cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Google nest is ignoring “my” in playlist requests and instead plays popular music

annoyednestaddy
Community Member

I’ve checked many other threads on this that go two years back and I cannot find a solution, other than creating ultra unique OAK playlist names. When I ask it to play “my —— playlist” it will no longer play it, then plays a different album or a song by that name. In the past I was able to get it to play my playlists. Seems like the word “my” has been removed from this command and it treats all entries equal.

I’m developing a paranoid, although probable, theory that either Spotify or Google have some deal with major record labels to default to their tracks, especially the artists they’re prioritizing. I’ve started tracking the major label ownership on the tracks and playlists that Nest is default playing, or deferring to, on Spotify. Most folks don’t know that there are only three main record labels and all the other random label names are typically housed under those labels. I can’t seem to get it to play tracks with similar names by truly independent labels or artists, unless they are very very popular. Perhaps there’s some algorithm setting to prioritize more popularly played music? This doesn’t work for my purposes. I need it to play my specific playlists. 

Unfortunately, using “not” commands as you can with other search engines, doesn’t seem to work. Either we’re just in the glitchy tech dark ages still, or this is a scam.

Anyone found true solution besides playlist name change? 

4 REPLIES 4

annoyednestaddy
Community Member

My post is a bit unclear— I’m trying to play my own Spotify playlists through voice command on the Nest mini. Thank you! 

Hi annoyednestaddy, 

Thanks for posting — let's sort this out.

Quick question; Do you have Spotify premium? Or do you have another music provider that has subscription? If you have, could you try using that provider and see if you can play your own playlist? To know more check out this link: https://goo.gle/2JOW42V

Keep me posted.

Best, 
Nikki

Hi there,

Chiming in to see if you still need assistance with this. Hope the previous post helped. Let us know if you have additional questions, otherwise we’ll be locking the thread.

Best,

Princess

Hello there,

Due to inactivity, I'll go ahead and lock this thread in 24 hours. Feel free to start a new thread if you need assistance with your Google speakers and we'd be glad to assist you further.

Best,

Princess