cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"free" dropcam replacement

roholladay
Community Member

I received an email on 4/2/2024 about Drop cam no longer being supported.  yes, I'd received many and was prepared.  So prepared that we went out and purchased a replacement camera without seeing the offer "We’re offering you a Nest Cam (indoor, wired) on us to help replace your Dropcam.1"  

We decided we'd just add another camera to our system and tried to apply for the "free" camera only to find at checkout we could just receive a $30 discount.  Hmmm..What does that mean?  Nowhere on there did it ask for a serial number either.  So I called support and was told I would need the serial number of the old camera in order to submit for a "free" replacement.  Well it's long gone in the trash.  We had that camera and system for years.  Where are your records?  I am so disappointed and ready to toss out this whole system because don't even get me started on how difficult it is to set up since Dropcam was bought out by Google and a platform built on top of that.  To note - offer expires on 5/7/2024 and today is 4/28/2024.  

1 Recommended Answer

BoonieCamera
Community Member

When I did the transition, I had to first 'migrate' my Nest Account to a Google account.   Then use the Google Account to go the purchase page.  Then it had a record of my DropCam's and only then offered me the "free" option on the checkout page.  

If you haven't migrated your Nest account to a Google account, you might try that first before giving up.

Note that the Gen 2 Nest Cams that Google is sending out require significantly more bandwidth in the uplink than that required by the DropCams and also that the Gen 2 Cams can only be managed by the Google Home app.  The Nest App only works for Gen 1  HW.

View Recommended Answer in original post

2 REPLIES 2

BoonieCamera
Community Member

When I did the transition, I had to first 'migrate' my Nest Account to a Google account.   Then use the Google Account to go the purchase page.  Then it had a record of my DropCam's and only then offered me the "free" option on the checkout page.  

If you haven't migrated your Nest account to a Google account, you might try that first before giving up.

Note that the Gen 2 Nest Cams that Google is sending out require significantly more bandwidth in the uplink than that required by the DropCams and also that the Gen 2 Cams can only be managed by the Google Home app.  The Nest App only works for Gen 1  HW.

roholladay
Community Member

Thank you so much...just what I needed to get it done!