cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Bad video quality casting youtube app on andriod to chromecast on TV

Anomaly
Community Member

The video quality is bad and constantly changing when i cast YouTube from the app on my phone to Chromecast plugged into my tv. This problem only happens with the content, not the adverts. The content quality is like looking through victorian era glass, on a foggy day. But the Ads are so crisp and clear, it hurts my eyes after trying to make out whats happening in the content im trying to watch.

What up with that? So i can be shown a clear picture but somehow im not? Really aggravating.

I have the youtube app set to highest quality on wifi and mobile data. Chrome cast doesn't allow me to do the same just weather i want 50hz or 60hz. My wifi connection is strong and around ############ down 40 up. The TV is fully capable of 1080p HD at 60hz and settings are locked to 60hz but doesnt effect quality when i swap between different resolutions. 

51 REPLIES 51

randompixel
Community Member

Same issue here. It is infuriating. If you queue up a few videos usually the first one is fine but then every subsequent one is 480p. I've "Sent Feedback" many times from the Google Home app.

The workaround posted above sometimes fixes it but is really annoying to do every video. 

The simple answer here would be to re-enable the ability to select the Chromecast stream quality.

It's been happening for too long to remember but currently happening on:

System firmware version: 275994

Cast firmware: 1.56.275994

Language: en-GB

D0056
Community Member

Premium user here. Been using the hack of stopping cast, selecting best quality, then casting again, for ages. Google doesn't care, a fix won't come.

// Sweden 1/1 gigabit fiber connection 

Regueiras
Community Member

Maybe we should downgrade the evaluation of every google related app on PlayStore to one star untill the issue is resolved. It was a feature once, reinstating it shouldn't be this hard. Let's get heard people.

ericknyoto
Community Member

I subscribed premium, and the quality is bad. The only option is don't use chromecast, but use like android TV box like from xiaomi similar. 

MariaZingmark
Community Member

So is it only chromecast that have this issue? If I get another kind of casting device it will work?

From my experience, yes. 

MariaZingmark
Community Member

Just want to say that I got a chromecast gen4 with google TV and finally the quality is good all the time!

Arachnis
Community Member

Hi everyone,  I seem to have found a solution that works for youtube at least. When you're casting, press the little connect/disconnect button and it will show you a little remote option that when selected, you can use to manually scroll on the TV to the quality section of the video and it will allow you to manually select whatever quality you prefer. Hope it helps!

This does seem to work! Thank you! 

The on-phone remote is not doing anything for me, like nothing happens when I press a button.

HOWEVER! This made me try the normal remote that does come with the chromecast and with this nifty thing I could indeed navigate to the settings cog and oh my lord, I could select quality up to HD!!!!!

And it looks stunning. I can swear that didn't work before. I am currently using youtube premium, I wouldn't be surprised if this is a feature you get.

prosper5250
Community Member

The highest resolution i can choose is still 720p. I'm starting to wonder which version of Chromecast was sold to me. How to check this?

AB15
Community Member

Trying to watch tutorials on my 36" TV, Chromecast defaults to 480p with no way to change quality settings from my phone. Can't even make out the icons on the screen. Horrible!