cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Since latest Nest Hub v1 FW update bluetooth no longer works

brekelbende
Community Member

Hi all, 

Since the last firmware upgrade of my Nest Hub v1  playing sound over bluetooth devices no longer works. It's vary flacky with connecting but never actually plays sound through my BT devices; UA Wonderboom 2 and Fosi BT220A (BT reciever/amp to rca) . I'm currently on firmware 9.20221010.3.176 (11 jan 2023 i guess)

Nest hub says it's connected and the Wonderboom plays a confirmation sound, but it will not send sound to it with youtube/spotfiy/tunein/whatever. 

I say "hi, google connect to bluetooth" for reconnecting to previous connected BT then it says that the device doesn't support bluetooth. It's pretty weird behaviour and since it's failing on 2 BT devices since the update i suspect that this update has something to do with it. I also tried a other Nest Hub v1 and there it also fails to connect. The plot thickens...

Does anyone have similar behaviour or a fix?

Thanks for thinking along with me!

94 REPLIES 94

Btw ALL these SAME BT SPEAKERS connect right away to chromcast google tv

Thanks for joining us here.

Sorry about your problem.

Can you go into settings, bluetooth, on your Nest Hub and confirm your bluetooth device actually shows as paired and connected?

If you have the same issue then Settings, Bluetooth, devices will show your device connected, and potentially set as your preferred audio device... but either audio will only come from the Nest Hub speaker or you may get an error voice prompt.  This thread is for the misrouted audio that doesn't go over the connected bluetooth, and instead comes out the built-in speaker in the Nest Hub.

An audio routing problem and an error about the device are 2 different issues.

If you are only getting an error you might try restarting bith devices, if you haven't already, and re-pairing the Bluetooth device after removing it.

Maybe you'll get lucky.

SmartySmarts
Community Member

Getting both

?"An audio routing problem and an error about the device are 2 different issues."

They coincide.

Are you saying I should leave and look elsewhere for better probability of a solution? Confused 

Roamans
Community Member

Yes, it’s very frustrating. I used to have it connect to my Yamaha receiver with my surroundsound now it will play for approximately two seconds and then stops. I’ve tried several things can’t seem to get it to work.

AaronJMyers
Community Member

Still not fixed.

Over 6 months now, with no fix and ignored the last few months by googlenestcommunity staff, like we just don't matter.

I know we got an update, because now I can turn on my Vizio TV by voice command again, which wasn't my concern, but it was another problem.

As previously:  I can clear all bluetooth devices, and pair my Samsung soundbar, and set it as the preferred audio device, and it says it's connected, the soundbar shows Nest Connected, but audio routes out the Best Hub V1 speaker instead of the selected Bluetooth speaker/soundbar.

Used to work flawless for at least 2 years.  Still works for all other bluetooth sources.

About to open a new complaint for the service level being so crappy, that there was some half hearted script reading support responses thst were useless, then more and more being ignored, despite a legit firmware bug that's now gone on over 6 months without being addressed.

Well, I bought the Google Nest Hub today and excitedly took it home and connected it to my Samsung Soundbar, off and running, fantastic. Everything working fine.....then an update started on the Nest Hub.....now surprise surprise, it won't play through the Bluetooth speaker. It says it's connected, set as default, but won't play through speaker. Then I stumbled upon this thread whilst trying to find answers. I think I'll just take it back tomorrow get a refund and buy another brand. Any suggestions?

Hello,

Maybe a Lenovo?  I hear they actually work as expected. 👍

apowers00
Community Member

I am having the same problem reported here. I have three Fosi Audio BL20A devices that worked flawlessly with google nest hubs for one year and then suddenly they have stopped working. I also cannot connect the Nest Hubs to any other bluetooth devices as a default speaker including my Bose Qc35ii headphones. What happens is the default speaker cannot be changed even though it shows the headphones or the Fosi Audio device as a paired bluetooth device. So disappointing that this was reported in January and yet nothing has been done about it. Going to tweet Google.

apowers00
Community Member

Does anyone know if there is a way to revert the google nest devices to previous firmware? Seriously the previous firmware was working flawlessly for bluetooth. If not, yes AaronJMyers I would return it.

if there is, Google isn't telling us ...

It would be a good solution if we could

pgm944
Community Member

I have three versions of the Nest Hub - V1, V2 and Max.  I got V1 to connect a month or so ago.  It lost it's Bluetooth connection and I can not reconnect by replicating what I did earlier (bouncing between the Pixel 7 Home app and the Hub settings).  I recently got a Next Max (larger screen, but shoot me) and it will NOT connect to the Foss Audio BT amp.   I have another BT amp (ZAD?).  I will, as I have time, continue to see what hub connects to what BT amp and what does not work.  I also have a few BT speakers (Photon, Bose, etc).  I have read (this forum) that the Hubs will not connect to BT earphones.  I have both a samsung and google versions.... will try them out too.

i will cross post this to the other thread, if I can find it.

Thanks for the update.

Maybe it's just your choice of terminology, but the bluetooth devices do pair and connect... what is actually broken is audio routing, which stays stuck routing the audio to the Nest Hub internal mono speaker only.

As much as it SEEMS like a bluetooth issue, that connection is made, but the audio doesn't get routed out the chosen device... so it's the audio subsystem in the Nest Hubs failing to honor the selected preferred or commanded audio output route...

You should be able to say "play some music on Foss" and it should use that device, or you might select a different device that's also connected, like a Samsung soundbar, and you used to be able to tell it which you wanted to use by name of bluetooth device ...  that has been broken since the January update.

@AaronJMyersI have a huge amount of respect for you being the "de facto" moderator of this thread.  Any yes, keep poking me for updates. 

I hear your terminology bump.  I understand, as I have taught, that the BT stack is hugely simple.  This should take a Google engineer a day or two to figure out how their software works with external, google branded & non-google devices. 

Interestingly, but off topic, my Pixel 7 does not like the Bose "Crimson Flex" that I bought on discount.  Go figure.  Conspiracy Theory:  Google wants to supplement BT withCchromeCast.  If so, why did the ditch ChromeCast Audio? They could of.... (can you say YouTube?).

More data soon.

pgm944
Community Member

Hi All -  After extensive testing, I am all in with @AaronJMyers  that this is a "routing" issue in the software stack (Fuchsia?).

I have three Nest Hubs: Version 1 & 2 and "Max".  
I tried to connect to the following BT devices:  Google Earbuds V1, Foss BT Amp, ZAD BT Amp, Bose Flex SoundLink and 3M's WorkConnect Headphones.   

None worked.  All showed a BT "connection".  None routed audio to the BT device.

All work with my Pixel 7 (thus my Fuchsia accusation).

This is so fixable (IMHO).  Its time to get everyone, everyday, to push a complaint via our "Hubs" that BT is broken.  Not sure that will work, but clearly so far, Google does not care.

Peace out.

BWilly
Community Member

I'd like to let everyone know that my Bluetooth still doesn't work. Nest hub v1. Have any of the tech blogs reported on this? Would probably make a good read.