cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Can't set alarm on Insignia Google Home Alarm Clock

doctorwizz
Community Member

I have several Insignia Google Home's that were sold by BestBuy. Yesterday, Nov. 16 I lost the ability to set alarm on all of them. It worked for years. Now, it keeps repeating, "What's the day and time". Nothing I say can set an alarm now. It still works on the GH mini's.  

Seem like I can't set reminders now either. 

Unplugging does not fix. 

Any ideas on how to fix?

70 REPLIES 70

I haven't had any luck with that route yet

Eugeniu313
Community Member

Hello, today I discovered that also can't play and cast music from Spotify 😞

wfg97079
Community Member

Seems I can set alarms now

doctorwizz
Community Member

It is FIXED! 

For me it will now set alarms, but it then adjusts my requested alarm time to GMT. I guess that’s a slight improvement, but still frustrating. Hopefully that gets worked out soon…

O crap you are right!

Mine now does the same thing.  It will flash the GMT time on the display clearly showing that google translated to GMT.  A work-around is to state the time zone after the time, as in "hey googel, set an alarm for 8 am central time."   It will then flash 8:00 instead of 2:00 as it was doing with just the time alone.  I find this easier than doing the math myself.

CDalbeck
Community Member

This is seeming to work for me, but what a pain…..  thank you

doctorwizz
Community Member

Seems I can't cancel alarms now. I have two set. 

I had to say "Cancel all alarms". 

RHS
Community Member

I had the exact same problem beginning November 16th. Then last night, just for kicks, I tried to set an alarm. I requested an alarm for 7:00 a.m. and the speaker replied okay, your alarm is set for 2:00 a.m. I canceled that alarm and requested an alarm for noon. The speaker said okay, your alarm is set for 7:00 a.m. and sure enough, the alarm went off at 7:00 a.m. The time is displayed correctly on the speaker, but the alarm is off by 5 hours.

wfg97079
Community Member

You now need to mention your time zone.  For me I have to say "set an alarm for 7 am eastern"  or it seems to default to mountain time

KyleB
Community Member

Seems Google has dropped some third-party support without notice: Insignia Home Speaker Help : r/googlehome (reddit.com)

EazySteve
Community Member

Same issue insignia NS-CSPGASP

KyleB
Community Member

I emailed Best Buy's Insignia support. We can compare notes, if they reply...

KyleB
Community Member

So nothing different with Best Buy's Insignia support. They asked me to unplug and reset. This did not work, but randomly my speaker's outdoor temperature reading was no longer zero  and the alarm by voice works again and is no longer offset by 5 hours.

I wonder if enough users ask does Google and/or Best Buy Insignia support reset something. 

KyleB
Community Member

Best Buy's Insignia support ignored my request to review this support thread and instead suggested repeatedly resetting the speaker as their only troubleshooting option. They later concluded that my speaker might require a repair. However, it seems they either do not understand the actual issue with these speaker units or intentionally choose not to acknowledge it. They also said I may need to buy another speaker as this repair could be expensive. Our speakers do not need a repair was my response to them. I also asked them to address this software issue instead.

KyleB
Community Member

I got this final answer from Best Buy's Insignia support once I pushed back and asked them to just let us know if they are done supporting these speakers:

Hi Kyle,

Thank you for the reply.

I really do apologize but the product have reached End of Life and are no longer being supported, there will be no future firmware or driver updates. 

If you have any other inquiry, please let me know and I will reply as soon as possible.

Kind regards,
Renee

I asked if they have a website with this notice so others can know about their decision? Bummer.

Vulcat
Community Member

The problem is is they made some kind of update back in November. Messing everything up. Not sure if it was them or google that did it. But either way somebody mess things up when they were working fine before.

pharpe
Community Member

Google is not going to fix this.  Just look at Reddit, here's why...

google issue.jpg

Jaxenroth
Community Member

If you say “Set alarm for 6am (add your time zone EST) tomorrow it works. That’s my walk around. 

Soldi
Community Member

Today 2024-01-22 I can say 

Set alarm for 5:30 and it sets an alarm for 5:30 tomorrow... So for now everything works again!! Hope it's fixed for everyone!

KyleB
Community Member

Nope. I'm still 5 hours off of I don't also say "Eastern Standard Time" with my alarm request. 

HowardAndroid
Community Member

Surprisingly, 3 of my 4 Insignia speakers are now setting alarm clock with nomral requests such as set my alarm for 5:30 tomorrow without any time zone or weird phrasing.  I ended up having to unplug and replug one of the units for it to return.  I have not tried one of the four, so technically it is probably all of them.

Tried reboot on one so far. It works! Good catch! 😎

Mine too. No longer have to say 'est' after the alarm time I want to use. I did not have to reset mine either.  Also, the local temperature shows again. Not sure if Insignia, Google or both of them fixed the API issues.

doctorwizz
Community Member

Was there a firmware update? Must have been. 

KyleB
Community Member

My firmware listed today by my speaker is still the same three year old firmware from a year after best buy dropped support for these insignia speakers. I'm thinking the api calls back to google were not being handled properly and someone decide to allow a fix or got to it...

samuelebennett
Community Member

Mine seems to be working now, even without a reboot!

wfg97079
Community Member

Working normally here now without a reboot

potash
Community Member

It looks like things have gone from bad to worse.  Starting last night, google doesn't understand what an alarm is at all, even when giving it the time zone or using GMT.   Hey google set an alarm just elicits the response "sorry I don't understand".