cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Google Speaker Groups not working

MsLevis
Community Member

I'm also having similar problems-  Have mix of Google audio cast and google enabled speakers across the house- most of the time casting doesn't work - If I go into the home app the groups are disappearing and re-appearing alot- I'll select a group that worked the day before and only one speaker plays - it still shows all devices playing-  I can try it a few times- go in and out of the google home app and try to force it that way- sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't - all the firmware is up to date and it's just SOOOOO frustrating -  I even went and got a new google home speaker thinking maybe gen1 was causing an issue- nope still same problem-  COME ON GOOGLE!!!  

607 REPLIES 607

Gigigelo
Community Member

I checked and they were connected to the same WiFi 5 ghz

Gumbles
Community Member

Is there a way to make them “forget” one of those networks? Mine currently both have the same password, maybe change one password and not enter it in to the Home app?

kilad
Community Member

Yes in the google Home app in device info you can "forget network"

Gumbles
Community Member

It red connects when I do that, I’ll try changing the passwords. 

gardensage
Community Member

I think this happened after an update this morning, so I'm hoping it will sort itself out over time.

FrankNL
Community Member

Reading all the problems (I have them myself as well) the conclusion is that it does not matter you have Google devices only or not, nor use voice commands or the home app, nor stream from any service like spotify or tunein or whatever. My problems started spontaneously without any change in the netwrk or naming convention and such. Conclusion: the logic behind google's streaming service for multiple devices is instable! The multicast problem als appears sometimes with any device not even in a group. So Google: GET THIS FIXED!

Josh86
Community Member

It's so incredibly disappointing and infuriating.  I've vowed never to purchased any google product until they fix the issue. I have 7 google home speakers that have been rendered useless together as they were intended to be used.  All troubleshooting steps have not helped, plus, new routers, no phones, with spotify or without. It's a software issue with google. Everyone I know is having the same issue ( in different countries too, Canada and US

AsteroidS
Community Member

i have similar issues too… zz

i have a group of 8 speakers, few of them do not play. seems intermittent

Hetal
Community Member

Hi, i have 3 displays and 1 google mini speaker, all in different room locations. I can’t understand how but 2 of those displays disappeared from group speakers - so I got only 1 display and 1 speaker in the group now.

Now I can cast anything directly to each display but can’t get them on the group again cause they are available on speakers list. 
I tried restarting the hub, the network, even deleted the device and installed again with factory reset settings without luck… Can anyone help with a solution? 
Cheers

FrankNL
Community Member

As you can see everybody has similar problems. It has nothong to do with your devices nor your network nor your streami g service or apps. It is caused by the logic in the cloud services at google itself. Yesterday it suddenly worked again (for me, living in the Netherlands)... today the problem is back, without any change here. 

BillieJuniper
Community Member

I have the same issue. I have 4 Google nest minis which sometimes work perfectly together as a speaker group, and sometimes voice command will say it’s playing music on the group but it’s actually playing on only one speaker (yes I’ve checked volume on all speakers), sometimes it might play Spotify on 3 out of the 4 while playing radio on the 4th, and when you tell that speaker, and when you try it again it will say “sorry the music stopped as your Spotify account is being used on another device” and start to play on that individual speaker but not the other 3. This has been an ongoing issue for months now and it’s beginning to really put me off Google products. I already have an Amazon Firestick that I found so much more reliable than my old Google chromecast which sits in a drawer unused because it was so slow and unpredictable; now I’m thinking I should’ve invested my money in Amazon Echo’s instead of Google.

Hi Billie, i'm also thinking to switch to amazon for a while now.. i have a lot invested in Google and i guess i was expecting for them to notice the bugs reported and fix them to not loose clients, but it is starting to get annoying with all the issues lately.

Cheers,

TIDCDAD
Community Member

I have been experiencing problems with speaker groups also.  Google home randomly loses track of the devices in my groups and so not all speakers play music when commanded to.  Sometimes the entire group disappears from my google home app.  It used to be a very stable platform, but lately google home is being pretty flaky.  Did some upgrade happen that has bugs in it.

georgegreaves97
Community Member

Haven’t been able to play on nest mini and nest hub together for months now. Factory reset works for a day or two and breaks again. So frustrating. Doesn’t seem like google will fix this so best thing to do is replace with Alexa and warn friends and family to do the same!

RiverCityGuy
Community Member

I spoke with T-Mobile tech support representative, and she told me the all the Goggle Mini's should be set to the same 2.4 GHz network.  With the T-Mobile gateway setup, the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz SSID are setup with the same name and password. T-Mobile TSR told me the SSID's will need to be changed. Prior to calling, I had hooked-up my old WiFI router to the T-Mobile Gateway, and configured the mini's to use my old WIFI router. Everything is working as it should on my old WIFI router. One day, I will try to change the SSID on the T-Mobile Gateway and reconfigure the Google mini's, but today it works so, I won't fix something that is working.

BlackFeather
Community Member

I have got google home hub and nest display and configured both in a speaker group. Around 6 months before, my home group was working perfect. I am using Smart Home Assistant  as a smart controller for all of my IoTs including google Spaker Group.  Now I am unable to play music from smart home assistant as it cannot detect Google Speaker Group anymore. 

I tried to reconfigure Speaker Group using following

* Reset Google Home Hub

* Reset Google Nest Hub Display

* Remove Google Home App / Clearing Cache & Data

* Remove multiple APs and used 1 AP in Lan

Still Speaker Group is not able to play music / control volume using Google Home App. This is very frustrating now. All of this was working 100% around 6 montha ago but onwards all of above explained issues are occuring and GOOGLE team in unable to get this fixed until now. Shame on you GOOGLE, what you think of your users? They did buy your products having trust on you and you are acting like 3rd class vendor to resolve such a long pending issue.

rmicheletti12
Community Member

It's clear Google is not helping anyone in this thread. Does anyone here know if Alexa is a better platform? Will it actually solve these issues? I am hesitant to switch because Google is smarter than Alexa, but it doesn't matter if Google doesn't work properly.

simonw2008
Community Member

I had exactly this problem and it was down to poor WiFi signal in some areas. I bought a couple of Xiaomi ax1800 routers, set them up as a meshed network and since then it's a worked fine. 

I have Bell Wi-Fi pods in a mesh network. Doesn’t help me with this issue. 

Have you tried 

switch off WiFi and mobile data on phone A
set up a hotspot on phone A
Use another phone B  running Google home and connected via WiFi to phone A
Reset your speakers and connect them in the home app on phone B
If they work it's your WiFi 

Hetal
Community Member

That's not good advice cause this is a problem that comes and goes, there is no pattern. I can have everything working fine for 2 days and for examples today, i had this issue twice. 

I have a mesh network with to link devices and i've reset my network and all Google speakers because of this issue, without success.

I guess that if you wait long enough, you'll find the same problem too, until it gets fixed. 

Moozicmon
Community Member

This will be long because I'm beyond over Google's incompetence in providing effective customer service and reliable products.

Add me to the list of experiencing intermittent issues with no identifiable patterns. Have Google Wifi, Max, Max Hub, 2 hubs, Nvidia shield and a mini gen 2 setup in various speaker groups. All my groups disappeared. Only options to add to to new groups are the two hubs and the mini. Reset, reboot, clear, etc...all the usual steps. Nothing. 

In addition, I have been waiting over a week (this after being on chat over two hours and 14 emails) for a resolution from Google regarding missing Google Store credit from a Pixel 6/Google One promo. Keep getting the all too familiar "it has been escalated" or "we are working on it" with no actual details.

I have been a supporter of Google's efforts since the OG Droid, purchased every smart device they put out and converted many others over to their ecosystem.

This was the last straw.

I'm done. IPhone will be my next phone, Apple TV will replace all my Android TV's and Sonos will be my smart speakers here on out. I'll keep the hub max because it's unrivaled, but selling the rest and Echo Show's will replace all the hubs.

Get your **bleep** together Google.

FrankNL
Community Member

Who has any idea how to put pressure on Google to get this fixed? It is going on for ages!😤

MarceloL
Community Member

I am also having the same problem and it started about a month ago. I have a Google wifi mesh (4 points) and about 14 speakers (nest mini) and 3 JBL smart view screens.. they used to work perfectly, and now I can't get to have them working as a group. I already reset my wifi, all speakers etc.. nothing fixes. I even shut down/reset the whole house in my electrical panel, but it did not fix.

My speakers are constantly appearing in "other cast devices".. offering to link to my home, when it was already linked. They keep flickering in and out of the group. The groups sometimes don't even appear and I noticed some really old non-existent groups show up out of nowhere.. super weird and unstable.

Last week I noticed this is not happening anymore (the group part). They are back again trapped in the group, but it is still failing to work together. I notice it sometimes plays well when I ask it directly to my speaker, but the second I open the home app, everything starts to crack and stops playing. It seems the Home app is causing them to fail.. 

I hope Google fixes this soon 😕

RKELKS
Community Member

Same issue.  I speculate this is all caused from us all having mesh WiFi networks. 

Please fix, Google. 

FrankNL
Community Member

I'm quite confident that mesh is not the problem. As it failed without any network changes while my google speakers were fixed to one station in the network (roaming disabled). 

AsteroidS
Community Member

im using asus (xt8) mesh. i cant get all speakers in a group to play at the same time…

Adi
Community Member

I solved my problem by going into router settings and disabling a couple multicast options there, if you have a dlink router try that. Now all speakers work together in a group or individually as expected. Check your router settings!

rcrack2k
Community Member

But multicast is important to get synchronization done. Also multicast is needed to show the availability of your Google devices across the whole network.

I can not believe, that disabling that option will be a solution.

Adi
Community Member

I would agree with you, but since disabling the feature my devices have all showed up all the time and casting to multiple devices simultaneously has worked every time. Maybe its possible that both the router and google software were trying to accomplish the same thing, and in the process interfering with each other? I can only say what worked for me, as it seems that these devices work on their own motives half the time.

MarceloL
Community Member

I have the Google wifi mesh, I tried to disable UPnP and it did not solve the problem 😕

UPnP is not the same as multicast. 

Hmm.. I don't think Google mesh has it or has the option to disable multicast

FrankNL
Community Member

Strange. You would expect that multicast is the precise thing that is needed for speakers to receive the exact same package at the same time... I will check this in my router settings. But on the other hand... the problem is intermittent. Yesterday everything was fine. Today the groups are malfunctioning again.

FrankNL
Community Member

Hmmm. I had the group problem, diabled multicast in my router. Speaker groups worked fine suddenly. I stopped casting. Then I enable multicast again, guess what... the groups are still working and I could join in all my speakers... so now I am not so sure about the fix...

AsteroidS
Community Member

any soluitions??? i cant get all my 8 speakers (group) to play at the same time

rcrack2k
Community Member

Today i did some search on my HassIO (Home Assistant) setup and pychromecast listener.

I can see, that some Speakers will not response to requests on ports that the speakers communicated via ZeroConf (mDNS).

{'DNS compression type 104 is unknown at 249': (<class 'zeroconf._exceptions.IncomingDecodeError'>,
IncomingDecodeError('DNS compression type 104 is unknown at 249'),
<traceback object at 0x7f2a0a774280>)}
2021-12-14 18:33:43 ERROR (Thread-42) [pychromecast.socket_client] [Alle Lautsprecher(192.168.99.176):32224] Error reading from socket.
2021-12-14 18:33:43 WARNING (Thread-42) [pychromecast.socket_client] [Alle Lautsprecher(192.168.99.176):32224] Error communicating with socket, resetting connection
2021-12-14 18:33:43 ERROR (Thread-21) [pychromecast.socket_client] [Überall(192.168.99.176):32088] Error reading from socket.
2021-12-14 18:33:43 WARNING (Thread-21) [pychromecast.socket_client] [Überall(192.168.99.176):32088] Error communicating with socket, resetting connection
2021-12-14 18:33:43 ERROR (Thread-42) [pychromecast.socket_client] [Alle Lautsprecher(192.168.99.176):32224] Failed to connect to service ServiceInfo(type='host', data=('192.168.99.176', 32224)), retrying in 5.0s
2021-12-14 18:33:43 ERROR (Thread-21) [pychromecast.socket_client] [Überall(192.168.99.176):32088] Failed to connect to service ServiceInfo(type='host', data=('192.168.99.176', 32088)), retrying in 5.0s

FrankNL
Community Member

Interesting.... Any additional findings yet?

PeterReid
Community Member

Also hitting this issue, and like others not confident Google will fix it.

simmo
Community Member

just reposting this from another user as it worked for me - turn off moble data on your phone. group worked fine straight away