cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nest Doorbell (Wired) Not sounding on my phone (Ding - Dong)

Fozz55
Community Member

My Nest Door Bell (Wired) has lost its ability to notify my phone with a Doorbell Ring Sound) I used to have it but now it's gone. I've read other complaints on here and I have the same problem. Please don't advise me to go into phone settings and notifications because it's nothing to do with this issue. When the doorbell was  pressed It used to sound my phone with a "doorbell noise" within the house and when I was out and about but now it doesn't. This has rendered it useless because I'm missing people at the door to greet through it's microphone. Please advise! 

2 Recommended AnswerS

Ashepherdson
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

I'm wondering if the phone itself is blocking notifications, can you check your android settings to ensure nest/Google home is allowed to show notifications -https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/6111294?hl=en&ref_topic=6111368

View Recommended Answer in original post

@Fozz55 

We have iPhones, but I've seen posts like the one below claiming that, on a Android phone, you can to to Settings | Notifications | App Settings, find the "Google Home" app entry, and scroll down to "Doorbell press notifications".

https://www.googlenestcommunity.com/t5/Cameras-and-Doorbells/Custom-Notification/m-p/87642

I don't know whether this works for Google Nest Hello Doorbells, or whether there's an equivalent entry for the "Nest" app.

View Recommended Answer in original post

16 REPLIES 16

Ashepherdson
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Would suggest logging out of the nest / Google home app on your phone, then logging back in.  That may correct the issue.   Do you get notifications on any other devices ? 

The doorbell sound has also stopped working on my wife's phone. I've rebooted my phone but by logging out you mean signing out of my Google home account?

Ashepherdson
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Yes sign out, then close the app clear cache and sign back in, see if that helps straighten things out 

Unfortunately it didn't work ... So frustrating 😏

Ashepherdson
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

But you can see the video feed in the app ?

Ashepherdson
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

I'm wondering if the phone itself is blocking notifications, can you check your android settings to ensure nest/Google home is allowed to show notifications -https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/6111294?hl=en&ref_topic=6111368

Notifications are allowed ... All the permissions are there. 

I can see the video feed, it notifies me of movement within the zones but doesn't activate the Doorbell Sound within the phone. It sends a notification which is totally useless because you can't here it when your out and about like the original doorbell chime. 

Ashepherdson
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Very strange.  Only other thing I would suggest is rebooting the doorbell, phone, and router (just to be safe).  Once the power cycle is done on all three you can test again, but if not on dnd, and notifications allowed, it should work 

Fozz55
Community Member

Nope ... Still not working 😔

I'm going to give up with this & Nest in general. I've got four Nest cameras and the latest two, one of which is the Nest Hello are just a nightmare ... Time to switch to Ring 😏

@Fozz55 

We have iPhones, but I've seen posts like the one below claiming that, on a Android phone, you can to to Settings | Notifications | App Settings, find the "Google Home" app entry, and scroll down to "Doorbell press notifications".

https://www.googlenestcommunity.com/t5/Cameras-and-Doorbells/Custom-Notification/m-p/87642

I don't know whether this works for Google Nest Hello Doorbells, or whether there's an equivalent entry for the "Nest" app.

Screenshot_20240520-234259~2.png

Thanks ... I've already done this and locked in the sound I want from my phone's sound file and still nothing 😔

@Fozz55 

Maybe another Android customer will chime in. For those of us on iPhones, we can only get the default notification sound (and in iOS 17 we can pick now pick that default sound, but it applies to ALL notifications).

Fozz55
Community Member

Tbh I'm confused with this reply. My phone is Android and having the same notification to events as the the pressed doorbell is ridiculous. The whole point of these Nest Hello door bells is to give you remote access to visitors to the door as well as security. One needs a separate doorbell sound on their phone to instantly recognise a visitor so you can then respond to them remotely. If not I may as well just purchase another outside camera that just gives me event notifications and not forgetting I already had this facility on my phone. It needs to be engineered in the Nest app to compliment different operating systems and versions. 

@Fozz55 

Sorry to cause confusion. I was only pointing out that, on iPhones there is absolutely no possibility of getting a "doorbell ring sound". As an iPhone user, I wish we had the option.

Only on Android phones is there even an option for that, as other posts have pointed out. I don't know why yours isn't working even though you seem to have set it up correctly.

Fozz55
Community Member

No worries 👍

It's ridiculous that iPhones have no separate push doorbell tones. Nest should engineer it into their app ... Definitely giving up with Nest products now. Unfortunately they're not fit for purpose 😏