cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Can’t change the volume anymore by voice control.

BertBri
Community Member

Can’t change the volume anymore by voice control on the Google Home mini device.

The response is:  “sorry, I can't change the volume on this device". 

Please give me some feedback on this issue?

19 REPLIES 19

JillG
Diamond Product Expert
Diamond Product Expert

Hi BertBri,

Try rebooting the Mini and if that doesn't help do a full factory reset. Factory reset Google Nest or Home speakers or displays - Google Nest Help.

The Mini may be mistaking your request to set the volume for another device that is unable to be adjusted. Possible solution may be to ask "Hey Google, change the volume to 5/ Hey Google make louder/" while media is playing.  See this for the recommended verbiage too.

BertBri
Community Member

Hi Jill,

Done a factory reset already. Tried different voice commands, The problem still exists. Please scroll through this forum and find that this problem exists for all Google Home users. The is a major issue in Googles Home firmware.

Please escalate this issue to the highest possible incident level!

JillG
Diamond Product Expert
Diamond Product Expert

Sure thing and let me see what I can find out for you. Can you let me know your region, language settings and firmware version?

Edit: Is the issue for speaker pairs only or all volume control to your device?

TY!

BertBri
Community Member

Both my gen1 and  gen2 Google Home Minis give the same issue. In the stand alone Mini gen1 and also in a remote speaker group managed by the Mini gen2.  In this case not only in paired speakers for sure.

Somyavana
Community Member

The issue appears to be when a speaker group is playing. The individual devices still respond if there is only one device playing. But if our “downstairs” group is playing (one brand new nest and two minis), then none of them will respond to a request to change the volume… they give the same response, “sorry, I can’t change the volume on this device.” Please fix ASAP we just bought a Nest to connect our whole downstairs!

I have the Hub Max and Mini. Also 8 additional google mini speakers. All has been working fine. Whether playing in Downstairs, upstairs, all speakers and individual speakers.  When asking to Eg.. Hey Google speaker volume 40% the response is that Google can not do this on this device... Do I have to reboot every product? All suggestions gratefully welcome. 

@JaxHodson I suspect rebooting or even factory resetting your devices will do little to no good, almost certainly any benefits will not last.

https://www.googlenestcommunity.com/t5/Speakers-and-Displays/Google-Nest-Mini-gen-2-keeps-saying-quo...

Best of luck to us all...

Justjosh
Community Member

I have had the same thing for a few weeks.

If my 'bedroom pair' is playing music, I ask "reduce volume" or "set volume to 3" it replies "can't set volume on this device"; but if I first "Pause music", I can set the volume no problem, then resume music.

I have deleted the devices, factory resets, etc.  Nothing helps.

Oddly,  I've asked it to play music or news and occasionally it says "Can't find 'bedroom pair'" despite it BEING bedroom pair.

Good job for noticing that.  I love how the first reply at the top is from the same admin that posted THIS on another thread and asked that it be pinned.

I think secretly, they are not fixing it.

I really loved the volume rocker override.  When I got her telling me only the device owner could change it.  Then I asked it who I am--got that right.  Then I asked it who was the owner of this device and heard, "I'm pretty sure you are."  So I tried to pull the Media screen in the Home app and then use my volume button.  They did not remove the functionality.  It just goes up or down and then triggers a reversal after the command is given to the app.  So no group controls by slider, nor by volume button, nor by voice.  It looks like drag the individual device volume (can be accomplished in Media faster for multiple successive (playing) devices), Or your tip to just pause the music first and then change it by voice for the device prior to resuming.

Thanks again.

FixSpkrPairVol
Community Member

@JillG  see post by Suzique for heaps of replies on this issue.

https://www.googlenestcommunity.com/t5/Speakers-and-Displays/Google-Nest-Mini-gen-2-keeps-saying-quo...

There are other threads on this forum as well as /googlehome on Reddit. 

Started around 15 Dec

Any assistance and/or escalation with Google would be greatly appreciated by many, many frustrated customers.

Thank you & happy holidays

-- list

JillG
Diamond Product Expert
Diamond Product Expert

I see those other posts and thanks for that link @FixSpkrPairVol .  Been "OOO" for a few days and need a quick catch up. Super helpful.🙂

Checked with the Google Nest team. Known issue surrounding volume control with speaker pairs. "Aware and Investigating" so  I am hoping a fix will be available in an update soon.

In the meantime, they advice to use the Home app for volume control. Not an ideal workaround for sure but that's where it's at currently.

J

markhikes
Community Member

I was experiencing the same issue but last night it started working correctly and now today it has reverted back to not responding to the verbal command to change the volume.

This issue exists only with speaker groups, individual speaker devices still respond.

I use the next workaround for now. I created a routine in the Google Home app in which for all individual speaker devices the volume is adjusted is the same way.

works fine for me now.

jfii
Community Member

If this helps, 

All commands verbal. 

Play music command issued which all speakers default to a group called "speaker group."

When problem began I deleted the google home software and re installed it adding devices back in

after that I removed from the home the jbl-20, a pair of nest mini's and the home max pair

when it happened again i factory reset the jbl-20

problem has changed speakers on different days times right now problem exists on a pair of home max speaker where 5 minutes ago i was unable to change the volume on a jbl-20

if I pause the home max pair i can change the volume but not after a resume

I issued a stop to the home max pair and asked google to play music on the nest mini pair

I could no longer change the volume on the mini pair but now can change the volume on the home max pair

assumption you cannot change volume on the speaker that began playing the music while music is playing on a speaker group (i did not test not using a speaker group)

jfii
Community Member

if it helps

music playing from youtube music

eureka_info on speakers

{"bssid":"50:6a:03:zz:zz:zz","build_version":"275994","cast_build_revision":"1.56.275994","closed_caption":{},"connected":true,"ethernet_connected":false,"has_update":false,"hotspot_bssid":"FA:8F:CA:89:E7:AC","ip_address":"192.168.###.#0","locale":"en-US","location":{"country_code":"US","latitude":255.0,"longitude":255.0},"mac_address":"48:D6:D5:91:","name":"Max1","opt_in":{"crash":true,"opencast":false,"stats":true},"public_key":"zzz","release_track":"preview-joining-stable-channel","setup_state":64,"setup_stats":{"historically_succeeded":true,"num_check_connectivity":124,"num_connect_wifi":0,"num_connected_wifi_not_saved":0,"num_initial_eureka_info":0,"num_obtain_ip":46},"ssdp_udn":"xxx","ssid":"*5 GHz*","time_format":1,"timezone":"America/New_York","tos_accepted":true,"uma_client_id":"xxx","uptime":############24,"version":12,"wpa_configured":true,"wpa_id":0,"wpa_state":10}
{"bssid":"50:6a:03:zz:zz:zz","build_version":"277099","cast_build_revision":"1.54.277099","closed_caption":{},"connected":true,"ethernet_connected":false,"has_update":false,"hotspot_bssid":"FA:8F:CA:79:D7:9A","ip_address":"192.168.###.#9","locale":"en-US","location":{"country_code":"US","latitude":255.0,"longitude":255.0},"mac_address":"F0:EF:86:05:","name":"Grey Mini","opt_in":{"crash":true,"opencast":false,"stats":true},"public_key":"zzz","release_track":"preview-joining-stable-channel","setup_state":64,"setup_stats":{"historically_succeeded":true,"num_check_connectivity":399,"num_connect_wifi":0,"num_connected_wifi_not_saved":0,"num_initial_eureka_info":0,"num_obtain_ip":113},"ssdp_udn":"xxx","ssid":"*5 GHz*","time_format":1,"timezone":"America/New_York","tos_accepted":true,"uma_client_id":"xxx","uptime":############5,"version":12,"wpa_configured":true,"wpa_id":0,"wpa_state":10}

Siduk007
Community Member

I just read  about a lawsuit with Sonos,  I think it has something to do with the recent challenge on volume control .

Oatman2000
Community Member

Here's my take on the issue... pls enjoy my $.02

I am also having the issue which led me to this topic. 
When using Spotify to "Play music on house" where "house" is the name of my homegroup of about (8) Speakers. 

One of those speakers becomes the primary, (pretty random which one.)

If you look at the Spotify broadcast option it tells me Bedroom Speaker is connected. (yet 8 other devices are playing)

Lo and behold I AM ABLE to voice control that speaker, and not the others.

FixSpkrPairVol
Community Member

Andreas1
Community Member

Same problem here. Then I noticed that it was streamng to more devices at the same time. When I truned off al but the Nest, the voice volume control worked normally again.