cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Viewing my Nest Cameras from PC using browser now only shows spinning blue circle.

E-from-O-Town
Community Member

Viewing my Nest Cameras from PC using browser now only shows spinning blue circle.   

This recently broke.  I have seen other threads on this issue.  Please, if you are "Google subject matter expert" or "forum support pro", please do not reply with the canned Google responses to this question.  I can read those for myself.   And yes, I have rebooted the cams, tried different PCs and browsers, etc. etc..   Yes, they work on my Pixel.

What I want to know is this - is Google is going to fix this?  This is clearly something Google broke.  When is it going to get fixed?  Not happy about paying a subscription fee for a broken service.

1 Recommended Answer

EmptyNester
Gold Product Expert
Gold Product Expert

Hello,  I'm an end user as well.  I'm in California and it is working fine for me for both home.nest.com (gen 1 cams only) and home.google.com gen1 and gen2 cams but live images only.  

The only thing I can think of is try to clear browser cache and cookies?

The other thing you can try is to open an official support ticket and answer the questions and you will be able to speak with an actual Google Nest Tech person.  Here is the link....

https://support.google.com/googlenest/gethelp

View Recommended Answer in original post

6 REPLIES 6

EmptyNester
Gold Product Expert
Gold Product Expert

Hello,  I'm an end user as well.  I'm in California and it is working fine for me for both home.nest.com (gen 1 cams only) and home.google.com gen1 and gen2 cams but live images only.  

The only thing I can think of is try to clear browser cache and cookies?

The other thing you can try is to open an official support ticket and answer the questions and you will be able to speak with an actual Google Nest Tech person.  Here is the link....

https://support.google.com/googlenest/gethelp

Thanks for the reply,

home.google.com sometimes works, but only for a few seconds, and then only after repeatedly hitting "retry".

home.nest.com only gives spinning blue circles.

It worked flawlessly for several   years.  Google changed "something", this is obvious, things don't just stop working.  I'm guessing introducing engineered limitations to reduce customer technical debt. Too many other folks reporting the same issue with their nest cams recently.

Ummmmm,  did you convert you old "nest" account to the newer "google" account?   I wonder if this could be the problem.   Keep in mind if you convert to the new google account then you MUST use a GMAIL email address only.   

Probably time to open a support ticket in the link I included (above) so you can talk to a real google tech person.   On this website you will only hear from other users. 

Yep, converted some time ago.  Again, the issue just started happening recently with no changes to my infrastructure. Tracking plenty of others reporting the same issue.  Canned responses from Google (power cycle, hard reset devices, change browser, convert account, etc.), then threads "locked" after a period of time with no resolution.  Disconcerting pattern there.  One customer offer this best guess - the service is very popular, too popular.  Servers can't handle the streaming load. Lag and timeouts - obvious by spinning blue trying-to-connect symbol.  Then eventually the "retry" error pops.  Well at least it works on my Pixel when on local wifi, for the time being. 🙄

I suspect is home.google.com is not to the same design specs as home.nest.com (bandwidth, server capacity, IO, processing power, etc.)  Now that google is depreciating nest.com, they need to play serious catch-up with home.google.com. Hence the newer disclaimers around "don't rely upon this service for anything important... yada yada yada"

By any change do you have the Google Nest Routers?   I found this from back in 2022....

6/25/22 For Goggle routers not allowing live video do this:

Go to Google home app,

Wifi

Settings

Preferred activities

Uncheck both activities.