Individually my speakers all work fine, but very few of my groups work well. I've just created a new one as an experiment, including only 3 speakers, and playing from desktop spotify the music is cutting in and out for seconds at a time.
I thought it might be specific to my original google home, but I've removed it and the group is still stuttering.
The group in question now contains a MuSo Qb, chromecast audio and a JBL playlist. But problems are not restricted to this group.
The only group that seems to work reliably is just 2 speakers, chromecast audio + Mu-so Qb.
I apologize about the late response, thank you for being patient! Were you able to fix that speaker group issue? If not, I'd be happy to help out, let me just ask you some questions about what's happening:
I look forward to your response, and if you have any other questions or concerns for me, please let me know!
It's still happening, and it seems to happen the most when I use a group with my original google home (the gen 1 tall version) in the group.
It's been happening for a while, months, I can't say for exactly how long, sorry.
Version of google home on my phone? Not sure how to check, but also not sure why it would matter, the problem occurs using voice command, spotify, or however I do the stream.
The gen 1 google home is running
Cast firmware 1.56.264660
It happens with all sources of audio, this can be "hey google play guns and roses to downstairs", spotify on my phone, spotify on my desktop... I don't think I have any more sources than that to try.
Rebooting all routers and all google devices (I've had an electrician doing work, so the entire house was powered off).
Different smaller groups - these seem to work best when I don't include that gen 1 device.
That's it I think...
Thank you for the response! Let me get some more details about your issue, I'm taking this response from a previous thread on a similar issue:
Here are the things that you can do that may help you fix the issue.
I hope that helps you out, I look forward to your response! If you had any other questions or concerns, please let me know.
The gen 1 device is about 12 feet from the router, in a spot with excellent coverage, I have a mesh and I know that there are no devices that don't have a strong signal.
Any group of 3 or over seems to suffer the problem, but worst with the gen 1 device in them.
It's fairly consistent, you might get a group to work maybe 1 time in 10, or for a few seconds, but you couldn't listen to music like that.
You can't specify that all devices sit within a 5ft wide slice 15 to 20 feet from the router, not unless you imagine that houses are circular with the router sat in the exact centre... The devices are where the devices need to be, the signal is good in these locations.
2 devices seems to work a lot better, the larger the group the worse it is!
Go ahead and give these steps a try and let me know if that helps the issue:
A speaker’s group delay correction setting applies to all the groups that the speaker is a part of. If you connect your Chromecast Audio to another speaker, the previous group delay correction setting might be incorrect. Make sure to reset it to 0 delay again and listen to check if additional correction is required.
This is usually done for correcting speaker delays, but it may also help in this scenario, let me know if this helps out!
Hey there Cyclone,
I'm real sorry about the late response on this, but I talked with the engineering department about your issue and this is what they told me. It seems like this is an issue with interference since the issue is intermittent. Grouping your Chromecast Audio with another speaker means that this is not specific with your Chromecast Audio but rather with the network. I'd suggest checking the Wi-Fi signals in your vicinity. If there are too many devices emitting on a specific channel, changing the channels which your network uses may solve the issue.
Let me know if that helps out!
I doubled-checked with a higher tier of support and we do believe that the Wi-Fi channels is still likely the culprit. Since we're working with multiple Bluetooth devices and Bluetooth uses the 2.4 GHz band, so it might cause interference. We still suggest checking the Wi-Fi signals to see if there are too many devices emitting on a specific channel and changing the channels which your network uses.
However, if you'd prefer, you can always directly contact Google via phone if you'd like to talk with someone about this issue, since I know this back-and-forth via the community forum is pretty slow.
Now I'm very confused, what has bluetooth got to do with it? We're not talking about any devices actively using bluetooth???
My wifi is already tuned, I've made sure to choose the most uncongested channel, and it's pretty good, I'm a fair distance from my neighbours so I don't suffer a lot of wifi congestion.
Thanks for the effort, but I feel like the focus on the wifi is a real mistake, the problems seem to be centred on the 1st gen google home device, groups without that specific device work much more reliably.
I'm sorry for the confusion on this, I've been going back and forth with a higher tier of support on this issue.
At this point, you may need a replacement if it keeps dropping on only this specific functionality, since you have already narrowed down the issue only occurs if the speaker group contains your Gen 1 Google Home speaker. I'd highly recommend that you contact support with the link I provided above for this particular issue.