cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Let's Discuss: Support for Nest Cam Indoor (1st gen) in the Google Home App

GoogleNestTeam
Community Manager (Admin)
Community Manager (Admin)

We recently shared more about expanded support for the first generation Nest Cam Indoor in the Public Preview of the Google Home app. You can read more in our community blog: Support for Nest Cam Indoor (1st gen) in the Google Home App. Have any questions not covered in the FAQ? Let us know in the comments!

42 REPLIES 42

TomB3
Community Member

I have actually decided to go another direction when I upgrade my cameras next after this, I don’t need to strain my eyes to access every single device in my house if I just want to see my cameras. I feel deceived and cheated and discouraged  by this change. I don’t trust that google won’t upend again, I’ve gone from a happy customer to a disappointed one, I’m out. 

Personally, I also prefer to see my cameras and my thermostats, separate from each other and other devices.  I understand they all benefit from knowledge of my home and away status and I may wish to link events and status from one device type to another, but that doesn’t mean I want it all jammed into a single app and user interface.  Alarms, cameras, thermostats, lighting, music, garage doors, shades, smart plugs & switches, etc… can theoretically all be lumped into a massive “My IoT Life” app, but I haven’t seen any benefit from having all of my eggs in that one basket and there are a few detriments.  I much prefer to have multiple tech providers with independent platforms, so I have some redundancy in some cases….like cameras from multiple vendors on different systems.

C22
Community Member

Let's get to the real questions.  

1. Will "old" nest cameras ever be FULLY supported in the Home app?  Meaning, scrubbing live continuous video, saving clips, time lapse support, zone creation and management, etc.. (see the giant list of unsupported features below if you have questions)

2. If your grand plan is to sunset the Nest app, when should we expect to see the GIGANTIC list of missing features enumerated above to appear 1:1 in the Home app and website?

3. Since the Nest app and website are the ONLY fully functional places to operate "nest" cameras, will the newer "Nest" cameras ever been supported in the current Nest app?

Let me be clear.  A camera based security system without the ability to scrub previous footage and save clips is COMPLETELY USELESS.  Prioritize those features, NOW.

As for other features. Here is a semi-comprehensive list of ALL the KEY NEST features that the Home app & Home website are missing.  Time to start updating us on the progress on ALL of these items.

NEST    | G HOME  |              [ LEGEND ] [SUPPORTED ] [  N/A ] [  NOT SUPPORTED ]
APP|WEB | APP|WEB | FEATURE [ 🤡 NEW "NEST" CAMERAS ONLY AND NOT AT 100% OF REQUIRED ]
+--------+---------+-------------------------------------------------------------------
| | | 🤡| | Scrubbing continuous 24/7 video
| | | | | - Scrubbable timeline in landscape & portrait
| | | | | - With color coded zone based clip events
| | | | | - With HR/MIN/SEC increments
| | | | | - With Custom Clip Creation
| | | | | - With Custom timelapse clip creation
| | | | | - Variable length timelapse clip creation
| | | | | - Event view vs continuous 24/7 toggle
| | | | | - Event view filter
| | | | | - Rewind and Fastforward 1 5 sec buttons
| | | | | - Pause button
| | | | | - Jump to live view button
| | | | | Live view
| | | | | Popout live view
| | | | | Zoom locking w/higher res video
| | | | | Volume slider
| | | | | Volume Mute 
| | | | | Fullscreen mode
| | | 🤡| | Save Clip / Event to manager
| | | 🤡| | Save Clip / Event to camera roll or computer
| | | | | - Manage Clips
| | | | | - Share Clip (URL)
| | | | | - Share clip (Social: FB, YouTube, Twitter, etc.)
| | | | | - Rename Clip
| | | | | Video history calendar
| | | | | Zone creation and management
| | | | | Camera talking toggle
| | | | | Doorbell quick responses
| | | | | Camera config: on/off
| | | | | Camera config: notification settings
| | | | | Camera config: Loud noises on/off
| | | | | Camera config: Zone activity type management
| | | | | Camera config: Out of zone activity management
| | | | | Camera config: Disable video recording
| | | | | Doorbell config: Chime on/off