cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Chromecast with Google TV remote buttons double click issue

LukeTS
Community Member

Hi there,

I've had this issue for a couple of months now and I'm wondering if it's hardware or software related. I believe it started after an update was pushed to the remote a while ago.

Basically, when I use the remote to navigate an app or the home screen sometimes the click action gets issues twice. For example, I'm scrolling right on a list (like in the Youtube app or on the home screen) and even though I'm only clicking once, sometimes the list scrolls twice, which can be really annoying and I've opened the wrong video on multiple occasions. Has anyone else experienced this? Is this maybe a hardware defect?

10 REPLIES 10

naltimari
Community Member

I was having the same behaviour, but actually worse, sometimes the button is not responsive for a couple of seconds, then it goes berserk and starts clicking as if the clicks were 'buffered' and then sent all at the same time to the main unit.

Today I did a factory reset on the remote (yes, there is a way to do that) and firmware went back to 2.22. It seems to be normal now. After I re-paired the remote, the screen says there is an update to the remote, but I haven't applied it yet. It will probably do it automatically, though... maybe the latest firmware is defective.

LukeTS
Community Member

Hey, thanks for your reply. This sounds very similar to what I experience. Would you mind pointing me into the right direction for instructions on how to reset the firmware of the remote? I have a strong feeling that it was the latest firmware that introduced those 'buffered' clicks.

naltimari
Community Member

Actually the factory reset on the remote wasnt effective, the problem was back. I just factory reset the Chromecast, and it seems the problem is gone... Let's see

GothamNY
Bronze
Bronze

Hey @LukeTS I doubt it. It could be batteries, wireless/bt interference obstruction to line of sight or even clicking twice when it doesn't seem to respond the first time. The lag caused by things mentioned above catches up and it records two clicks.

I've had this issue before and it happens but it doesn't necessarily mean there's a bug or hardware failure; the device works on radio waves and even a microwave can cause interference. Try rebooting the CCwGTV, that usually clears things up.

Do you work In the same team that is responsible for the last firmware update? Otherwise your opinion is not worth anything. Even if you did work at the same team, you should be aware that these kinds of bugs are very possible. The fact that it works on radio waves is irrelevant, and by the way the remote also supports infrared, but the connection between the remote and the unit is via Bluetooth, which is a very buggy protocol.

I don't work for Google, I'm a user like yourself, trying to help other users, sorry it wasn't helpful, it works for me and as I suggested rebooting the CCwGTV and as you reported, it did seem to fix it. The issue occurs from time to time and happens often and long before any update; interference can also cause problems as can devices getting out of sync even while connected.

Yes, I'm aware it works on IR but you didn't indicate that's what you were using, did you, or did I miss that in the details from your OP? Good luck.

LukeTS
Community Member

Just an FYI, the person you're responding to isn't OP. I'm OP 😅

Dr_Pete
Community Member

No solution, but another clue. I have the same issue with a Kogan Smart TV and its remote, running Android TV version 9. It goes away for weeks or months with rebooting (who hides "Restart" in the "About" menu?), so I guess it's a software interface bug.

lars79
Community Member

I had the same problem with the remote - my solution - I paired the remote from Nvidia Shield - problem solved 🙂

DiFS
Community Member

Have anyone tried an HDMI extension cable to move the Google Chromecast away from the TV?