cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Change output frequency for Chromecast

glevy
Community Member

Hi there,

I am trying to use my Chromecast (4th gen with Google TV) to cast photos onto an old monitor. When I plug the Chromecast in via a female-female HDMI adaptor and an HDMI-VGA cable (this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adapter-Digital-Converter-Projector-Raspberry/dp/B094ZWPJFP/ref=cm_cr_arp_d...), the monitor displays an error message saying "the current input timing is not supported by the monitor display", and asking for the input timing to be changed to 1280x1024@60Hz or similar. 

I have tried to go into the Google Home app to dig around the settings for my device, but the cog for settings doesn't appear - just the three dots for ambient settings, help, and feedback. It is similar to this thread: https://www.googlenestcommunity.com/t5/Chromecast/Can-t-access-Chromecast-settings-in-home-app/m-p/1...

I was using a VPN, but turning off the VPN does not make the cog appear. 

Essentially, I need help accessing the settings and/or fixing the output timing such that it will be compatible with my monitor.

Thanks! 

P.S. I should mention that the Chromecast works fine on another monitor (although with a direct HDMI input).

1 Recommended Answer

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Chromecast doesn't have any settings to adjust the output resolution. You can change the refresh rate from 50 to 60 Hz (or vice versa) but the problem here is going to be the adapter, unfortunately.

Example:
Resolution/display frequency : Chromecast

View Recommended Answer in original post

4 REPLIES 4

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Chromecast doesn't have any settings to adjust the output resolution. You can change the refresh rate from 50 to 60 Hz (or vice versa) but the problem here is going to be the adapter, unfortunately.

Example:
Resolution/display frequency : Chromecast

glevy
Community Member

Hm yes I suspected the adaptor might be causing the issue. Do you think there is going to be any adaptor that will fix the problem or will I have to opt for a monitor with an HDMI port?

Thanks!

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

One of the users in that post I linked to did seem to find a compatible adapter but sounds like it took a bit of trial and error, your mileage is going to vary with adapters. It would be much easier to get a monitor with a HDMI port if I'm being honest.

glevy
Community Member

Okay sounds right. Thank you for the help!