cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Nest Doorbell Gen 2 No Video

isaacfralish7
Community Member

So I installed my nest doorbell wired (gen 2) about a month ago. I set it up on a 2.4GHz network via TMobile wireless internet and had no issues. Flash forward to today and I wanted to switch to a different network (still 2.4GHz) powered by an older Netgear R6300 to isolate my smart home devices. I can connect to the Netgear just fine, but now I cannot get live video feed from the doorbell.

It's showing symptoms similar to when I tried to run the doorbell on a 5G internet connection, but this Netgear network is confirmed 2.4GHz. Has anyone experienced something similar? I could put this back on my TMobile internet but I really wanted to isolate my smart home devices...

4 REPLIES 4

MplsCustomer
Bronze
Bronze

@isaacfralish7 

Google Nest does not make it easy to change Wi-Fi settings. That's why their first recommendation is to set the network name (SSID) and password on your new router to the same values used on your old router/modem.  That's not possible in your case because you want to have two routers and two Wi-Fi settings.

So the alternative is to remove your Google Nest devices from the Google Nest app or Google Home app (as appropriate) while you are still on the old Wi-Fi network, do a factory reset on each device, and then reinstall them.

https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/9223711

Note also that, depending on how you're handling two Wi-Fi networks in the same physical home, you could have issues with Google Nest devices.

Thank you for that information. I have unfortunately removed the doorbell from the app and factory reset it multiple times while trying to rectify this, and that has so far failed to work.

You mention that, depending on how I handle the two networks, it could cause issues with my Nest devices. Can you elaborate on that a bit more? Both of my routers get their wifi from the same source, and I just broadcast two different networks out (one from each router). As I mentioned, I could go back down to one router, but I'd like to have a 5Ghz signal available for my devices that can handle it. The TMobile router (also the source of my signal) does not support having both a 2.4G and a 5G network at the same time, hence the split.

@isaacfralish7 

I'm not sure I can name specific issues. I've just seen posts from customers with multiple Wi-Fi networks who have issues. It just seems that things can go wrong with two Wi-Fi networks.

When you have 2 Wi-Fi networks, I think you have to make sure your phone is connected to just one Wi-Fi network--the one where your Google Nest devices are installed--when you are accessing those devices. I think this is problematic when both Wi-Fi networks are ones that you've joined on your phone.

I can't tell what's going on in your situation.  It sounds like you were able to reinstall your doorbell on your second Wi-Fi network but can't get a live Wi-Fi feed.

That's interesting, I had not heard of such issues before but that's good to know. You are correct in what my issue is, everything went fine but now I cannot get a live feed.

Sounds like I'll just have to keep everything on a 2.4G network and remove my second router for now until I find a better solution. Thank you for the replies!