cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Chromecast rebooting daily

Zordrack
Community Member

Please read fully before replying.
What would be able to cause a Chromecast to reboot daily ?
It does not happen at the same time every day but it does happen daily.

And here's where it get's weird.
This is my master bedroom Chromecast and I have replaced the device itself.
New Chromecast rebooted exactly the same way as the old one.
It does not matter if it's casting or it's just on.
It throws up a message saying that it will reboot soon and then it reboots after about 10 seconds.
I am using the original power supply and cable."
I have several (5) Chromecasts in my home and this is the only one exhibiting this behavior.
This has been going on for roughly half a year.

65 REPLIES 65

netmeg
Community Member

I'm having this issue too. I have three Chromecasts, and two of them reboot in the middle of the night; usually between 3 and 4AM. I've upgraded the router, and swapped out the power supplies, TVs, locations, you name it. It's past time for someone knowledgeable to take a serious look at this.

FrustratedFinc
Community Member

Same here, been doing it on and off for months for both my ultra and regular CC 😮💨 doesn't matter what I'm streaming (crunchy, YouTube, Netflix, etc..) it's always within 1h of 3pm. If it's a setting to restart it at a certain time every day at least let people choose when! 😭

Bellanapule
Community Member

Same issue, reboot between 3PM and 4PM... I have tried all solution mentioned here and no One have fix the problem.

asfaltsflickan
Community Member

I’m in this **bleep**ty club too. Mine has been doing it for months and I’m getting fed up. Never again a Google product. How hard can this be to “troubleshoot”, it’s obviously deliberate since it happens at the same time every day. Just find the **bleep** rows of code and delete them, push the update, done. 

Spinny
Community Member

I swapped the living room with our newer bedroom chromecast yesterday.  Newer firmware version.....I'll keep you posted.

chrisw
Community Member

Likewise, another CC Ultra reboot club member here. Reconnected it to WiFi after a while not associated with any network or actively used and since then all this week it's rebooted around 3am. Firmware 281627, cast version 1.56.281627. 

suesaner56
Community Member

yes i have one of 4 chromecast devices that just restarts twice a day. it generally happens in the middle of a movie i am watching, and this is annoying. i have 3 others that never do this. what gives? it shows the website for help with a question mark....

Radiomanpj
Community Member

I also have an older CC that reboots daily at about 3am. Firmware 291998 cast 1.56.291998.

Would an ip lease expiring after 24hrs cause this problem? 

growler
Community Member

Been happening to me for months now. Used to have a slideshow rigged up that could go for weeks without issue, now I have to babysit it once a day like clockwork. Thought the device might have gone bad, but the new one I ordered has the exact same issues. 

Zordrack
Community Member

So for everybody that have posted here.

Try lowering your wireless channel width to 20Mhz.
I know that this is not an acceptable "fix", and it's very odd that this seems to be location dependent rather than device dependent, but it seems to have (mostly) resolved my original issue for now.

And yeah. it was a complete shot in the dark of the "it can't hurt and I can always change it back" variety.

So far it's been pretty solid with maybe a handful of reboots over the last couple of weeks.
I would love to hear what everybody else's experience would be with that "fix".

i have no idea about firmware or router settings as relates to CC - BUT i did swap the rebooter with another from my office tv. i did not switch the power supply lines as one is buried behind heavy furniture. when i rebooted the power in the bedroom, it operates the same but the system finds every spectrum tv receiver in my neighborhood as well as my prenamed CC locations after hitting the cast icon. i dont have any idea why that happens but it still signed itself off and went to the photo slide show just like before. i have a feeling these CC dongles are haunted.....

SHbehm
Community Member

I don't use wireless.  Im hardwired ethernet.  started rebooting around 6:00 every day several months ago.

rcicotte
Community Member

I'm having the same issue.  I did not notice it at first because I'm usually not in my bedroom at 3pm but once I noticed it I started logging it.  It's been happening for at least 3 months.

suesaner56
Community Member

this cc has now decided it will not cast from my tv app. it will cast from tcm or hbo max but not spectrum. i have no idea what is wrong with this. all of the other cc i have work fine. this really pisses me off....

efgC137
Community Member

Just adding my voice to the cacophony. Reboots once a day killing my DakBoard. Brand new Chromecast for this purpose from Amazon that arrived last week.

i have gotten used to this rebooting nonsense. its still cheaper than a cable reciever box and gets me the same basic result; i just dont get surprised when it happens. i know for sure this glitch will defo keep me from exploring google phones or etc. i dont need a big ticket item to dump on me without the designers least idea as to why its going on.....

tictoc
Community Member

I've had the exact same problem for a couple of years now. It usually restarts around 15.00 but sometimes it's later in the day. 

Is this really impossible to solve?

suesaner56
Community Member

it seems to be one of those quantum leaps that chromecast cannot make: correcting this issue. more and more people are reporting this issue and to date i have not seen any effort to correct the problem. i guess the gods at google chromecast must feel that we do not rate a quality product, but they rate our money.....

JorgenLarsen
Community Member

I see the pattern. It`s all about surveillance. NSA or corresponding is present on all file streaming exchanges.

Purpose is to register that you are present. A very primitive way… but it works as you will restore the faulty connection..

I suggest the community / individuals to log via WireShark.

I am sure it is an actual / “on purpose” command issued by ???
Might be possible to trace with WireShark although spoofing is used …

only one way to find out… log the incident ☝️

Andrei007
Community Member

Help. My chromecast is restarting everyday between 3pm and 4pm. What can I do? I just discovered this forum and don't have time to read all comments. Give me a quick fix please.

Andrei007,

This has been happening to many of us for more than a year.  I have seen no coherent response from Google.  I don't think there is a "quick fix".  I'm not sure that anyone from Google is paying any attention at all.

asfaltsflickan
Community Member

Yeah, I’ve been sending increasingly annoyed feedback via the Google Home app for months and haven’t heard a peep back. They have oodles of data if they wanted to look at this problem but obviously no one at Google cares. There’s no fix and there will most likely never be one. 

PixieDust2023
Community Member

Ode to Chromecast……

Chromecast, you’re such a joker,

playing with resets which makes me think I broke her.

If it was April fools, I would understand,

you would almost think it was planned.

You never fail to let me down,

when the clock strikes 3 you shut me down.

I think good golly is that time,

or am I simply losing my mind?

My favourite show is gone in a flash,

and all I am left with is the crash.

Maybe I should give Chromecast the boot,

now wouldn’t that be a hoot.

If I wanted a clock, I would have bought a rooster,

but maybe what I need is a morale booster.

It really is a blow,

when we paid you so.

It sends me around the twist,

I really hope you get the gist.

Please fix your bugs we implore you,

and maybe once more we will adore you.

PixieDust2023 ©

I couldn't be more proud of human creativity with this ode 😆

Spinny
Community Member

That's fantastic!  Hahaha 

briochie
Community Member

I’m also still seeing this. Have for at least a year now. It is consistently between 3-4pm, like others have said.