cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

White Noise ambient sound has changed, is there a way to change it back?

BG2989
Community Member

Been using the white noise ambient sound to help sleep and noticed last night the sound had been changed. Sounds like a new file and it's not only quieter the audio loop is a lot shorter, with a sudden drop off after about 30 minutes before it loops again (the previous one was about an hour long and started again much faster). Is there a way to restore to the older sound file?

1 Recommended Answer

KiiFromGoogle
Community Manager (Admin)
Community Manager (Admin)

Hi everyone, 

Thanks for your feedback here! There was an issue impacting our white noise experience. It’s fixed now and working as it previously did. 

Hopefully that answers your questions, but let me know if you need any more help. Thanks! 

View Recommended Answer in original post

206 REPLIES 206

Rskottie
Community Member

Whew - I thought I was losing my mind!

We noticed the same thing, which resulted in my kid asking to use the old white noise generator we had prior to switching over to the Nest Hub a couple years ago.

The new "white noise" does have a better looping transition than the original one, but.....

#firstworldproblems

Hardb
Community Member

Talking about feeling crazy. I thought I had clogged ears or something. I even tired a few different devices in my home before we found out it was an upgrade from Google. My toddler has noticed the sound change and now wakes during the night. Please revert back to the original noise. It was so much nicer. 

Mish
Community Member

Yes! Swore either my mind or the speaker was going!

The new one is annoying! I'd prefer the old one back. Why did they even change it in the first place?

S2v
Community Member

No idea how to use the old sound (tried a lot last night) but the white noise last night was terrible. it only went for 10 min loop and so heard it dropping in and out constantly. Notice today it's better, still 10 but have looped it properly so you don't have the silencein transition. Its very quite compared still.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How do you loop it without it not having a weird break? 

Bethyruthrz
Community Member

We're experiencing the same thing! Had to turn our Google home up a lot for our daughter. Thought our speaker was on its way out!

WagnerKoop
Community Member

I literally gave them a call about it and explained the problem, like how it’s clearly pulling a different file now. I think if we can at least get a dozen people to let them know this is an issue they might change it back.

What number did you call?

What number did you call?

Marty Halun

Artartart
Community Member
  • We have the same issue.  It’s a different pitch.  Almost muffled 

same! i thought i had a piece of paper on top of the speaker or my ears were clogged!

Mirandab
Community Member

Same here, very annoying you have to set the volume to 70%, but you can't change the volume of the confirmation you want to dim the lights... 

neo1981seattle
Community Member

I really hope Google fixes this issue or provides a workaround. The new "sound" doesn't do what it's supposed to. We use this feature over 10 hrs/ day in a couple rooms. 

SHINKSO
Community Member

It's only just changed for me this evening (UK), it's very muffled like airplane engine noise. I hope they revert or at least offer a choice.

veganica
Community Member

It's changed here in Canada too. I play it every night for my toddler and she's really upset about this change and obviously doesn't understand it. Please, let there be a way to get the older version back so we can maintain our sleep schedule and sanity!

My son too, he asked me to fix it😳

Yes, same here!!! My toddler was super sensitive to this change.. I play the same white noise for him to sleep since he was born! Now he is having trouble falling asleep e waking up several times at night and not soothing himself 😭 And I can't find the old white noise elsewhere. I just ask please Google, do something about it! We are sleep deprived enough!

NotAlexa
Community Member

That k God I googled about this! How irritating is that!? I've literally used white noise to sleep for about 10 or more years and for the past few years been quite content with home mini then upgrade to nest and here I am suddenly quite unhappy about that weird change! 

Bon22
Community Member

Glad it’s not just me going crazy! It’s so much quieter and like others have said, muffled. The constant looping is distracting too. 

north-brissy
Community Member

So its not just me.... Caught off guard with putting down toddler for his nap... Hopefully they can bring back the previous white noise. 

Juanoban
Community Member

Both my v1 Google home mini and nest mini seem to be playing a significantly lower quality white noise tonight. When Assistant plays it on my phone, it's the old high quality one. 

Not sure what's going on, but would like a way to fix it

Dpop
Community Member

Please have this changed back to the original, my kids have noticed and they won't go to sleep. They are saying I dont like this google, I want the other google.

Jerzyiroc
Community Member

Just noticed this tonight. I'm really annoyed. I've been using the white noise for almost 2 years now. Sounds terrible. I also would play one of it's lullaby songs on my phone and that's changed too. My daughter and I would sing the song together and now it just goes right to the sound and no more vocals. She was really upset and tbh so am I. Is it not 1hr long and 12hrs anymore? 

Michellebarbour
Community Member

This us literally ruining my baby's naps and night sleep! Please change this back!!!! 🙏🏻 

My baby is waking every 30 minutes with this new noise. Compared to sleeping 12 hrs at night. I'm exhausted. 

My kid had the worst sleep she had had in the past 6 months..wondering if the same applies here...seemed every 30 minutes to stir, cry and wake up

Ack443
Community Member

How do we complain to someone directly? I have used this white noise sound since my son was born two years ago. You can imagine the mess it's creating tonight at bedtime. Never mind the awful sound, it also doesn't block out any of the other noises in the house, which is a nightmare with a newborn. Please please put this back to how it was. 

Rskottie
Community Member

I believe that there are moderators that monitor the community posts.  My assumption is that nothing will happen unless they see a message thread like this getting A TON of complaints!

I called support but after an 1hr 45mins. It was determined that the only thing I could try would be send feedback on the app to hope the Engineers with change it back for the next monthly updates. 

SophieIs7
Community Member

My daughter sleeps with white noise every night. She loves the old one. Not sure why Google would change this. Please change it back!

Annihilated
Community Member

This is utterly ridiculous to be honest. The output volume is so low and the audio is way too muffled. It would be better if we can grab the file and play it somewhere else 

Mummasthename93
Community Member

Just like everyone here, we do not like the new sound. My son relies on it for sleep and the sudden drop wakes him constantly. Please change it back!!!!

Tgrlily581
Community Member

Ditto to everything above.  Just noticed the new sound tonight (definitely wasn't like this last night).  My 9 month old has been using this to sleep since day 1.  Please don't mess with our sleep!  The volume on our mini is now super high!! Change it back for the love of all parents!

Anonymous-dad
Community Member

I am glad we are not the only parents upset about this. Where should I be calling to submit my formal complaint? Although the lope is less noticeable, the shorter time period and muffled low quality sound file is not a positive update and needs fixing. 

Glad I’m not crazy, it’s too quiet now, please change it back!

Rskottie
Community Member

We are going to try "River Sounds" as that seems somewhat similar to the original "White Noise".

cian83
Community Member

Same! So glad it’s not just me. I reset everything and still sounds muffled and like a bad audio file. 

ldrrp
Community Member

I managed to save the old mp3 file a while back im going to try and convert it from 1hr to 12hr as it normally looped before. This really sucks!!!!

Ack443
Community Member

Is there any way you can share it? 

ldrrp
Community Member

Dont worry, im working on it right now as we type