cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very Slow Doorbell View Rendering

JustinDSheridan
Community Member

I have a nest doorbell connected to a 400MB internet connection but any time someone rings my doorbell it takes 45 seconds to two minutes to render the app’s camera view so I can interact. It’s been this way since the day I got it. Does anyone else have this issue? I’d expect the app to be much faster than this. 

196 REPLIES 196

Slom
Community Member

Nice to see there's still no update or fix on this. The least Google could do is say "hey we're aware it's an issue" rather than gaslighting us all in to thinking we're the problem.

TrevorCobb
Community Member

They did the same thing with the original Google WiFi and nest WiFi products. Released a firmware update that borked speeds and drops connections and don’t release a patch to fix because nest WiFi pro was released. 

Whippeto
Community Member

Google decided a while ago to say "f**k you" buy the newer version we cant be arsed updating the old version. Which is very typical of Google. 

Slom
Community Member

I've got the newer version, Its still useless

Then there is simply no solution! Let's close the thread. We middle class can't challenge a corporate giant like Google! Thank you sunder, CEO GOOGLE 

This doesn’t solve the problem. It’s caused by Google’s infrastructure 

Tokyoj
Community Member

I’m having the same issue. Any luck ?

Dougm51
Community Member

Nothing. I’m hoping one of the group members finds a solution because I don’t hold much hope for Google support

Sardonix
Community Member

That’s wishful thinking. The problem is in Googles infrastructure. There’s nothing we can do about it. 

roshansriram1
Community Member

I am better off, i guess. 30 secs Max for mine to show up in my phone. But couriers don't stand there for 30 secs anyway. So i guess we're in the same boat

Sardonix
Community Member

So, despite any of these issues being addressed by Google, I just received notice that they’re increasing the price of the Aware service from €50 to €60. Smh 

SharkMan
Community Member

It’s a flaw in the design. All this trouble shooting nonsense is just to make you feel like they’re helping you. There’s nothing these techs can do to help.

dg1sek
Community Member

If they would take their customer satisfaction seriously then they would try to redesign their cloud infrastructure, which as some others have previously stated, obvioulsy is where the problem is. Or at least they would deploy some edge compute infrastructure closer to their customers. But google definitely is not a good organisation for doing consumer products (I am also quite disappointed with their customer support on the google home mini which they bricked with a flawed SW upgrade... without any excuse or communication...) 

Sardonix
Community Member

After all these unresolved issues with the doorbell, my thermostat has now also started acting up; not reacting to commands. Begs the question: Can I still trust my Nest smoke alarms?

wj2000
Community Member

there is no way I would trust any google home device at this point. it is a buggy mess.

JWizzz
Community Member

Got rid of my thermostat.  It ran A/C for 27 hours straight without a notification when I was away, simple blown capacitor on the outside unit. But 27 hours evidently wasn't worth a notification.  Then this winter it ran on aux heat for almost 2 days...  again, nothing.  I ripped it off the wall when the Ecobee arrived, I'll never go back.  Just waiting on Ubiquiti's dream router to ship, then I'm putting in their doorbell.  I would NOT trust the smoke alarm.

wj2000
Community Member

2024 and I still have this issue after 2 years. I'm thinking about replacing all my google devices soon, google home is trash.

Rwhybrow82
Community Member

Same issues here 

Sardonix
Community Member

I just ordered a new Arlo doorbell that integrates with Apple HomeKit. 

Dhil
Community Member

Yep just bought a eufy duo doesn't require subscription. Google should be ashamed of themselves.

Tim21
Community Member

I have the same problem, have tried the same fixes and had a similar response from an agent. At one point I was told it was a problem in their software that would be fixed in their software at an unspecified date in the future.

corefracture
Community Member

Same issues here. Various troubleshooting (including all those listed here) and tinkering with no results. Planning to cancel my Nest subscription shortly. Guessing that no official Google employee is reading this or even really cares, but what else can I do but state my disapproval and move on with my money.

stevenash
Community Member

same issue here, there is absolutely no networking issue.

From my experience with smart devices or IoT, there are two main issues:

1. Slow cloud services, meaning that since everything goes through the cloud it takes some time to establish a connection to google services from the doorbell and another time from google services to the nest hub

2. Poor hardware or unperforming software, added both in the same bucket since there is still something that Google can do on the second. The doorbell i don't believe it has a problem, but man the google nest hub is sluggish. I have one first gen and a max. The max works a little bit better, but the first gen hub is very very slow. 

Unless they will address these issues, improving the handshake between doorbell to cloud and from cloud to hub AND releasing a new firmware that makes the hub work more faster, I really don't see how the system would work better.

LarryW
Community Member

Todays Date: March 30th, 2024, and the issue still has not been resolved. and we are talking Hndreds if not THOUSANDS of Nest Doorbell owners. When will google do something?, or is Google abondoning the Cam Business, like they do many other things and leave their customers hanging out to dry, or switch to a competitor.
Delay (15 or more seconds),  when using app to view doorbell, Same when you are trying to see who is at your door and respond. In 99% of the cases the person has left. Wifi , internet Speed is NOT the issue, Router is NOT the issue, Rebooting is NOT the issue. The issue started a few years ago, all of a sudden, the quality of the connectivity went to hell in a handbasket and google most likley put the servers on a slower bandwidth so they could work on other projects, Heres an idea, PUT THINGS BACK the way they were, and make your customers happy.

TrevorCobb
Community Member

So what is the solution? I have a hello doorbell, 9 cameras, two thermostats, three smoke alarms. It takes 2-3 minutes to load video after I click on and nest app notification. 

Slom
Community Member

Interesting development, it seems _slightly_ faster than it used to be, I only have to wait a few second for the chime and a second or two more to actually see who is there. 

Its still not great because I'm usually on the way downstairs before the chime has even gone off after hearing someone knock but its an improvement because i get back after its displaying the video rather than before now.

still not useable as a doorbell, never mind an intercom and leagues behind every competitor as a security device.

djgrazzy
Community Member

I have several nest battery cameras with permanent power adaptors. I have permanent power to my battery doorbell..

One of my best cameras is mounted almost directly above the doorbell facing a different angle but is in an equivalent distance from my wifi AP which is great for troubleshooting comparison (both are not far and my AP shows solid connection from both consistently> 90Mbs @2.4ghz)

When I open the camera view in google home app on my pixel phone all cameras consistently load within 1-2secs but the doorbell consistently takes 10sec or more of fails.

It was not like this when I first purchased and installed several years ago.

This shows the issue is isolated to the doorbell.

It appears the google cloud infrastructure works fine for the other nest cams.

I think google would do themselves well to fix this issue or at least allow enabling local IP access so they can be used with other recording software or devices.

It would also be helpful if they displayed the cameras wifi signal level and connection speed to help isolate issues for people where that is the real issue.

pizza_pablo
Community Member

On top of the Nest Doorbell being slow to show video, mine has one again stopped sending notifications of being rung to my Nest Speakers. Maddening! 

geoffs3310
Community Member

I've got this issue as well it is slow as hell with a brand new wired doorbell and 900mb full fibre about 8ft away from it

pizza_pablo
Community Member

I noticed yesterday that my old wired Nest cameras send the notification instantly when I passed on front of them, but the new style wireless doorbell lags by minutes. On top of that, the doorbell has discontinued sending ring notifications to the Google speakers inside and I can no longer find the setting from which to turn them back on! 

New tech operating at dial up speeds. Go figure... 

djgrazzy
Community Member

Does anyone have access to a Nest Gen wired doorbell for comparison?

dadadotcom
Community Member

I have the same issue as most of the above - just keeping this thread alive in hope of some solution but to be honest looking at just getting something else and moving on

SmileyO
Community Member

Nest wired connection camera here, plus 6 nest smoke/co detectors throughout the house.   I went through the whole thread, tried everything.   The nest smoke/co alarm has worked flawlessly since day one (yeah, I probably just screwed myself typing this).    As for the nest doorbell, same problems as all of you:   

• I get near instant notifications the doorbell has rung
  • I get the "swirly" icon when I try to see live view (no matter if the door bell was run or just seieng outside), only never to see an image and never able to talk through the doorbell.
  • I can see a snap shot view when I open the app, but when I go live, (see above)
  • Adding to all the above, my camera finish on the face of the doorbell is peeling.

The bright side is my friend with the ring camera has constant material to rag on me all day long.

To add, but not to be a negative Nancy, the google reps (based on reviewing this entire thread) seems to be kicking the can down the road.   I can't blame them as I have done the same in my office when someone has a computer problem, I usually wait a few hours before I help them fix it since they always seem to solve the problem on their own.   Unfortunately Google is taking that wait time to a whole nother level.    I am with most where it's time to look at alternative doorbell company/options.    The question to you all, which do you recommend.

Jeff_Lebowski
Community Member

Sold everything from Google, bought Amazon Alexa, I can drop Inn. She listnen to my wife the doorbell now is a eufy that quck respons and also on Alexa.  If I was you guys I would overthink this. 

Donna5
Community Member

Just got this "Google LLC is increasing the price of your subscription ‘Google Home (Nest Aware Plus)’ from €100.00/year to €120.00/year starting on 8 July 2024."

It's an absolute joke them increasing my subscription for a camara and doorbell that doesn't work as advertised. I've NEVER been able to talk to the a person at the door as the cameras take forever to load but I can't afford to buy a different camera and doorbell and pay to have them installed so I'm stuffed. So unfair of Google!

Stump
Community Member

Same issue here. I have a 1 gig internet connection and Google WiFi Pro mesh system. (Unrelated but note:  still reports wrong internet speed. Usually 350 - 500. Mbps where Speedtest app consistently shows 950 + mbps speeds) 

My mesh router is in the foyer right inside from the Nest doorbell.  Still takes forever to load! Haven’t been able to answer the door using the system for a long time. Google charges a lot of money for these devices. They should come up with a fix! 

Dougm51
Community Member

Had enough of Google Nest doorbell 

Ripped it out and replaced with Ecobee 

Very pleased with the result

Connection on a button press is about 10sec

Forget Google and get something else