cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Google speaker plays one song then stops when asked to play a channel from SiriusXM

slashinpdx
Community Member

"Hey Google, listen to BPM Discovery from SiriusXM".  Plays the correct channel on the current speaker, but stops at the end of the song.

"Hey Google, resume".  - Nothing is playing...

This started a few days ago.

If I specify the channel by number, it works correctly:  "Hey Google, listen to channel 341 from SiriusXM".  Or, if the channel has a number and you specify it by name: "Hey Google, listen to Utopia from SiriusXM" it also works correctly.  This only happens when the channel doesn't have a number.  If it shows "SXM APP" on the channel lineup, it plays one song then stops.  Sirius XM Channel List 2022 [with Channel Numbers] (ytechb.com)

197 REPLIES 197

Krueg
Community Member

Since the new siruis app, something interesting has come up unfortunately.  While casting, you can not adjust the volume using the Home app.  It only works if you use the sirius app.  Anyone else have this issue

ordinary
Community Member

I had same issue today. Here’s how it was resolved:

• I texted SiriusXM support via the SiriusXM iPhone app. SiriusXM support eventually broadcasted a code to update my non-Google radio hardware. (I know that is separate from the Google hardware  issue, but I’m getting to that…)
  • SiriusXM support the  advised I unlink and re-link my SiriusXM account to the Google Home account, which I did.

Previously, after about a minute or two, the streaming would stop from SiriusXM to the Google mini. After unlinking and relinking the accounts, it seems to be working now without the stream cutting out.  The first step above may not be necessary, if you are solely dealing with Google streaming hardware, but those are the two steps I followed.   Hope this helps!

WaltD
Community Member

That is not the fix. You think no one has ever tried that in the two years this has been going on? This is a Google issue with Sirius.

ordinary
Community Member

WaltD is correct. Turns out, this did not  fix the issue. (I should have waited longer before posting.)  I am still having the problem: Google Mini and Google Home plays for a few minutes, if that long, then stops. Factory reset of the Google Home did not fix it, either.

Mettalic_Ranch
Community Member

Juni, Dan_A, can we get an update on progress?  Is anyone on the google side actually talking to Sirius XM, or just using us to troubleshoot and punt the issue?  

I haven't gotten any status update from Tiesan Jay in a while either for my open ticket.

after seeing others comment, I tried streaming Xtra channels again and it's working!

There does seem to be random drops on Sirius stations, but that seems to be hit or miss and it's generally working again.  

BalsamBob
Community Member

Late joiner here. I've been listening to Sirius XM on Google Nest for a couple of years & just started having problems2-3 weeks ago. I've done the reboot, unlink/relink, cleared cache & data in Google Home app, etc. I had renewed Sirius XM on both vehicles in November. Last week I discovered that one of the vehicle was missing from my subscription - but still worked. Speaking with SXM, it turned out it was somehow on a free 3-month subscription. So we fixed that and I was hoping that was the reason for my Google Nest issue - but, unfortunately - I still have the problem. For me, it will play for anywhere from a couple of minutes to maybe 15 minutes before it stops. I've spoken with both Google & Sirius XM & got pretty much the same feedback as everyone else. For now I'm streaming from my computer to a bluetooth speaker but it was much nicer streaming from my Google Nest devices.  I've been submitting "Feedback" through the Google Home app almost daily. I saw the "form" link in this thread & submitted information that way as well.  I Since Google does not appear to hav a lot of interest in resolving this, if there was a different mesh system with speakers that was confirmed to work well with SXM I would consider dropping Google and switching.

I was a huge Google fan...still am in many ways...but I recently replaced all of my Google speakers and smart screens with Echo products and have no regrets. First of all, Sirius works flawlessly. I have a routine to play a certain Xtra channel for 35 minutes. I use it almost every night and it works perfectly every time. Alexa answers questions faster and is correct more often (we did some side-by-side testing) and also responds to requests to turn lights on or off MUCH more quickly than the Google devices did. We also like the Ring Doorbell more than we liked the Nest Hello. Things just work for us now. It was painful to leave Google (we replaced 8 devices in the house and we're deep in the Google ecosystem) but I'm really glad we did. 

So I imagine I could keep the Google Nest system and add some Echo speakers and that should work as long as I listen using Echo right?  There would be no problem using Wi-Fi from the Nest to run the Echo?  I'm going to check it out.

Astinius1
Community Member

I have been having this issue for months it is driving me crazy. I have been through all of the same troubleshooting steps everyone else has as well. As a side note all of my Google home devices have also become very sluggish with any commands and my Genie lights keep disconnecting and forcing me to re-add them every few weeks as well. I have used Google ecosystem devices since the begining,  but at this point I am fed up with it and am going to dump it for something that actually works properly and reliably…

Krueg
Community Member

I now can use voice commands on the numbered channels, plays a few songs and stops.  This just happened after siriux updated the app.   I am now able to cast the xtra channels, still no voice commands though.   My husband has an iphone and he cannot cast to any of our google speakers.  I'm an android user so don't know how to look in to that.  I give up, this is just too much work and obviously is not going to be fixed.  

digitialjoy
Community Member

i just talked to a human at sirus.
they did an update to the app last month, and the update FUBAR'd the google home app.
they know, and they are working on it.
they suggested using the app on your phone, and casting it to the speakers, and to continue checking, cuz they are working on fixing the issue right now. 

WaltD
Community Member

Ha. Ha, ha....insane. that would be a terrific response falling into the "dog ate my homework" category if it were not so I'll informed on their part and disrespectful to those who they know have been experiencing this issue for almost 20 months now. It niss laughable that they cannot even get a straight answer of the timeline right.

dorleraj
Community Member

Thanks for that update.  I believe that is a different issue. I began having the issue of the nest speaker shutting off randomly regardless of channel playing after this update they are referring to. The other long-standing issue is where the Xtra Channels play one song and then it quits. Fingers crossed they fix both issues!

BalsamBob
Community Member

Is it just me?  Sirius XM is working today.  I have been playing it for at least 2 1/2 hours so far and it has not stopped! Prior to this it would normally stop within 2-15 minutes.  Sometimes it would make 30 minutes. And I would submit Feedback to Google each day. Last night I did something that should have nothing to do with this issue but now I'm wondering...  I have Starlink internet wired directly to some ethernet outlets in my house and I have the Google Nest plugged into one of those ports - meaning it is supposed to be getting internet directly from the Starlink router.  Due to a different issue I have with Starlink, I also have a TP Link router connected to the Starlink router - but the TP Link is in no remote way connected to my Google Nest - at least as far as I know. I have a phone app for the TP Link. Last night I noticed the app was logged out and I logged it in again. Now today Sirius XM works.  Seems like an odd coincidence.  I normally listen on a Nest Hub and wi-fi point.

i dont want to jinx it, but yes, appears to be a steady connection...  fingers crossed 

Worse for me today.  The Google Nest speaker tells me it is playing Sirius XM channel such and such and then never starts playing....all day today.  I checked for updates to HOME and to SiriusXM app but I'm up to date.

BalsamBob
Community Member

I'm happy to report that, for me, Sirius XM is working again today.  Yesterday I played Sirius XM Caliente for nearly 6 hours and zero issues.  I've been listening today for about 30 minutes so far and no problems.  I hope others are having a similar experience.  This is after nearly a month of it not working.

I spoke too soon!  It crashed after about 35 minutes.  😭

dorleraj
Community Member

**bleep**! I still can't get a single song to play.  It announces its going to stream and stops before a single song.  It's gone from annoyingly not playing only EXTRA channels, to shutting down sporadically, to now not playing at all....

BalsamBob
Community Member

For me, I found that my wireless router was "logged out" again in my phone app.  After I logged it in, things are working fine. So I believe I have some other issue going on and I have the internet folks coming out tomorrow to look at my setup.  They had done some wiring for me back in October & I suspect something isn't quite right.  I think there is hope that my issue will be resolved.

Joseppi
Community Member

I had routines setup to stream various SiriusXM channels throughout the day as an all-day routine but I had to disable it because the frequent cutting out after a few minutes was super annoying. I re-enabled it yesterday as a test based on the recent posts here said to have success. It seemed, for a little bit, it was fixed yesterday evening. I streamed SiriusXM from my Google Home speaker for what seemed like three to four hours without any interruptions. Then sometime this morning it broke again. What it is doing now is it kicks off a routine, begins streaming a SiriusXM channel, and after about 30 seconds, it pauses the stream for about 10 seconds, then un-pauses and resumes streaming. It repeats this over and over and over. I say the stream "pauses" because it doesn't sound like it's cutting out. When it would cut out, I'd miss part of the stream and the song would be over with when it resumed, whereas now it's stopping mid-stream, then resuming again right where it left off. It's jarring and weird to hear what is normally a 3 minute song take upwards of 8 minutes to complete. But hey, at least it's progress I suppose. I guess this means somebody, whether Google or SiriusXM, is at least toying with it and trying out a fix even if not practical. I'm going to turn off the routines again because the pausing and un-pausing streaming is far too jarring to enjoy comfortably but looking forward to more fixes coming soon hopefully.

Joseppi
Community Member

As of later today, it seems the issue may have possibly been fixed. I re-enabled routines again and one just kicked off about an hour ago and is still playing, no cut outs and no consistent pausing. I'm really hoping there was a fix done recently and this addresses the issue. Gonna keep playing routines every few hours and see how it fares tonight and over the rest of the week. I'll post another reply here with my results.

Just tried playing Alt Nation Just Music by telling one of my Google devices. For a while it would play one song then stop. But this time the next song came on! Finally

allanw
Community Member

Thought I would add my 2 cents.

I just ran some test as I have been having problems playing Sirius XM Xtra channels on a google speaker for a LOOONG time.  Longer than I can remember.  

Anyway.  I deleted the app and downloaded it again.  I noticed it was different than the one I deleted.  I thought - great - maybe it is fixed.  Nope.  It is worse for me than it used to be.  I cannot cast ANY channels from the app.  If I try, it does connect to the selected Google speaker(s) as I hear the short google connection sound coming out of all the speakers but the music never starts.  The PLAY icon on the app screen never changes to a pause indicating it is playing so it is not playing.  I press the play icon multiple times but nothing happens.

Ironically - as the following USED to be my main problem, I can now ask a google device to play ANY station from SiriusXM. INCLUDING Xtra channels and the music keeps on playing song after song.  So at least I can voice command regular and Xtra channels now,  just not use the app. 

Now I haven't tried to listen for more than 4 songs (about 15-20 min) so not sure how long it will play by voice command but already playing more than 1 song is a step in the right direction.  Now just need to get the app to work!

1 step forward - 1 step back.

PeggyLou
Community Member

Sirius XM xtra channels are now playing continuously for us too. Numbered channels continue to play also. Not aware of anything that has changed on our end.

Mine worked great again today which makes 3 days in a row. For me I feel like the problem is resolved. 

just played a half an hour of Xtra channels. no hiccups at all.

telejas
Community Member

Yep, seem fixed! 

I played an extra channel for about an hour last night… it had a few hiccups, but seem to catch back up.

PabloHK
Community Member

I've been playing the extra channels this week and have not had any issues. Finally!

Krueg
Community Member

I too am enjoying (FINALLY) flawless playback from both XTRA channels and regular channels (numbered) all with voice commands or with the cast feature.  This is fantastic!!  Keep my fingers crossed this is truly fixed 

Wosborn
Community Member

Congratulations all you SXMers - XTRA channels are working again. It took the better part of a year to get SXM to fix this problem (without SXM admitting the problem!), but we're now getting our monies worth. Rock on!

dorleraj
Community Member

I'm truly glad for you all but my story is the total opposite.  Can't get any SiriusXM music to play now. Hopefully something will change soon.

Patrick8
Community Member

Now the Xtra channels are having dropouts......

It started glitching in and out yesterday afternoon when I was listening and I finally turned it off. So far today it has been working just fine for me.

Xtra channels are having trouble when the Google display switches from showing the track to the default screen options ( ie clock, Google photos or art). Only the Xtra channels...

telejas
Community Member

Well... It was good while it lasted! The extra channels played fine for about a week then, as stated above, started glitching out. It would play fine for several songs (maybe even an our), then it would stop and start.. Sometimes once a song, sometimes a dozen times. It's now not only the extra channels, but the the regular channels as well as Spotify. I restarted my device, then reset it.... No change. I even tried on my Lenovo Smart Clock 2, same thing. Not having this issue on my Pixel 8 Pro, neither is my son on is Pixel 7. 

As I said earlier, mine was glitching on Sunday and then it did it again for just a short time on Monday, but since then, it has been working great.  But I wonder if, this time, it is more of a Google issue than a Sirius XM issue?  I say that because I also listen to music on Spotify (as a non-subscriber) and recently (several times) Spotify has also randomly stopped playing on me for no reason.