cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Recipe Next Step/Ingredient Command doesn't work

jesuismoi7
Community Member

When using Google Home Mini to cook, it has become pretty useless. I send the recipe from my phone, it starts to read it, gets through the first step or ingredient, can continue on to the next if I ask before it stops listening. But if it stops listening, when I then say "Ok/Hey Google, next ingredient" it either doesn't understand, or finds a recipe with the word "ingredient" in the title. If I say "Ok/Hey Google, next step" it finds Places with the word "next" or "step" in the title. This has been going on for months now, with both of my speakers.

85 REPLIES 85

Wow... see, that video is awesome, and what I wanted from my Nest Hub when I bought it A MONTH AGO! Sure wish I would have known these features no longer work. 

Gwythonna
Community Member

Still experiencing problems. Not purchasing new item from google because this functionality is important. It has been a really long time not working. Probably switching to Alexa or another for Xmas.

RageQuit78
Community Member

Yep, same issue here. Cooking is so frustrating. I just use my phone. All voice commands seem to be getting worse. "Play State Azure" still plays me Status Quo 90% of the time. My Google Assistant still doesn't know "Why are you so crap?" but I ask it every week.

Definitely true that all voice commands are getting worse. It drops a lot of things that it could once do well. I thought these things were supposed to gradually improve their functionality.

Anna74
Community Member

I have the same issue. In addition, some recipes it saves no worries, but 50% of time, assistant replying back to me “I don’t understand” and even if I physically try to save recipe to my cookbook, it tells me that it doesn’t understand. 

Jbrune
Community Member

I found an earlier post that has some responses from google, https://www.googlenestcommunity.com/t5/Speakers-and-Displays/Google-Home-and-Google-Mini-gets-lost-r....  I suggest we all pile over there.

Llstaud
Community Member

Thanks! 

JEMiculka
Community Member

Working on it, lol.  Right

Stratopack
Community Member

Hey got the same issue. Nothing works - can't send recipes, can't use Chefkoch, can't use rezepthos - nothing did work.

BUT - I FOUND A SOLUTION.

I'm based in Germany and always the message of nest hub was - I cant understand you or this is not allowed with your country and language settings.

I tried a lot of things - then I wanted to check a different language and  set language to german AND english. Restarted the device and did again my Voice recognition process. And then - everything works fine!!!

I can use everything in german. don't have to speak english. only the possibility of english seemed to  do the change

Perhaps this could help a few people....

Would be nice to hear if that works for other users, too?

Thanks! I'll try this tonight and let you know if it makes any difference with mine. 

And??? Any changes?

Springglenmom
Community Member

So disappointed

Renfairegeek
Community Member

Mine also does this, but I am simply using my Android phone. No smart device with it.

dzales73
Community Member

yes me too! any solution?

Try to setup 2 Languages German AND English. That worked on mine. After setting up a second laguage and restart - everything works fine. Ah - and personal voice recognition has to be done!

benep255
Community Member

I am having the same problem on a google hub, this feature doesn't work and it's the only reason I bought this device.

Have you tried to setup 2 Languages? That worked on mine

Can you provide the detailed steps in doing what you did please?

Ok - I try to. In my case nothing did work. No recepies, no assistant functions for that. Always I got the message - this function is not possible with your country and langauge settings - or nothing, or sometimes - I got a google search result...

Nobody could get me a solution.

Then I tried the following:

Country setting - Germany (like it is)

Language setting - German

Then language setting additional to english

Then I started the personal voice recognicion process.

After all I restarted the divice - and all of a sudden everything works now. Its fun - when I talk german - nest home first try to write in english, but then it changes to german. And all the voice commands are in german, too. I tried to do voice commands and stuff in English - and then the device changes everything to english too. So it seemed to work in both languages.

So - I hope my english is good enough... Couldnt write down the steps more detailed, because I'm in my office and can't check the special menu items and where to find. I think it's on your mobile app under "google assistant"

Adding Deutsch as a second language in the assistant settings worked when I said ok Google next Step. It actually read the next step.

Unfortunately, adding a second language, retraining the voice recognition, and rebooting did not fix the issue for me. 

perhaps you have to experiment with different languages? I'm not sure wich combinations work. Seems that English and German works in a lot of cases...

sailbeb
Community Member

i was going to buy one... 

Jillo
Community Member

Just happened yesterday to me. So the device I've used for 4 years is basically trash now

jmark1m1
Community Member

My work around is touching the 'next step' button on the touch screen of my google device.  Not so great but it works.

Unhappy with google for the delays on this so called bug.  How many software engineers are under their employ?  Not a priority at google!

Stratopack
Community Member

for me - still the same situation what I explained before. Had the same issues like all the other users!

But - Setting the device to two languages (German and English), then redo the voice recognition, then restart -  fixed everything. Since month its working absolutely fine now. Cooking, Voice commands and so on.

Bdeweese
Community Member

Come on man. This crap has been happening over almost 2 years. Where is the fix? Seriously, has Google given up on Nest products? Wtf is going on?

Ryanjv
Community Member

It's Mid May and this issue still isn't resolved. This is ridiculous. It's literally the only purpose of this screen in a kitchen. If I can't do recipes, I may as well have tossed a mini in the kitchen 

I tried the following:

Country setting - Germany (like it is)

Language setting - German

Then language setting additional to english

Then I started the personal voice recognicion process.

After all I restarted the divice - and all of a sudden everything works now. Its fun - when I talk german - nest home first try to write in english, but then it changes to german. And all the voice commands are in german, too. I tried to do voice commands and stuff in English - and then the device changes everything to english too. So it seemed to work in both languages.

Jillo
Community Member

I've been on chat with them for weeks on twitter. They have no help at all or why I can't cast recipes from my phone. They don't know why at all and are still looking into it. I am pissed

jesuismoi7
Community Member

Another thread on this topic I was on just got closed for "inactivity" despite there obviously being nothing solved. I, and I assume most other people on this thread (other than those who've gotten the 2nd language thing to help), have seen no change in the Home failure to read recipes. So I'm commenting to keep this thread active, even though it doesn't seem to matter to Google enough to fix it.

Gwythonna
Community Member

I saw that too, so dismissive. For those who want this feature back,  I suggest we try recipes as often as possible and say "report a problem" each step that doesn't work.  Perhaps that will help Google figure it out.  

dzales73
Community Member

I have been having this problem for well over a year now.  I read somewhere to add German as a language and it would fix it. (somehow) and believe it or not it did. But just recently it is not working again.  Apparently Google doesn't give a crap about customers who spent $200 a pop on these devices. They advertise this function on their commercials and it doesn't work.  Isn't there something consumers can do or someone they can file a complaint with.  We at least deserve a response.  Let people know you are actually working on it or not. If so, estimated time frame would be nice.  If not then say so and we can all just stop wasting our time hoping it will someday just work again.

Dj3
Community Member

I'm still experiencing the same thing and it is still very frustrating. I am thinking that they are not going to fix it. It has been months now.

I am now ready to stop using it all together and dump it. We have a mix of other products in our house and Google needs to be gone!

69Pat69
Community Member

Mine still isn’t working a year later. I’m expecting Google to simply abandon the whole home assistant project at this point.

mallemang
Community Member

false advertising until they get it workin!

jesuismoi7
Community Member

Experiencing yet another issue with my Google Home Mini (smart lights can't be added to Routine as an action), I was reminded to come here to keep this thread alive. I assume this will never be fixed, and the second a competitor has a product with a similar service, I'll be switching, but keeping this going on the slim chance Google will suddenly care that they have dismissing customer concerns for over a year and committing false advertising.

jesuismoi7
Community Member

This thread is now literally the 2nd result on Google when searching "Google home recipes don't work" yet Google continues to ignore us.

jacobrobertson
Community Member

So essentially, I bought my family this cool thing to help in the kitchen and it's a huge piece of garbage?  I already had a google home.  So... I will look into returning it, and quite honestly I'm regeretting (again) investing in the Android/Google ecosystem.  Does Apple have something better?