cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Speaker Groups no longer responding to spoken requests!

Dugstor
Community Member

We use Google Home to the maximum in out house with 69 devices using the service.

Part of this setup is 8 speakers comprising of Max, Home, Nest Display, Nest Audio etc...

Anyway, as of a couple of days ago when asking Google to "play on all speakers", "bedroom speakers" or any other group she responds "Sorry, I don't understand". The groups are still visible and selectable in the Google Home app. 

I've tried:

Factory resetting all devices

Reinstalling the Google Home App 

Deleting and recreating speaker groups 

Reset Google Wi-fi 

Still nothing works, if I hear "Sorry I don't understand" one more time I'm likely to burn the house down with all the Google products inside. 

These devices have worked pretty much perfectly for years, but the past 6 months of so they've become so unstable, and with key functionality being removed as part of the Sonos ruling I'm definitely suffering buyers remorse.    

Anyone else having this issue? 

51 REPLIES 51

Mine is working now, as well!  Thanks for posting.

garyroyale
Community Member

Yep looks like it's back up magically.. took over a week but working

Johnag4004
Community Member

Cool, seems to be ok here now too...😊

rusyar
Community Member

TLDR: All device/music command’s are back live after almost 2 weeks of non-functioning. 

I confirm that as of 00:20 CET (Berlin. DE) Feb 23, 2023 everything started working again. I have not done any additional actions from my side. Assuming that some fix has been rolled out from the Google side. 

Appreciate everyone’s help fixing this issue! 

Cudos do @chickenside for providing timely escalation to the Google Support team! Would not been able to find this thread without your initial post. 

IcyGeddon
Community Member

I can confirm speaker group controls over voice are working again. Just tested it out and worked as it did before it broke. Thanks Google team for taking our reports and fixing this issue. 

BillNAbq75
Community Member

I am having this issue. However, as soon as I removed the Nest Hub from the speaker group, the groups work perfectly. If I add the Nest Hub back into the speaker group in Google Home, the group quits working.

chickenside
Community Member

Hi Dan and everyone.

Apologies for my absence from this thread. I was out of town last week enjoying the epic snowstorm that engulfed most of the northern Midwest.

I was pleasantly pleased to find that my GH devices operated normally when I returned.  I took no action; they just started working liked they did before the two week glitch that impacted everyone here.

Bearman1966
Community Member

**bleep** dude.  My chromecast is not running YouTube but you had a fit!

mantis2k
Community Member

Same problem here.  Play music to group voice command works from android phone, but not when giving voice command to any nest audio device.   It definitely feels like an open beta test. 

G00gleistrash
Community Member

Really just replying to see if Google ever offers any acknowledgment whatsoever or potential fix. I use this speaker set up with Chromecast for my gym that I coach and run my business out of, but google is quickly making themselves irrelevant with this garbage.
pulling out the phone to log into the app to connect all the additional speakers is only a short term fix. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I was having the issue described. I experimented and now give two Commands. the first is Hey google, play Rockbar 313 on SiriusXM. Then, once the music begins playing, the next Command is Hey Google, cast on <All> “ All is one of my groups. “ Hey google, Play in <All>”, has also worked.

Hdm111909
Community Member

Yes my speakers aren’t connecting well either and they stutter a lot when connected