cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Switching Nest Cameras to 2.4GHz?

RavenManiac
Community Member

I have a total of (13) Nest Cameras, which consist of (1) Hello, (3) Floodlight Cams, (6) Battery Cams, and (3) Indoor Wired Cams. Most of these are located outside of my house, except the (3) Inddor Cams. I'm having difficulty getting a good connection to some of my exterior cameras, which are currently set to the 5GHz band. As a result, I'm thinking about switching all of my Nest Cams to the 2.4GHz band. Before I do, I have a few questions.

1. What is the maximum speed, in Mbps, that these cameras require?
  2. Is image quality reduced by using the 2.4GHz band?
  3. To set this up, will I have to factory reset each camera?
  4. Is there anything else I should consider?

Thank you in advance for your help.

3 REPLIES 3

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Here's the answers you're looking for:

1. Internet bandwidth and speed requirements for Nest cameras - Google Nest Help
  2. This depends on so many factors. If 2.4 GHz signal strength is good near the camera then no.
  3. No. Assuming you're going to specify the band on your router, you might just need to restart the camera.

Hope this helps!

RavenManiac
Community Member

@David_K , thank you for the info. Out of curiosity, can I expect better Nest Camera performance if I connect them via the 5 GHz band?

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Potentially as the 5 GHz is likely to be less congested than the 2.4 GHz band, but again it depends on so many different factors so your mileage may vary.