cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Animal of the Day is ending!!!

SRS
Community Member

Hi @All

Is the Animal of the Day ending at the end of Nov 23??

It's a fun function we access as a family and don't know why these prerecorded are ending.

Anyone know how we can log we want to keep this feature?? 

Thanks 

134 REPLIES 134

cb12
Community Member

Devastated by the news that this feature is going away, and we’re two adults in our thirties. Animal of the day is one of our favorite ways to engage with our google home and can’t understand what google has to gain by discontinuing it. Please reconsider. 

Veronculous
Community Member

Two adults, 29 and 45, we were so sad when Google said animal of the day was going away... We will be so sad to see it leave. 

wheelerc
Community Member

We will be very sad to see this feature go. Kids love it and it inspires further learning. As other have said, repeating a fixed set of animals over a year would be fine.

Tianavb
Community Member

This is so sad!! Please google, rethink this. This is a huge hit with my children

_zoinks
Community Member

This is unfortunate, me and my family use this all the time.

catmac42
Community Member

My 7 year old daughter is also devastated. We loved asking about it, it was a part if our daily routine. 😭 It may not have been "popular" but it was important to the kids who appreciate this kind of thing. This is why we can't have nice things from Google. We're starting to regret having our lives so entangled with Google services, and are exploring ways to extricate ourselves. We never know when the most useful services will get canned. First it was IFTTT recipes when ingredients, then it was Google lists which will probably break our integrations, and now it's a simple thing like animal if the day. Do better Google! 

JenOoo
Community Member

My partner and I went ahead and left feedback about this. We love hearing the animal of the day every day as a family.

j-wong88
Community Member

Shame! 

HAZA
Community Member

Google, please rethink this. It's such a minimal service that requires little to no maintenance and it's clear there is still a large amount of people that want to keep this feature.

One of the biggest mistakes large tech companies are doing nowadays is removing or modifying things needlessly. You will most certainly annoy and upset a good amount of people for absolutely no reason by removing this.

OliviaToledano
Community Member

I would love to add in my voice in hoping they reconsider. I agree with the above post suggesting a 365 animal rotation or something... Is the licensing of the animal sounds expensive? I'm just curious what would make the upkeep costs high.

EAFC
Community Member

We have been checking in with Google daily for the Animal of the Day with our creature-obsessed almost four year old for as long as he can remember, and he won’t go to bed without having checked it for the day. He had a speech delay, and has been working SO HARD to get our Google home devices to understand his speech. He has felt so proud of himself each day for about a month or two when the little jingle starts playing at his own request. He even has a little jig that he does to the tune with a little foot kick at the end. He was a leatherback sea turtle for Halloween, and he felt like a rockstar when that was the animal of the day yesterday. We usually let the animal of the day dictate further research and craft activities. I honestly want to cry imagining his reaction to its absence later this month. I’ll be following the link  in this thread to share my disappointment. Life is dang hard, Google folks. Please don’t take this joy away! 

Oakbank24
Community Member

Absolutely ridiculous that this going away. Why?

Masha05
Community Member

We check in on the animal of today every morning. Kids love the feature, it is fun way to learn. Please leave it, there is so little kids safe spaces left on Internet. 

JakeNeedABreak
Community Member

Don’t do it Google. Please find a way to keep Animal of the Day in Service. It’s one of the special things about Google Home. 

CareV
Community Member

Me and my partner (both in late twenties) are devastated! One of our favorite features is going away and we are heartbroken 

Mcallahan
Community Member

PLEASE KEEP ANIMAL OF THE DAY. I NEED IT. 

weewooweeewoooo
Community Member

please don't get rid of animal of the day? it was such a great feature and bought so much joy!

BTran
Community Member

Hi I’m Evelyn im 6 years old please keep Animal of the day.

B_Swift
Community Member

So sad that Animal Of The Day ends today, we've been mourning it's departure all month since we first found out... And the very last animal: crickets. 😞

Come on, we don't need anyone to add animals anymore, just keep it going forward. It's like four lines of Python to keep it around in a way everyone will still love! 

BPeter
Community Member

Too bad it's going away, we use this daily. 

Jk03
Community Member

My son can’t go to sleep without hearing about the animal of the day. Please reconsider. 

kappadappa
Community Member

Why would Google remove this feature? It can't possibly be too expensive to implement and build good will with customers.

JVL1985
Community Member

Please don't get rid of this.  I have two daughters that look forward to it every day.

Tk4
Community Member

Very disappointing for the kiddos!

Loudog121
Community Member

Please reconsider. This was a fun thing that really stood Google Nest apart from other services.  

Mepoppop
Community Member

My grandkids love animal of the day. And so do my wife and I. Don’t take it away.  Please. 

test_acct
Community Member

as usual, disappointed in google. how long will it take for features to be taken out one by one before it ends up being a glorified clock?

celadon1111
Community Member

My kids were devastated by the news that this is going away, as this was an integral part of a daily routine.  

Se7enletters
Community Member

This is such a short-sighted move. Animal of the day is one of the ways my daughter learned to use the Google devices we have in our homes. Losing that would be such a shame. This is NOT a wise decision for Google. Shame.

DWray
Community Member

Our kids love this feature. Seems easy to cycle through what already exists for it and keep it running forever, but... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

B_Swift
Community Member

Sooo….tried it this morning and it still works. 🤷‍♂️

Hfamily7
Community Member

We did the same out of habit and were pleasantly surprised. Fingers crossed Google had a change of heart. 

Same here, and we thanked our Google assistant up and down, leaving feedback.

keaton93
Community Member

Please DO NOT do this. My family loves this feature.

HeeyAqualung
Community Member

Animal of the day brings us all so much joy. Please don’t get rid of it! 

Egga22
Community Member

Why google, I literally started crying when I found out bring it back or I switch to apple.

adeleon86
Community Member

This is one of the rare features used daily in my household. Not every feature needs to be a money maker - I have 8 Google homes, and you're giving me reasons to start looking at Amazon. Cmon. 

Hawker
Community Member

Where is the sense in this? Seems petty and something that brings a lot of joy.

Brandt
Community Member

Okay, so today is the 29th and supposedly it was ending on the 27th. Maybe all of our voices made a difference ?!? I just asked while my almost 2 yo and 3.5 yo are out of the house because I didn't want the disappointment again! I would love to tell them - it's not leaving. Today's animal was the Kingfisher (which I'm almost certain we've heard before - maybe there is a rotation). Thank you, Google. Please do let us know if you have or are waiting for a new decision - happy it's there today 🙂

Egga22
Community Member

I really hope so