cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error following local home sdk sample linking to google assistant BACKEND_FAILURE_URL_ERROR

banman
Community Member

Hi all,

Following this sample https://developers.home.google.com/codelabs/smarthome-local#2 everything seems to be ok and it deploys. But when I try to link to the google assistant, I can see the test smart home washer device in the list, when i select it i get a "link this service to google" web page button, but when i press it and the screen goes back to google home app, i get an error message "Could not reach [test] Smart Home Washer. Please try again." I have tried many times, same error.

I see in my GCP logs the following error message

SYNC: Request ID 3196224617845968606 failed with code: BACKEND_FAILURE_URL_ERROR

But I cannot find any information about this error. Where can I go next with this issue?

So the flow seems to be

1. open google home app and add device

2. search and select [test] Smart Home Washer

3. Press the Link this service to google

4. linking to.... "Could not reach [test] Smart Home Washer. Please try again."

Looks like whats being returned is like

com.google.android.apps.gsa.gal://oauth2redirect?redirect_state=AEUpNz...YueFl_g&state=AEUpN...tO24&service=test-project-24001_dev

Then the error message.

Thanks for any help!

B.

1 Recommended Answer

sipriyadarshi
Solutions Expert
Solutions Expert

Hello @banman ,

• The “BACKEND_FAILURE_URL_ERROR” can be because of Google receiving a HTTP 4xx error code other than 401 from your service.
  • Use the requestId in GCP Logging to check your smart home service logs.
  • The hub and the end device should be in the same network. You can refer to the following documentation to get more information about Local Fulfillment and the list of supported hub devices 
  • Also, can you confirm if you have successfully implemented the Washer codelab (cloud) ? This is because the local codelab builds on the cloud codelab.

View Recommended Answer in original post

2 REPLIES 2

sipriyadarshi
Solutions Expert
Solutions Expert

Hello @banman ,

• The “BACKEND_FAILURE_URL_ERROR” can be because of Google receiving a HTTP 4xx error code other than 401 from your service.
  • Use the requestId in GCP Logging to check your smart home service logs.
  • The hub and the end device should be in the same network. You can refer to the following documentation to get more information about Local Fulfillment and the list of supported hub devices 
  • Also, can you confirm if you have successfully implemented the Washer codelab (cloud) ? This is because the local codelab builds on the cloud codelab.

Thanks. I had checked the logs, but there was no root cause evident. I deleted my action project and set up a new one. I have managed to now implement the washer codelab AND the local codelab successfully. I'm not sure I understand why the first attempt was throwing that error however.