cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Stop Nest from playing music videos

Jmac3087
Community Member

Hello - I've reviewed thread: https://www.googlenestcommunity.com/t5/Speakers-and-Displays/Stop-Nest-Hub-from-playing-video-with-Y... and it does not have an working solution to the problem.

I've turned off music videos within the Youtube Music app on my phone. I've ensured Youtube Music is the default playback for the Nest Hub device as it was said to do in the thread I linked.

When I made the change in the settings on my mobile android device in Youtube music to stop playing videos, it worked initially when telling the Nest Hub Max verbally to play a song: "hey google, play xyz". I tested the same song before I made the change in my YT Music account and after. It played videos before and then after I made the change, it stopped. However, after the song is over and it automatically starts playing another song, those songs started with music videos again.

1 REPLY 1

Allen99
Community Member

I continue to have the same problem with YouTube music prioritizing the video versions of songs to play on my speaker/speaker group. No video display involved, but YTM is sure I want to listen to all the added BS in the music video. There are constant threads on this topic and never a resolution. Someone will ask about the firmware update versions or have the user try changing video vs song settings on the YTM app, but NEVER have I seen an actual resolution where the user didn't come back a day or two later and say "nevermind, issue came back."

YouTube folding their music service into their video service has been terrible and continues to be years later. It still can't handle albums properly. GPM had no problem playing an album not adding a delay between tracks. YouTube music ruins the experience by adding a couple seconds is dead space between tracks that the artist clearly intended to flow together. And that's if you get it to start the album you explicitly named instead of a random user's similarly titled public playlist that hopefully has at least some of the right songs.

When the podcast app is turned off and rolled into the YouTube ecosystem, I might need to finally throw in the towel and start extracting myself from Google. YT TV, YTM, Google Fi, and Google One all have alternatives and Google doesn't seem to want to compete on quality or value anymore. Once upon a time a single ecosystem was both cheaper and better, now it's neither.

Honestly, if the speakers just played the music albums I asked for and didn't add in all the video sound effects, I wouldn't have this level of frustration and wouldn't consider going through the effort of switching everything. Instead, this "minor" thing that it used to get right, regularly has me angry instead of relaxing to my music and is going to finally push me to action.

Your post is already a week old, and has no answers. If Google had a solution to this problem, there would be an easy answer. Instead, no solution has been provided and the developers that could fix this if they were allowed to have probably been laid off.