cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

nest hub wont turn on tv anymore (repost)

kevmoso
Community Member

This is a repost. My previous post had no official response and has been locked to further replys.

My entire Google Nest hub collection (1 home max, 2 hub and 2 hub mini) can no longer turn on my LG TV (oled55e9). They can all turn the tv off but not on. Attempts to turn the tv on with any Nest hub product results in the voice message "it looks like the tv is not available right now"

This worked perfectly for the last several years, ever since setting it all up, and has now stopped working for no reason that I can discern.

Google voice assistant on my Android phone will turn the tv on.

Google voice assistant on my wife's iPhone will turn the tv on.

Google Home app will turn on the TV from both phones.

The LG ThinQ app on my Android phone will turn on the TV.

All Google Nest hubs properly operate every other smart device in my home (14 providers and about 50 devices).

I have power cycled everything (modem, router, switches, TV etc) multiple times.

I have deleted and re-added the LG ThinQ credentials from both the Google home ecosystem and the TV itself multiple times.

No network hardware changes have been made.

I am quite exhausted from trying to fix this and humbly beg for help.

7 REPLIES 7

Ashepherdson
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Just reading through some boards it looks like lg may have actually made this change, I'm not really sure on the reasoning.   

Only thing I have found is delete the device from your home , close the app and reload, add the TV back in, but name it something besides TV ..

Also, can you see the TV as a Chromecast destination when it's off?  Are there power settings in the TV menu that would turn off network connections when it is off ? A low power mode or something similar ? 

kevmoso
Community Member

Hi Ashepherdson,

Thanks for your response.

A change on LGs part would make sense, to me, ONLY IF none of my other devices could turn the TV on. As it stands, only my collection of nest hubs cannot turn the tv on. I have deleted the TV from my home, rebooted everything and added it back several times. I did it again just now in response to your reply, with a different name this time, and no change.

I can see the tv as a castable destination (from all phones and all computers on my network) when it is off and initiating the cast will turn the tv on.

My problem turning on the TV is ONLY with Google Nest hub devices. 2 Hub, 1 Hub max, and 2 hub mini.

This is, clearly to me, a problem with the Google Nest hub products.

Ashepherdson
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

A problem limited to lg TV's , so something else is going on here.  I have a few different TV's and they all work from the hubs , as well as all other Google devices , but none of my TV's are LG.  I'm only repeating what I have read on other forums like reddit.  

Were you able to look through the TV settings to see if there is anything there as it relates to Chromecast / Google assistant ? 

Ashepherdson
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Also one reddit posts suggests saying "turn on LG TV" despite the TV not being named that in either Google home or thinq .. you can give that a try as well.  I just suspect it's LG and googles operating systems fighting over something silly here 

Interesting idea here that I had not tried.

Didn't work... lol

I keep hoping that it is something silly. Something I have overlooked.

I was planning to upgrade the TV to one of their newer and larger models but more and more here the Sony A95K are looking like my next move...

I have experimented extensively with the settings in the TV. Nothing I have toggled, power savings, assistant setting etc. has had any effect.

MachoRich
Community Member

I have the same issue with Nest Hub or mini's.  I have Vizio TVs.  It looks like using wire shark that when TV is in a certain mode where it is offline when powered off(eco mode) the command is routed a different way via a magic packet sent down to TV.  In this case I get same error message and do not see magic packets sent.  When I use the Google Home app from phone and issue same command it works fine.  Try it from the app and then try contact Google support. I tried today and they tried dismissing me when I proved its an issue.