4x4 MU-MIMO) perform better than Google Wifi and Nest Wifi add-on point (AC1200, 2x2 MU-MIMO). Can also be used as mesh points, I use 2x Nest Wifi router in wireless mesh. Specs:

I don't work for Google.

slaupster
Community Member

So... Factory reset, disabled preferred activities, checked no priority device and still the pixels can't play games like clash royale and Roblox. They have the adaptive connectivity feature turned off as well.. no difference.

Not had a proper test of MacBook with VPN running but I'm not hopeful sadly. Will see in the new year but I expect I will very soon have to go back to the ISP WiFi 😞

slaupster
Community Member

The MacBook Pro plus VPN is still not happy. I've order a different router as there seems to be no solution to this 😞

olavrb
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Alright. 😕 What did you end up ordering?

What VPN service/ product are we talking about here? Pro Plus, sound like something related to Microsoft Office. Would be great to know so those interested (me for instance) can do some more digging.

Did the VPN product provide any more information on what failed specifically? Logs? Error messages?

I don't work for Google.