cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Wired camera getting low battery notifications.

Sis818
Community Member

We have a wired floodlight camera (2nd generation). This morning we were notified that we only have 6 days of battery left!  Help!  This makes no sense to us. (There was not a category to select that matches our issue.)

Julie

9 REPLIES 9

MplsCustomer
Bronze
Bronze

@Sis818 

Is power always turned on for your floodlight camera? (If it's on a switched circuit, the switch should always be turned on.) If you go to your camera in the Google Home app and go to Settings | Battery, it should say "Plugged in" with an infinity symbol.

The floodlight camera fixture uses the same battery camera that we have had since Sept. 2021--plugged in with the optional power cable. We've never gotten a low battery warning.

We have the same issue. Our floodlight is hardwired, but we received low battery alerts all night long. It's becoming annoying because we have skunks and dogs ... not easy to fend at night without the light 

BillClay
Community Member

Same issue after a year of working fine.  We had a bit of a cold snap in my area but for some reason it only affected one out of three wired cameras.  Drained completely after struggling with a red picture tint in the day and almost useless infrared at night.  Fully wired, tried every uninstall/reinstall from Google home app and factory reset that so many others have experienced recently.  Gonna try to add a new camera to see if that works first before I unwire/rewire the physical unit itself.

BillClay
Community Member

BTW:  if Brad pops up offering help for your frustrating issue, it's a bot.  As is his superior it gets forwarded to.  People have found a real customer service person over the phone  somehow, but I haven't got that far yet.

canosoup
Community Member

I have one of my Google nest cameras go bad 30 days after the warranty and Google won’t replace it! When this was nest, they would replace any broken camera because they valued their customer subscription.
WYZE cameras are ¼ the price with better quality . one you can rotate 360°, the subscription is way cheaper. They also have a responsive support troubleshooting section.

@canosoup 

It's unfortunate that Google Nest's "Nest Aware" subscriptions do NOT include extended warranty coverage the way that Ring's "Ring Protect" subscriptions do.  (I say that as a Google Nest customer.)

punkinhead
Community Member

Any luck on this issue? Is there a way to get a REAL person to assist?

I had 2 security cameras with floodlights installed on 10/31/2023.  Around Christmas I started getting notifications that the temperature was affecting battery life.  Then I started getting low battery notifications.  Now, when I look at the settings on that camera it shows I only have 6 days of battery life left! It's hard wired! The other camera that is on our back porch and exposed to the same weather is not having any issues.  When I look at the settings for that one it says "plugged in" and there's an infinity circle.

@punkinhead 

If both camera were installed exactly the same, and both have continuous electrical power (that is, they are not on a switched circuit that is turned off), this should NOT be happening. (During the install process, there is a step where you specify that it's a floodlight camera.)

We've had a battery camera (it's the same camera that's used in the floodlight fixture) for over two years, plugged in with the optional power cable, and it's always online, and the battery setting always says "Plugged in" with an infinity symbol.

I've seen a few other posts like yours from floodlight camera customers. Maybe there's some defect and you should consider contacting Support, You have to do this to contact Support:

1. Go to https://support.google.com/googlenest/gethelp.
2. Select a category/product family, and type in a brief description of the issue, then click "Next".
3. Click "Other", then click "Next step".
4. Under "Resources", just click "Next step". (Clicking one of the listed links will bring up a Help page page.)
5. Under "Contact options", choose to get a phone call or chat with the team, depending on availability in your country.

The temperature notification was something Google Nest added about a year ago. It doesn't even make sense for the battery cameras that are plugged in or hard-wired in the floodlight fixture, because they're running on household current and not on the battery. But Google Nest seems to have ignored the many complaints about this notification.

THANK YOU!! Especially for the info on how to actually contact Google to get assistance. 

I agree, there are a fair amount of posts in here regarding hard wired cameras that are reporting low battery.