cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with NodeRed and Google

lthomdc
Community Member

Hello my developer friends, I am new to the developer section and I want to establish a connection between Node-RED and my Google Home. I have no idea how to go about it, and I want to communicate directly with Google without using services like Nora or Hardill. I am open to any possible ideas. I need to mention that I am using an automation system, so it's a local installation running in a container (Docker), and I am connected to the internet. Today, the question I have is: can I use a webhook and an HTTP In node in Node-RED to handle requests from Google Home, such as turning on the lights or opening the blinds? Thank you, my friends! See you soon!

1 Recommended Answer

sipriyadarshi
Solutions Expert
Solutions Expert
  • Yes, this is doable. As a starting point you can make use of the washer codelab available publicly. 
  • One caveat here is that you will need to write your own backend implementation. Instead of firebase and cloud implementation and functions you will need to make use of node-red compatible functionalities.

View Recommended Answer in original post

3 REPLIES 3

sipriyadarshi
Solutions Expert
Solutions Expert
  • Yes, this is doable. As a starting point you can make use of the washer codelab available publicly. 
  • One caveat here is that you will need to write your own backend implementation. Instead of firebase and cloud implementation and functions you will need to make use of node-red compatible functionalities.

Hi there,
Thanks for your reply. I'll give it a try and get back to you as soon as possible. Thanks in any case. LT

BruceEmsworth
Community Member

Did you get anywhere with your project?

I would like to do something similar. My project is to take the input from my Nest Doorbell and get NodeRed to generate an MQTT message and I will use that to drive an 8266 to drive a buzzer.

I have been looking at SmartNORA who have a Doorbell node, but it doesn't have an output!

And Hardill who doesn't have a doorbell node.

I am still examining both possibilities ....

Regards

Bruce