cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Downloading 24/7 video footage - Google Nest Cam Battery Powered New Model

bramsaym
Community Member

Hello, I need to download whole days worth of video footage from my camera to manually scrub and mark it for evaluation purposes. 

I found this Link that says you can download 24/7 video footage directly from the Nest web app, however newer models like mine cannot be setup in the Nest app, only google home (Link).

In this case, how can I download 24/7 video footage rather than selected clips?

Thanks in advance!

5 REPLIES 5

EmptyNester
Gold Product Expert
Gold Product Expert

Hello,  I'm an end user like you.  I think I have a possible solution for  you.   Yes, sadly this is a limitation for the new gen 2 cameras.  As you have discovered the new cams only work with Home.Google.Com on your computer and there is not such export feature there like there is on the old website home.nest.com for the gen 1 cameras.   If this is something  you need to do very often then your best bet is to purchase a used GEN 1 Nest camera from eBay and solve the problem that way.  It works great. 

The next way to go about this given what you have is that if you are running the newest version of the GOOGLE HOME app and  you have activated 'preview' mode then you can save clips in 5-minute increments to your phones photo album.  But for you that probably isn't practical since you need 24 hours worth.

OK,,, so here is what might actually work for you.  There is a very little known feature from google that you can access and have the system create download files for everything google has on you. (you will be surprised what is there).   Go to  takeout.google.com and you will see a very long list of items available.  Be sure to UN-CHECK everything in the list except NEST.  Then do the export.  Because it will generate rather large files (gigabytes of video)  Google will have to crunch on it for a number of hours.  Return to that website later a you will be able to down the file.  Try it first with something that is only about 5 minutes long until you see how it works.

Let me know how it goes.

Thank you for the response!

I requested the data right after your reply. On the export it mentions it could take a few hours to a few days, but I will respond again once I receive it (requested 1 days worth of video) to get an idea on what to expect for the timeline.

EmptyNester
Gold Product Expert
Gold Product Expert

@bramsaym , Great.  I'm looking forward to seeing how it works for you.  When I tried it a few months ago it defiantly took a full day for Google to generate the video.  But it worked great.     By the way this is a super back door way into solving this issue that is not well known.  So hopefully this helps other people.

Meant to reply earlier, but thank you for the recommendation! Google Takeout worked well. It failed the first few exports, but I found you need to select export to Google Drive, otherwise I think the file size is too large for any of the other export options. 

The first times the export failed it took a day to receive the failure email. Once selecting export to drive and a successful export however, it only took about 2 hours from request time to go through

EmptyNester
Gold Product Expert
Gold Product Expert

That is great news.   I didn't remember that detail because I think I have only used it once or twice it was last year.  

Cheers for now