cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Nest Hello Wired Doorbell stuck on serial number in setup

ScarlettJ
Community Member

This is a gen 1 nest Hello Wired Doorbell. I have the nest app. I get stuck on the setup page where it says to select the serial number. It never shows any serial number. I have tried manually resetting the doorbell and uninstalling and reinstalling the Nest app. It doesn't help. What should I try to get it to connect?

5 REPLIES 5

MplsCustomer
Bronze
Bronze

@ScarlettJ 

This can happen if you are using the wrong app to install your Google Nest camera or doorbell.

If you have a 1st gen Google Nest Hello Doorbell, which hasn't been sold for a couple of years, are you trying to reinstall it in the Google Nest app? If so, did you first do a factory reset (https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/9252162) AND remove it from the Google Nest app?

Do you by any chance have a 2nd gen Google Nest Doorbell (which only gets installed in the Google Home app) that you are trying to install in the Google Nest app?

Yes I have a 1st gen Google Nest Hello Doorbell that I bought from Home Depot in April 2021. I am trying to use the Nest app to set it up. I removed it from the Nest app and factory reset it with the physical button.

I do not have the 2nd Gen doorbell.

@ScarlettJ 

Has your Google Nest Hello Doorbell been unused since you bought it in April 2021?

I'm asking because the Nest Hello has a small internal battery whose primary purpose is to provide power for the doorbell's camera during the instant when the doorbell button is pressed and power is diverted to ring the internal doorbell chime. However, I THINK that battery is also used to provide power to the doorbell during initial setup. If your doorbell has not been connected to power for almost 3 years, maybe that internal battery is drained.

I can't remember whether the Nest Hello comes with a USB-C cable, but you could try connecting it to a USB charger for awhile, or connecting it to your doorbell wires for a couple of days, to see if this charges the battery, and then try to install it.

When you did the factory reset, did your doorbell chime and its light ring start spinning blue, and flash yellow, and them chime and the light ring start pulsing blue, as described in the factory reset instructions (NOT the "restart" instructions)? (https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/9252162). If you didn't get any lights, maybe that's an indication the internal battery is drained.

I'm guessing on some of this; there's not much documentation on it.

By the way, there is also a known defect that causes the internal battery on the Nest Hello to fail after a year or two. It's failed on two of our three Nest Hellos. The chief symptom is that the doorbell goes offline for a minute whenever the doorbell button is pressed. The workaround is to turn off the "Indoor chime" option so the doorbell no longer tries to ring the indoor doorbell chime, and rely instead on the "Visitor announcements" option (https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/7672451). I don't know whether this internal battery could fail if a doorbell is simply not used for 3 years.

When it was set up originally in 2021 the video worked for a while then the camera went offline, but the doorbell chime inside and through the nest Hello worked still. Finally, I recently got my transformer upgraded as I think it was not receiving enough power. So I'm trying to reconnect it to see if it will work now. The doorbell sound inside and outside still works and it lights up.

When I reset it, yes it chimed and its light ring started spinning blue, and flashed yellow, and then chimed and the light ring started pulsing blue.

There is a USB on the back but I think it is micro USB, not type C. I could try to connect a charger and see if it does anything after some time.

@ScarlettJ 

Well, if it's been connected to your transformer all this time (although offline), and you got lights and a chime during the reset, then it's probably not a dead battery. Beyond that, I don't know. 

Maybe you should try contacting Support:

1. Go to https://support.google.com/googlenest/gethelp.
2. Select a category/product family, and type in a brief description of the issue, then click "Next".
3. Click "Other", then click "Next step".
4. Under "Resources", just click "Next step". (Clicking one of the listed links will bring up a Help page page.)
5. Under "Contact options", choose to get a phone call or chat with the team, depending on availability in your country.