cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Home hub glitches , part 2 here we go again

Bigholty
Community Member

So.

Hub max been working ok since my last posting about 3 weeks ago..

Last night camera dropped out , voice commands are giving me the dreaded hmmm something went wrong reply again..

Turned the camera off then back on again, it's now working. So I've opened a thread on this home glitching again as the last one was closed as soon as I reported it working again...I want this holding open till it's sorted for good, as I'm sure it's all going to go wrong again...

Im feed up with the faults that have happened with all the more expensive nest components.

My Google mini speakers have never given me a fault, my Google original speakers have never failed, as soon as I started spending more on more expensive speaker's and displays then the faults started happening.

3 Google max speakers, they are glitching all the time whilst playing music via YTM to the point I've now plugged in aux cables in to keep them working...

Waste of money £350 each and they are just speakers now, no smart system at all..I want my money back on them.. Bet that won't happen.

Hub max display constantly giving problems ( apart from last 3 weeks) but that's starting again...

Google worth billions .I can see why sell cheap crappy kit at a high price and not replace or refund when faults arise.

BUT. This is the kicker, it's not hardware faults it's bloody software, something that Google are supposed to be good at!!! 

Come on Google fix your kit please or I will be putting in for refunds as a lot of my kit isn't 2 years old yet...

8 REPLIES 8

TTE
Community Member

I have found that, wihin my home, decreasing wireless strength caused my speakers to glitch and behave poorly. When I upgraded to Wifi 6, the problems disappeared. I have many, many devices in a small house, I thought my coverage was good enough, but apparently "good enough" is not, and it causes glitching. Get yourself a stronger signal so your devices can work as designed. You'll be very relieved.

Bigholty
Community Member

I have virgin fibre 1000mbs internet, virgin router is in modem mode connecting to the Google nest wifi hub and mesh , the mesh hub is 4 foot from the hub max , giving 5 bar WiFi signal strength and 250mbs transfer speed download and 50 mbs upload speed ,so I don't think the WiFi signal strength is a problem, unless I can change the settings on the Google WiFi then I don't know what else to do.. 

Doing a speed test via my mobile phone a Google pixel 6 I'm getting the above speeds 

Bigholty
Community Member

WiFi 6 , I've looked into this since you mentioned it, ( correct me if in wrong) WiFi 6ghz won't work with any Google connected speaker or display's as Im aware they only work on the 2.4 GHz channel .. Or at least you must be on the 2.4ghz to get them to connect? 

Am I missing something.

The biggest problem with the Google nest WiFi and WiFi hub I have is you cannot select what band to join.. If it's the 2.4ghz band you need to set up equipment, my phone will jump on the 5ghz as it's the fastest and will NOT allow you to switch to 2.4ghz UNLESS I walk down the garden until it drops the 5ghz and switches to 2.4ghz then I can set up the equipment that is only connectable on the 2.4ghz frequency . Only problem I have is if I get to close it will jump back in to the 5ghz and stop the installation...

A really bad fault that Google haven't fixed yet or can't fix..

TTE
Community Member

WiFi 6 isn't 6GHz, it's 6th generation WiFi standard. WiFi 6 supports multiple band networks, most commonly dual bands: 2.4GHz and 5GHz. For each Google device, you can choose which network and band the device will connect and auto-reconnect to.  It sounds like your phone autoconnects to both your 5GHz band and the 2.4GHz band depending on signal strength. Understand, though, that happens only because you have opted for that to happen.

Bigholty
Community Member

Ok , got the 6th generation. 

How do you select which band to connect too, Google WiFi dosen't give an option to select a band because you can't name the 2.4 and 5.0 GHz differently to identify which one to choose . 

Regarding my pixel 6 ...can you describe how to select 2.4ghz frequency only ,that would be a massive help on setting up equipment..

TTE
Community Member

If your network hardware does not allow you to set separate SSIDs for your communication bands, then there really is no way I'm aware of to change your phone settings. I've never used hardware that limited my options so much.  Perhaps there's a Reddit group or other site that can advise you how to work around your Goggle-enforced frequency/SSID conglomeration. Best of luck! But at least you have identified the Google Hub and other assistant devices are not the issue. It's that they're inconsistenly connected to multiple/varying network frequencies, and cannot communicate with each other properly/efficiently. One workaround would be to set up a separate WiFi network for your IOT devices. 

Bigholty
Community Member

Having just purchased another nest WiFi mesh point ,to try and help bridge the 2 rooms limit Google say i should have ..

Having gone through every connected device and check each items connection speed.. The home hub is only connecting at 250kbs then dropped out .. I've tested again as we speak it's now 144Mbps which is strange as the WiFi speed in this room is only 76.1 Mbps ...

Very confusing. Something is affecting the signal causing the hub max to loose signal strength.....

I was really hoping the extra point would stop this .

Beginning to get very fed up with Google stuff at the moment