cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Google Nest 2nd Gen wired doorbell install

Brian_Y
Community Member

I have a Netgear RBR750 mesh router with one satellite. I am trying to install a Google Nest 2nd Gen "wired" doorbell. The Google Home App does not find the device. When I scan the QR code, it brings me to the Nest Home App to install. The Nest Apps then tell me to use the Google Home App. I then enter the the six-character code and it tries to install a Google Nest 2nd Gen "battery" doorbell and fails. I have tried to install two different Google Nest 2nd Gen "wired" doorbells with the same result. Is my router blocking the device?

1 Recommended Answer

Brian_Y
Community Member

Success! Once I had the updated version of the Google Home App. It was easy. So, the lesson is that if the product is not found in the App. Check for updates.

Thanks.

View Recommended Answer in original post

8 REPLIES 8

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

What colour is the LED on the doorbell? The status light should pulse blue when the doorbell is ready to setup. If the Home app doesn't find your doorbell, it should prompt you to select a device. Are you selecting "Nest Doorbell (wired, 2nd gen)" as the device? It sounds as though you might be picking a device that must be setup in the Nest app, hence the redirection.

Brian_Y
Community Member

Hello,

When it's connected, the light does not pulse blue. It's a solid blue. When I search for device in the Google Home app, it does not find it. I then scan the QR code behind the device and the only device that is listed is the Google Nest 2nd Gen "battery" doorbell. When I choose that one, it fails. When I enter the 6-character code below the QR code, the same thing happens.

Question: Does a solid blue light signify that a connection to a network has already been established?

Thanks for your time,

Brian_Y
Community Member

Hello Again,

Also, is it possible that the device might connect to another Wi-Fi  network? I have two separate Wi-Fi routers my my house.

Thanks

Brian_Y
Community Member

Hello,

Nevermind, that was a silly suggestion. The doorbell just doesn't show up when searching for a device.

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

I'm not sure solid blue is possible. Could it instead be one of the statuses listed here?

Nest camera and doorbell lights and sounds - Google Nest Help

You select the Wi-Fi network during setup, but it sounds like you're not even getting that far.

Perhaps try resetting the doorbell and retrying setup:

Restart or factory reset Nest camera or doorbell - Google Nest Help

Before you retry setup, refer to the manual or documentation that came with your Wi-Fi router or consult the manufacturer’s support website to check the following settings on your router are set correctly.

Enable

• Universal Plug and Play (UPnP)
  • Multicast
  • Internet Group Management Protocol (IGMP)

Disable:

• AP/client isolation
  • Virtual private networks (VPNs) 
  • Proxy servers
  • Internet Group Management Protocol (IGMP) Proxy
  • MAC Address Filtering

Brian_Y
Community Member

I believe I have found the issue. I have an older version of the Google Home app. The reason that the 2nd Gen Wired Doorbell was not found is because the device is not listed in the older app. 😳

I will try it again tomorrow but I think it will work.

You can close this conversation. Thanks,

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Glad you were able to track down the cause. Let us know how it goes!

Brian_Y
Community Member

Success! Once I had the updated version of the Google Home App. It was easy. So, the lesson is that if the product is not found in the App. Check for updates.

Thanks.