cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Chromecast with Google TV refuses to Reset!

Bobarama
Community Member

My Chromecast with Google TV has been down for months now (Model GZRNL). It hit an error one evening and never recovered. I have no access via the TV screen so the remote can't be used, and it does not show in the Home app now either. The reset button on the unit will not activate the reset either. I have rebooted everything including phone, chromebook, router and of course the Chromecast dozens of times each with no success. I also recently got a new router (Xfinity) And set it all up from new and that did nothing. The rest of my multitude of devices function with no problems. If I try to use it startup hangs indefinitely as soon a the Google "G" first appears on the TV screen. How do I get this resolved?

4 REPLIES 4

TechWithBrett
Silver Product Expert
Silver Product Expert

Hello Bobarama,

Thanks for letting us know of your issue with the Chromecast with Google TV. Have you tried to perform a factory reset from the unit?

To do this:

From the Chromecast device

1. While the Chromecast is plugged into the TV and powered, press and hold the button on the back of the Chromecast. The LED should start to blink yellow. 
  2. When the LED light turns solid white, release the button, and the Chromecast should then reset.

Once this is complete, and if the device is able to turn on the startup screen, you need need to go through the setup again and add your account and apps.

Let me know if that is able to solve the problem and we will go from there.

Brett

Hi Brett,

I have done that and so much more as you can see here:

My Chromecast with Google TV has been down for months now (Model GZRNL). It hit an error one evening and never recovered. I have no access via the TV screen so the remote can't be used, and it does not show in the Home app now either. The reset button on the unit will not activate the reset either. I have rebooted everything including phone, chromebook, router and of course the Chromecast dozens of times each with no success. I also recently got a new router (Xfinity) And set it all up from new and that did nothing. The rest of my multitude of devices function with no problems. If I try to use it, startup hangs indefinitely as soon as Google "G" first appears on the TV screen. How do I get this resolved?

The LED on the unit does not even indicate anything is occurring ... no flashing, color change, etc

To say I have spent a little time on this would be a gross understatement at this point. Bobarama_0-1681336868873.png

Bobarama_1-1681336868874.png

Have you ever come across this before? 

Bob

Bobarama
Community Member

The Serial number for this unit is OC151HFDD186VB, and it was purchased at the Google Store as I usually do. 👍😎👍

TechWithBrett
Silver Product Expert
Silver Product Expert

Thank you for the additional details @Bobarama. Are you using the included USB-C cable and power supply that came with the device? Have you tried doing this in a different outlet?

If you try this and are still not able to have success in using the Chromecast with Google TV, I would recommend you start a return of the product or can submit a warranty claim if beyond the return window. Here are the details to do that: https://support.google.com/store/answer/6160400?hl=en#zippy=

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Brett