cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Disable random MAC on network before it is connected

Grebloken
Community Member
Have to whitelist chromecast for a network, but can't turn off mac randomization until connected

I am trying to support use of chromecast in a elderly home and its a disaster. Here is our problem: 

1. The home requires wifi devices to display login web page which chromecast can't handle. 

2. The home provides a mac bypass whitelist service, but chromecast users can't actually see what their randomized mac address is - can only see what the physical mac address is.

3. Users can't disable the mac randomization of a specific network until they are actually connected to that network. 

Can you just not disable mac randomization for all networks as a default of the device????

3 REPLIES 3

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

No unfortunately. Fundamentally, Chromecast doesn't support these types of Wi-Fi networks known as captive portals, that require you to login or register devices to access the internet.

The only way to resolve this would be to:

1. Temporarily disable MAC address filtering on the network.
  2. Setup Chromecast as normal with the Google Home app.
  3. Once setup, on your Chromecast itself, go to Settings > Network & Internet > Wi-Fi.
  4. Select the Wi-Fi network.
  5. Scroll down and select Advanced.
  6. Under Privacy, uncheck the box next to Use randomized MAC > Save.
  7. Open the Google Home app on your phone or tablet.
  8. Tap the Devices tab, then tap your Chromecast.
  9. Tap the Settings cog at the top right, then Device information. You'll see the MAC address at the bottom.

Whitelist this MAC address in on the network. MAC address filtering can then be re-enabled.

This problem could easily be fixed with Google just setting the option with randomised MAC  as global  in the settings tab and not per network SSID.

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

True, although I assume there's potentially a reason why it's been implemented in this way.

I’d encourage you to also send this feedback directly to Google. You will not receive a response, unless Google need more details from you, however the team are still reading the feedback.