cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Live Video Unavailable Fix

MMc
Community Member

Setting up brand new Nest Cam (battery) I was getting the same problem as others have reported...

@matt3 @fredraymer @Fridge197 @Jkafle @Cwil @darding12 @noelwtrw 

Which is getting recorded events on my cameras in the home app, but when I click the "Live" button, I get "Live video unavailable".

After setting up via my device, my partners phone who is on the same home showed the same fault.

After much frustration and multiple hard resets, and setting tweaks, all to absolutely no success I tried a hard reset and then setting up the camera using my partners phone who is on the same home. Magic! it worked! Then, as in the same home it showed on my device too as working fine.

I can only conclude perhaps they had some security setting that may have been preventing it working for a live camera and setting up forced that setting to reset/fix/granted.

If others have the same issue and have multiple users on the same home I'd be interested if this works. Or perhaps alternatively if removing others from the home and setting up achieves success.

4 REPLIES 4

matt3
Community Member

Hi thank you for answering but that is not a fix.  I have a Google phone so if that doesn't work with Google cameras what does that say about their products and the whole google ecosystem.  It's obvious they are just bad cameras.  I have the issue ongoing and will replace with a different brand.  I guess there is no need for me to continue adding more devices to the Google ecosystem if they don't work well together, and the support isn't there.  It's a shame, I really wanted to a use Google but they just do t seem to have the love of the custoner at their core.  Too big I guess.

MMc
Community Member

Agree it's wrong and frustrating. I have a Pixel 6 and Gmail account so see no reason it shouldn't all simply work. It should at least tell you a constructive reason why it is "unavailable" and how to remedy.

If you have other people in your home I do think it's worth checking whether temporarily removing them from your home invited users, or setting up the camera via their device/user fixes the problem. As above I speculate something like a "do not permit video whilst at home" security setting is tucked away somewhere in their account settings which is to blame for the unavailability.

I guess if a shared home user has a setting that doesn't permit the live camera on whilst they are at home that is understandable, and so either have to accept that's how it works, or change setting, or even be removed from the home so it can be enabled.. But ofc it's more likely it's an accidental setting they've set or never enabled, and Google should report what the issue is and how to fix it in the app... instead of just reporting an unhelpful "unavailable".

matt3
Community Member

It's not that.  Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't with the same phones in the house with no changes to settings.

1rowing1
Community Member

My camera and video playback were working just fine up until a few weeks ago. I followed all the advice I could find - including numerous reset and re-adding. Did not help. Never had this issue with all my Nest cameras. Its just this Nest doorbell (battery) that has this issue. Very frustrated. Video still unavailable message at this time