cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should completley start over as a Google Smart Home

GlenVirginia
Community Member

Over years I have maintained a Google Smart Home and invested in a lot of Google hardware; I even switched from an iPhone to Pixel in order to optimize the effectiveness of the ecosystem. At one time Google Home was so promising and functioned well. Currently I am finding that the ecosystem completely unraveling and my investment highly questionable. In a desperate effort I am considering completely deleting/renaming my home and rebooting all hardware in an effort to start over. My Wi-Fi 6E home internet network is definitely robust so network coverage and/or the number of devices is not an issue. What would be the downside of "starting over"? Is it worth it and might it help? Should I look to the nuclear option and consider Amazon Echo or Apple Home? Seriously my faith in the competence of Google has seriously wavered; is there some game change that I should wait for or is it worth giving a reinstallation a try. Only discussing Google Smart Home infrastructure; I won't mention my disappointment with my Pixel Pro in terms of hardware quality and functionality.

1 Recommended Answer

sipriyadarshi
Solutions Expert
Solutions Expert

Hello @GlenVirginia ,

Thanks for reaching out to us with your issue. We are very sorry to hear about all the inconveniences you are facing with the Google Smart Home. We, the engineers at Google are constantly working towards evolving our infrastructure  so as to make the experience of working with the Google Smart Home Ecosystem smooth and user friendly. For any issues regarding any particular aspect of the ecosystem you can always feel free to open up a bug/customer issue/feature request on our Public Issue Tracker.  Also, we would recommend keeping an eye on our public documentation as we post about any developments and changes about our ecosystem there. 

View Recommended Answer in original post

6 REPLIES 6

stevland
Community Member

Starting over with Google Home won't help. It's not you. Google has completely abandoned this ecosystem.

The only remedy is a class action lawsuit. But who has time for that?!

Cary1111
Community Member

I'm sorry you're going through this inconvenience. Can you please reach out to our support team. Here's the link https://support.google.com/ 

Cary Cervantes

Torgis
Community Member

I'm in literally the exact same situation. Full Google Nest ecosystem, robust home wifi, 1.2GB ethernet that works fine for everything else. 

But the damned voice controls just don't work for some people. I get "There was a glitch, please try again." or "Something went wrong, please try again" over and over. Resetting the Nest Minis will resolve this temporarily, and then it's right back to the same old errors.

Getting pretty tired of this, please let me know if you delete/recreate the home and if it has any effect on the errors you're seeing.

stevland
Community Member

Guys, I'm telling you I went through all of this months ago.

Look up "sunken cost fallacy". You are here.

Probably not what you want to hear, but I'm actually trying to help by telling you to stop wasting your time. Every hour you spend is an hour of your life that will be wasted on an ecosystem that Google has all but abandoned.

Your choices are Alexa or (if you don't mind a steep learning curve in exchange for unbelievable customization) Home Assistant.

Torgis
Community Member

@stevland, I hate that this is the case, but you're absolutely right. I don't see any signs that any action is being taken at all.

sipriyadarshi
Solutions Expert
Solutions Expert

Hello @GlenVirginia ,

Thanks for reaching out to us with your issue. We are very sorry to hear about all the inconveniences you are facing with the Google Smart Home. We, the engineers at Google are constantly working towards evolving our infrastructure  so as to make the experience of working with the Google Smart Home Ecosystem smooth and user friendly. For any issues regarding any particular aspect of the ecosystem you can always feel free to open up a bug/customer issue/feature request on our Public Issue Tracker.  Also, we would recommend keeping an eye on our public documentation as we post about any developments and changes about our ecosystem there.