cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

wired LAN versus wifi connection

rsk5
Community Member

This is probably a simple question, but I'm tech-simple-minded, so first post here.  At my wifi nest that is connected to the WAN (i.e. close proximity) I want to connect multiple devices, at a mimimum, TV and audio integrated amp. Can someone please offer advice for the best connection approaches, in speed, reliability, or any other criteria? For example, I'm thinking to simply connect all my devices to a LAN-switch that is wired to the LAN port of the wife nest. Or, is there any reason to connect the TV (the most demanding device) to the LAN port, and leave other devices on wireless wifi? Or am I just amply confused? Thanks!

1 Recommended Answer

MichaelP
Diamond Product Expert
Diamond Product Expert

Hello @rsk5 

I would recommend using Ethernet for as much as possible. An inexpensive (unmanaged) Ethernet switch connected to the LAN port on your Nest WiFi Router unit can provide multiple ports to connect nearby equipment. You can connect a longer cable to one of these ports and run it to more distant areas in your home, and put another unmanaged Ethernet switch on the end to make ports available for something like an office, for example. WiFi is a convenience technology. Ethernet is fast and very reliable. There's no reason to connect only your TV directly to the Nest WiFi Router – use a switch (or switches) and connect everything you can through Ethernet.

View Recommended Answer in original post

1 REPLY 1

MichaelP
Diamond Product Expert
Diamond Product Expert

Hello @rsk5 

I would recommend using Ethernet for as much as possible. An inexpensive (unmanaged) Ethernet switch connected to the LAN port on your Nest WiFi Router unit can provide multiple ports to connect nearby equipment. You can connect a longer cable to one of these ports and run it to more distant areas in your home, and put another unmanaged Ethernet switch on the end to make ports available for something like an office, for example. WiFi is a convenience technology. Ethernet is fast and very reliable. There's no reason to connect only your TV directly to the Nest WiFi Router – use a switch (or switches) and connect everything you can through Ethernet.