cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nest Outdoor Cam offline with green Solid LED

miyagi83
Community Member

The Nest Outdoor Camera no longer works correctly. It is displayed as offline in the Home app and the LED is permanently solid green. Nevertheless, it is connected to the Wi-Fi and events are recorded and displayed in the Home app, but these cannot be played back.

I have already tried several troubleshooting steps (the official ones from Google and other tips), but nothing has worked.

The Wi-Fi network has enough range and is very fast (all other dozens of devices work without problems, including a Nest Dorbell), I have reset the camera to factory settings several times, deleted and re-added it in the Home app, tested it in a different Wi-Fi network, etc., but nothing has worked.

The official Google chat could only give me general tips and after half an hour I gave up. What can I do? I can't find any information from Google about the possibility of sending the device in for repair (from germany).

6 REPLIES 6

MplsCustomer
Bronze
Bronze

@miyagi83 

You say you have a Google Nest Outdoor Camera, which is installed in the Google Nest app, so is your camera online in the Google Nest app? Can you play back events in the Google Nest app?

miyagi83
Community Member

The Nest Outdoor Camera is installed in the Home app. Installation is generally provided for this type of camera in the Home app; this is not possible in the Nest app. However, it is displayed there as "not available". Events are recorded but cannot be played back.

I can also see in the router that the camera is connected to it.

@miyagi83 

The (1st gen) "Google Nest Outdoor Camera" cannot be installed in the Google Home app. It can ONLY be installed in the Google Nest app. However, if you have the beta "Public Preview" version of the Google Home app, it can then be "transferred" from the Google Nest app to the beta version of the Google Home app.

The (2nd gen) "Nest Cam (outdoor or indoor, battery)", which we have (plugged in with the optional power cable), can ONLY be installed in the Google Home app.

Which camera do you have? How long have you had it? If you have the battery camera, is it plugged in or running on battery power?

miyagi83
Community Member

Okay, thanks for the explanation. I definitely have the (2nd gen) "Nest Cam (outdoor or indoor, battery) " for about 6 months and I run it with cable.

@miyagi83 

The only other thing I can think of is to check whether you have a weak Wi-Fi signal at your camera's location. You could also try deleting and reinstalling the Google Home app on your phone, in case there's some glitch there.

Can you play back events when selecting your camera on the home.google.com website? (That works for us, but it sometimes the playback halts for no good reason.)

We've had a battery camera--plugged in with the optional power cable--since Sept. 2021 and it's online all the time and we can access events (with occasional glitches).

With all the things you've tried, maybe you should contact Support about a warranty replacement. Google Nest does not offer any repair services, in Germany or anywhere.

1. Go to https://support.google.com/googlenest/gethelp.
2. Select a category/product family, and type in a brief description of the issue, then click "Next".
3. Click "Other", then click "Next step".
4. Under "Resources", just click "Next step". (Clicking one of the listed links will bring up a Help page page.)
5. Under "Contact options", choose to get a phone call or chat with the team, depending on availability in your country.

Thanks for the great help and all the good tips so far.

I have just tried to get access to the camera via the web link. I can view the recorded events here, but I can't see a live stream here either.

I can only conclude that it's either my WiFi or the device is faulty. I will experiment a little with the WiFi and make a complaint if necessary.

Have a nice evening.