cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Two Cameras Going Dark at Sunset

pebceb
Community Member

I have two of my Google Nest outdoor cameras (non-battery) that since I moved them over to Google Home (Preview) are acting funny at sunset. 

Both have night vision turned off and there are lights in the area so they do not need to use night vision.  Since I moved them from the Nest app they will go black at sunset.  If I then go to settings and toggle night vison to on or auto and then back to off they come up as they should.

Has anyone else experienced this and have any ideas how to fix it?

Thanks.

Peter

1 Recommended Answer

EmptyNester
Gold Product Expert
Gold Product Expert

Hello,  so I have easily been able to replicate what Pebceb is reporting. To me this is 100% a bug.    If you turn off Night-vision and the camera goes from the light of day into the dark evening hours then the image becomes  100% black.  If you momentarily turn ON night vision and then turn it back OFF about a minute later the image looks much brighter.   Switch back to the NEST app this problem does not happen at all. 

View Recommended Answer in original post

9 REPLIES 9

EmptyNester
Gold Product Expert
Gold Product Expert

Hello, I'm an end user like you.  This sounds like a bug to me since you can easily fix it by toggling the Nightvision on and off.   I'm going to escalate this so you can chat directly with a google tech and see what they think.  

In the mean time you may want to move the camera back to the Nest App until this gets resolved.

You should be hearing from someone shortly.

If they figure it out please return here and let us know how it went.

pebceb
Community Member

Okay transferred them back.  Was easy to do.  Will see what happens tonight

Thanks!

EmptyNester
Gold Product Expert
Gold Product Expert

Sounds good.  I'm gonna try it as well.  I  transferred one of my Gen 1 outdoor cams to the Google Home and turned off Night vision.  I will look at the image after dark and see how it looks.

Ivan_R
Community Member

Hi pebceb,

Thanks for sharing the info! Sorry about the delay on my end.

Direct Contact Form: For your specific situation, it might be most efficient to use a this contact form.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Regards,

Ivan

pebceb
Community Member

Thanks but I will wait for now. 

I don't really feel like a long conversation on the phone and they are working fine in the Nest app.  I also do not want to try and uninstall, re-uninstall etc., which is usually the first suggestion.   

They have worked fine for years.  I will wait a while and then try transferring one back to the Google Home app.

The strange thing is that others that are the exact same model work fine after being transferred.

Maybe a bug when transferred?

Peter

EmptyNester
Gold Product Expert
Gold Product Expert

Hello,  so I have easily been able to replicate what Pebceb is reporting. To me this is 100% a bug.    If you turn off Night-vision and the camera goes from the light of day into the dark evening hours then the image becomes  100% black.  If you momentarily turn ON night vision and then turn it back OFF about a minute later the image looks much brighter.   Switch back to the NEST app this problem does not happen at all. 

pebceb
Community Member

So another exact camera type went black tonight. Transferring it back to Nest now. 

EmptyNester
Gold Product Expert
Gold Product Expert

Let's hope they fix it but historically they are not ever fast at fixing things like this.   The other thing is they don't ever give details beyond "bug fixes" so even if they fix it we won't know unless we  try it.   For me I'm just as happy to stay in the Nest App for now as Ii don't see any functional benefits to the Google Home app. 

Just had a fourth one, all the same model, do the same thing.  Transferred back to the Nest app.